amuck-landowner

SolusVM/Virtualizor OpenVZ Rescue Mode/Serial Console SFTP capable?

Gang Starr

I don't have a VPS with a rescue mode/serial console similar to the one of SolusVM or Virtualizor for OpenVZ so I can't test but I guess some of you can tell their experience.

So do these serial console and rescue modes actually support SFTP into the VPS? I'm talking about the kind of rescue/serial console where you get SSH login details.

Gang Starr

SSH is different to SFTP...?
SFTP is mounted as a subsystem of SSH (see sshd_conf). 

That however does not mean that these serial console details I get for SSH login allow SFTP login. 

And I have no VPS with SolusVM/Virtualizor based on OpenVZ. I cannot test it myself. I'd be wondering if that kind of emergency access also allows file transfer to backup things if necessary.

That's just for XEN/KVM

and SFTP does work for both

I know that this rescue mode (for XEN/KVM) supports SFTP because it's more or less a OS booted form like a Live CD but OpenVZ is different.

Last edited by a moderator:

perennate

Verified Provider
SFTP is not supported. The serial console works by having you connect to the host node via SSH, and then forcing launch of the vzctl command to enter the OpenVZ container (you can't run any other command). Since the connection with container is via vzctl console and not SSH, you can't connect with SFTP.

amuck-landowner