amuck-landowner

GRE Tunneling Question

Dillybob

Since LET seems to not give a fuck... Here is my question from there. (I think this forum houses more educated individuals :D)

I would assume just out of common sense that if you buy a filtered IP (lets say BuyVM's for example), and then you use that to tunnel to your main dedicated server.

My question is: Should your dedicated server's location be in the same state as where you're going to be tunneling from? [Or atleast, in a certain mile radius] Like, you don't want a filtered ip box in WA State, and then your dedi is located in New York, right? Or is the speed difference negligible when tunneling?

Edit: Now that I think of it, for my example above wouldn't that be 2 round trips? The tunnel has to connect from WA State to New York, then the New York dedicated box has to connect back to WA State (IF WE are assuming someone is connecting from WA State) which would make the latency duration/lag even longer... or am I over-thinking this?

Last edited by a moderator:

telephone

Since LET seems to not give a fuck... Here is my question from there. (I think this forum houses more educated individuals :D)
grillmaster's answer at LET was spot on.

Distance is not the measure you should be using, use latency instead. If your provider shares good peering/transit with the filtered IP provider, then latency will be lower than a closer (distance wise) provider with poor peering.

But yes, you'd normally want to be within the same datacenter or peering group to keep overheads to a minimum. For example, in Los Angeles and Denver many providers use Any2Exchange (CoreSite) peering.

Dillybob

grillmaster's answer at LET was spot on.

Distance is not the measure you should be using, use latency instead. If your provider shares good peering/transit with the filtered IP provider, then latency will be lower than a closer (distance wise) provider with poor peering.

But yes, you'd normally want to be within the same datacenter or peering group to keep overheads to a minimum. For example, in Los Angeles and Denver many providers use Any2Exchange (CoreSite) peering.
Awww ok sweet! Just double checking and wanted other thoughts. I'll definitely keep latency / location in mind when finding a dedi and gre tunnel box. I'll most likely choose BuyVM for the GRE :)

Munzy

Since BUYVM gives you an unfiltered IP as well, you could GRE to that, and use the IPTABLES section to specify going out of the DDOS protected IP. That should lower the ping as well.

Dillybob

Since BUYVM gives you an unfiltered IP as well, you could GRE to that, and use the IPTABLES section to specify going out of the DDOS protected IP. That should lower the ping as well.
This is only if I don't choose a Dedi tho and choose them for hosting, right?

Dillybob

Yeppers... Versaweb is same DC in Vegas (unsure which DC you are considering / location)... Versaweb has some good low price dedis.
I'll give them a look. I just really wish @Francisco would offer dedi's :) Been yelping at him since January :wub: ... 

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
I'll give them a look. I just really wish @Francisco would offer dedi's :) Been yelping at him since January :wub: ... 
See my above comment at least for Vegas.   

If you are going in other DC locations Fran can certainly refer you to a good dedi provider in same facility.

Dillybob

See my above comment at least for Vegas.   

If you are going in other DC locations Fran can certainly refer you to a good dedi provider in same facility.
Yeah definitely. Versaweb seems very cheap for their XEONS.  bd11db6b5201d11f080d6b40a8674b2d.png

Only cheap if you do not select DDOS protection.. haha.  That's when GRE tunneling comes into play!! Can save you quite a bit of money and protect your main IP though, so it's a win win.  I'll add these guys to my list, still need to do some finishing touches on my game before I buy.  

Edit: Hell, free setup is nice as well.

Edit2: Dat bandwidth... Holy shit <3

Dillybob

Wow, I'm dumb. Forgive me, that actually includes FREE DDOS protection.  Just not enterprise. (Which is perfectly fine), oh wow that makes their deal even better.. haha.

amuck-landowner