amuck-landowner

Anti Spam Protection

trueman1

Verified Provider
i like Nodewatch

it's for OpenVZ VPS that makes VPS hosting business a much safer one.

It works with many control panel: SolusVM, Parallels, KiwiVM, vePortal (or no panel at all).

look here: http://vpsantiabuse.com/

nodewatch is free !

Last edited by a moderator:

Husky

Verified Dog
Verified Provider
I commented on nodewatch elsewhere.

I just wrote my own script to monitor conntrack and alert me if something goes too high. I'd much rather manually intervene. Nodewatch was generating far too many false positives with liberal settings and / or would just take a shit and crash.

KuJoe

Verified Provider
nodewatch gets my vote. It's been solid and stable for us and the developers are quick to respond to e-mails. I wish it had some specific features, but I can live with the way it is now. :)

Clouvider-Dom

Verified Provider
For Spam Protection I would definitely recommend Spam Experts :).

They do outgoing too.

bigwetfish

Spam Experts would get our vote as well.  `We've been using it for more than a year now.  A little difficult to get our heads around it initially but for most clients it works well for us.   Not sure on their retail rates as we partnered with them.  

Their licensing is clever though.  If you partner as a web host  as we did we are not 'technically' allowed to resell licenses as it's against their TOS.  The idea is you bundle it with every plan you sell I believe.  We had to talk to them to ask them to allow us to upsell to existing LEGACY clients only as we did not want to force price increase all clients.

However it is a product we have found to be very effective.

IndoVirtue

Verified Provider
I used nodewatch as well, no problems so far.

On a side note, does anyone know nodewatch equivalent for KVM virtualization? I'm particularly interested in auto-suspend/alert feature when SMTP active connections exceeds certain threshold (spam activity).

jzabel

I am currently using nodewatch, but i am going to look at what Spam Experts has to offer due to the high praise here.

MightWeb-Greg

Verified Provider
I used nodewatch as well, no problems so far.

On a side note, does anyone know nodewatch equivalent for KVM virtualization? I'm particularly interested in auto-suspend/alert feature when SMTP active connections exceeds certain threshold (spam activity).

The "best" way that I've found for KVM virtualization is to just block port 25 via iptables and those that want it go through a verification process with a "we don't tolerate spam reports" disclaimer and it seems to be working. But I'd be interested if somebody else has a way like you're requesting as it would be a lot more user friendly.

LeaseVPS

Verified Provider
We had heaps of issues with all sorts of abuse from our VPS clients. We started doing some big data (ELK reporting) on our sflow data which would show us abuse before it even got reported

Clients would come up with all sorts of BS excuses but when we showed them the ELK reports they would just cancel

The other option for you is to run a SMTP service / gateway and block all direct SMTP, I've heard of people using things like scrolloutf1 for more of a turn key solution, but with anti-spam you have heaps of options to block spam on gateway / mail forwarder

We watch our ELK reports, if we suspect spam, we can turn on port mirroring based off an ACL, which just gives us the full packets for SMTP traffic, We provide the pcaps to our clients and block outbound smtp

abuse is just one of those things if you let it get out of control it will effect your legit clients and ultimately your reputation

Localnode

Verified Provider
For outbound spam I would recommend Mailchannels and for incoming I would go for spam experts, I woudnt really recommend Spam experts for outbound filtering.

Same here. Mailchannels is also much more reasonably priced for outgoing.
Can't beat Spam Experts for incoming mail filtering, though. Best I've used (and I've tried many).

SkyNetHosting

Same here. Mailchannels is also much more reasonably priced for outgoing.
Can't beat Spam Experts for incoming mail filtering, though. Best I've used (and I've tried many).

We have done little testing on spam experts and mainly using MC. We know its good but up to what extent? is it as good as gmail spam filters, what does the clients say?

Localnode

Verified Provider
We have done little testing on spam experts and mainly using MC. We know its good but up to what extent? is it as good as gmail spam filters, what does the clients say?

Mailchannels is outbound only. Spam Experts IMO is one of the best inbound filters - probably on par with GMail, if not slightly better.
Also cheaper - Google Apps at $5 /user, whereas some companies charge in terms of mail volume, or a flat rate per month (per domain). 

SkyNetHosting

I'm not negating, but can you explain why? Is that because of the licensing ?

There is no questions about spam experts being the best incoming mail filter out there and when they originally started they didn't have any outbound filtering and later they developed that in order to tap that market and provide a complete solution, so even they are experts on incoming they are new to outgoing filtering. Also I have been talking with some admin's who manage more than few hundred boxes and it did not improve their IP reputation. On the other hand we are using MC for more than few hundred boxes and never had a single issue for the last year or so. 

amuck-landowner