amuck-landowner

Help with this please(nameservers)

Vega

So I am at the end of my month with my current host and I am trying to migrate to a new host I signed up with earlier this month.
The reviews are good and they are fairly active within the Wht/hosting community. My problem with the nameserver is the fact they assigned me a nameserver for my vps and I dislike it. Like I know it is trivial and silly but with any hosts I have had, I have ALWAYS been able to choose my VPS nameservers. I'd like to be able to brand my site the way I wish.

They gave me(not my actual nameservers of course lol)
vps1332.ns.hostname.net
vps1332-1.ns.hostname.net

for the nameservers and that truly annoys me because I want to use whatever I chose.

Also this is also my hostname in the nameserver and it doesn't seem like that should be there. But maybe that is me.

I even raised a ticket with them and this is where the issue comes in...they are a bilingual host that speaks English but sometimes the translation doesn't seem to translate over. I've asked for them to create the nameservers and they are insistent I use theirs which I don't want to use. I'd like to brand my nameservers/site my way and they won't do it. I always get the "you should use our nameservers."

So I tried to google and log into WHM to do it myself but when I follow the directions I get....

You are out of ip addresses you can use as nameservers.

So I am unsure of what I am doing wrong lol. It's really annoying me.

I've always been able to when I sign-up with any host at the start choose my own

1. Hostname

2. nameservers

I did have them try and make the nameservers when they did the migration like a week ago and I checked whatsmydns and it was not propagating. I looked later into it and come to find out I was getting an error saying mismatched NS record and I had to switch back to my old host's ip to get my site back up and running.

(I also had them try to change the hostname and they claimed they did, however everytime I go, it's always the old hostname).

For the hostnames parts, you just need to create an A record and point to the VPS IP, for the nameservers if you are using NameCheap for example you go to "Nameserver Registration", and add the IP's of the nameservers.

Kind of easy to do...

- Henrique

WSWD

Verified Provider
The host gave you nameservers to use out of convenience for YOU.  Some people don't want to go through the trouble of setting up their own DNS on their VPS, so they give some for your use.  No different than using your domain registrar's DNS (if they provide it).  You aren't required to use them, by any means. 

You need to run your own DNS server on your VPS...BIND, or such.  The number of IP addresses doesn't really matter, as if you are trying to use multiple IPs on the same server for DNS, you are simply wasting IP space.  Just use your main VPS IP address for both NS1 and NS2. 

Once you are sure you have DNS "software" running on our VPS, and it's configured properly, the next step is doing what @HenriqueSousa said.  You need to create the nameservers at your domain registrar, and point them to your VPS.

Last edited by a moderator:

Clouvider-Dom

Verified Provider
You can always create your own servers with your own hosts. It's rather not compulsory to use the provider's DNS servers.

amuck-landowner