amuck-landowner

OpenVZ VPS high load cause

ICPH

Hello,

on OpenVZ VPS (apache webserver) when running "top" command, i have average average 75% CPU idle, around 60% RAM free and %wa value (HDD I/O) is at zero

Load grows to around 20.00 +

what else please should i check to find out which limit need to be increased on VPS please?

CPU, RAM, limits looks good as mentioned above

KuJoe

Verified Provider
I'm thinking the rest of the node is taxed so any minor usage will look bad from your VPS.

I have a VPS with an LET provider where if you run adduser it will spike the load to 10+ for 5-10 minutes, same with any vi usage. It's because the node is poorly managed and not a reflection of my VPS usage.

Last edited by a moderator:

DomainBop

Dormant VPSB Pathogen
on OpenVZ VPS (apache webserver) when running "top" command, i have average average 75% CPU idle, around 60% RAM free and %wa value (HDD I/O) is at zero

Load grows to around 20.00 +
If you're running Apache my guess would be you're getting hit with brute force attacks, hackerbots which are causing the load spikes.

ICPH

Rest of the VPSs load averages looking good on node. These values appears to be decent, only 3 VPS has load over 1.00 and they dont have load higher than 3.00.

There is more than 10 visitors opening an webpage at a time on mentioned VPS, but as mentioned "top" results dont looks like something is exhausted on that VPS.

Flapadar

Verified Provider

Rest of the VPSs load averages looking good on node. These values appears to be decent, only 3 VPS has load over 1.00 and they dont have load higher than 3.00.

There is more than 10 visitors opening an webpage at a time on mentioned VPS, but as mentioned "top" results dont looks like something is exhausted on that VPS.

Sounds like a failing drive. Run a smart long test on all of your drives. It's common for a VPS or few which has some data on a bad sector to have insane load before the drive dies.  The other VPS's might not have a very high load

Last edited by a moderator:
amuck-landowner