• Announcements

• MannDude

Current state of vpsBoard   02/04/2017

Dear vpsBoard members and guests:

Over the last year or two vpsBoard activity and traffic has dwindled. I have had a change of career and interests, and as such am no longer an active member of the web hosting industry.

Due to time constraints and new interests I no longer wish to continue to maintain vpsBoard. The web site will remain only as an archive to preserve and showcase some of the great material, guides, and industry news that has been generated by members, some of which I remain in contact to this very day and now regard as personal friends.

I want to thank all of our members who helped make vpsBoard the fastest growing industry forum. In it's prime it was an active and ripe source of activity, news, guides and just general off-topic banter and fun.

I wish all members and guests the very best, whether it be with your business or your personal projects.

-MannDude
MannDude

What is your preferred web server?

Which web server do you prefer?   68 members have voted

1. 1. What is your favorite web server?

• Apache
    • Nginx
    • Lighttpd
    • Litespeed
    • Hiawatha
    • Cherokee
    • IIS
    • h2o
    • Apache Tomcat
    • Oracle iPlanet
    • Passenger
    • Gunicorn
    • Other

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

43 posts in this topic

...and why?

I thought it would be interesting to see what web server vpsBoard members prefer for their own projects. I assume Nginx may be the crowd favorite but I may just end up being surprised. I didn't list all the random web server options available so if your favorite is not in the list please select 'Other' and let us know what you preference is.

Lighttpd is still my favorite although the development activity isn't the best, I'm still using it whenever I need to build a webserver from scratch (otherwise I go with nginx + Apache2).

I've generally found nginx to be easier to work with for my projects, not to mention easier on resources.

nginx, because it's lightweight and actively updated.

Where da fark is Apache Tomcat, Oracle iPlanet, or...or...or in that list?

currently using:

your average PHP site: either  Nginx frontend/ Apache2 backend or Tengine frontend / Apache2 backend

Java: Tomcat

Ruby: Passenger

Python: Gunicorn

Where da fark is Apache Tomcat, Oracle iPlanet, or...or...or in that list?

currently using:

your average PHP site: either  Nginx frontend/ Apache2 backend or Tengine frontend / Apache2 backend

Java: Tomcat

Ruby: Passenger

Python: Gunicorn

Check the poll again :)

I prefer using apache. It just work.

I used to always use lighttpd since @scv got me into it, but moved to nginx about a year and a half ago and haven't looked back. Both are amazing webservers, I just liked nginx more in the end.

LSWS (Enterprise) for my cPanel servers. As for everything else, well, in most cases I would go for nginx. Naturally it all depends on the project/situation. Overall, I go for nginx.

OpenBSD's httpd is my preferred server these days. It does not have many features, so I use nginx for more complex setups.

1 person likes this

I'm pretty used to Apache's config, I'm fine with nginx but would still prefer similar syntax. Cherokee offers me an Apache-like config syntax and its pretty light and awesome too. Hence, Cherokee.

NGINX all the way baby. Thing is an absolute monster.

Nginx + Apache sometime Varnish + Apache Depends on what is running.

no OpenLiteSpeed listing ?

For WHM/Cpanel = LiteSpeed

For non-cpanel  = CentminMod flavoured Nginx :D (Centmin Mod will have planned OpenLiteSpeed support in future though ;) )

post-388-0-11501200-1435587891_thumb.png

Apache + Nginx, It is a beautiful thing.

Telnet.

thttpd for quick and dirty.  

nginx if I need php, cgi, or extra functionality.

Nginx for me, ever since I put my hands on it I fell in love with its simplicity and the horsepower that it delivers.

Add some varnish goodness on top of it if you need caching and you're all set to deliver content to a lot of users with reasonable resources.