amuck-landowner

Playing with Openvz

scott2020

Hi all,

Just for fun I took my old PC and loaded CentOS 6 on it, along with Openvz.  I downloaded a few of the preconfigured machine templates and have a few VM's running on it.  I don't plan on getting into the VPS market or anything like that, but just like to play around.  I have a single NIC with a public IP address on the hardware node running iptables firewall.  For the VM containers, I am using 192.168 IP's with NAT since I only have 1 public IP.  On the hardware node, I also installed OpenVZ Web Panel 2.4 to manage it.

Is the OpenVZ Web panel a good option?  Is it secure or have any known exploits?  I know there are other panels out there, but I'm not looking to spend any money on this hobby. 

Thanks for any advice!

KuJoe

Verified Provider
If it's just a hobby you can get by with the command line (vzctl) for pretty much everything. Is there anything specifically you need in a GUI?

scott2020

If it's just a hobby you can get by with the command line (vzctl) for pretty much everything. Is there anything specifically you need in a GUI?
Probably not.  It just looked like a good tool to make it a little easier and see a snapshot of what is going on.  I came across it on OpenVZ's site and it says it is consistently updated, but then I noticed it looks to be around 2 years old.  That's why I was concerned about the security of it.

HalfEatenPie

The Irrational One
Retired Staff
Honestly if it's just for local use then I don't see the problem with it.  I'd say just make sure it's not open access to the public.  

amuck-landowner