• Announcements

• MannDude

Current state of vpsBoard   02/04/2017

Dear vpsBoard members and guests:

Over the last year or two vpsBoard activity and traffic has dwindled. I have had a change of career and interests, and as such am no longer an active member of the web hosting industry.

Due to time constraints and new interests I no longer wish to continue to maintain vpsBoard. The web site will remain only as an archive to preserve and showcase some of the great material, guides, and industry news that has been generated by members, some of which I remain in contact to this very day and now regard as personal friends.

I want to thank all of our members who helped make vpsBoard the fastest growing industry forum. In it's prime it was an active and ripe source of activity, news, guides and just general off-topic banter and fun.

I wish all members and guests the very best, whether it be with your business or your personal projects.

-MannDude
MannDude

Who was your first VPS provider?

118 posts in this topic

I want to say the first VPS I bought was with SolarVPS way back when.

GoDaddy  way back . I remember the hot models in the ads.

Noted: UFOs and hot girl models sell VPS.

2 people like this

BurstNET OpenVZ.

I know...   ;)

BurstNET OpenVZ.

I know...   ;)

I tried Burst and it was Bursted.  Really screwed up shop and that was in more recent years.

BlueVM

Tried BlueVM and really wanted them to do well.  That was back when you'd swear Ishan owned the place.  Was very bad.

My very first VPS was with BuyVM. I haven't been in the VPS game for that many years. I had a server before a VPS and that was with WANSecurity.

vpsville.ca in June of 2009. Looks like they still have the same prices as six years ago.

1 person likes this

Noted: UFOs and hot girl models sell VPS.

Not exactly my reason. But I have to admit, while it did cost them some customers,[ it was a risky move ],  most of their client base just became customer because of the impact of their godaddy v1 ads. The type of customer they were aiming was the non technical.

But well, "ITS GO TIME!" 

ServInt, around 2003. $49/month for 256MB VPS with CPanel. Was pretty good :)

123systems.net

Admittedly they were pretty bad and had terrible uptime, but they were all I knew at the time. And they were dirt, dirt cheap. Like $3 VPS' before anybody else offered anything like that. But yeah, that was back when I was all about hosting Minecraft servers.

My first was HostV (VPS side of Cirtex) in December of 2007. They were bought by A Small Orange/HostNine a few years back.

Same here, though I can't remember quite when it was. Thinking somewhere around December 2008, perhaps later.

It was something like $300-400/yr for a 512MB (1GB burstable) Virtuozzo VPS with 50GB storage, 100MBPS for ~500GB/mo, cPanel + R1Soft backup + Full Management.

The server performed well enough for what was needed, but after being burned by total data loss, including R1Soft backups, we parted ways.

My first VPS was with Steadfast back in 2006. Paid $29.95 a month for 

7 GB of Disk Space
200 GB of Monthly Data Transfer
128 MHz - Minimum Guaranteed CPU
128 MB - Minimum Guaranteed RAM
Fully Managed

cPanel

http://web.archive.org/web/20060702235244/http://steadfast.net/services/vps.php

I remember the VPS kept crashing and kinda turned me off from the VPS world for a while.

Linode was one of my first providers, still love them to this day.

The other was CVPS and Alienvps. Nearly refuse to do business with both at this point.

My first commercial vps provider was vpscheap.net in 2011: http://web.archive.org/web/20110927081956/http://vpscheap.net/

OpenVZ Linux VPS 1
128MB RAM 256MB burstable
15GB RAID 6 space
10Mbit/s 
1 IP Address
Full root access

$3.99 per month.

Terrible network speed and capped I/O. But a great playground - reinstalled it once a week.

More than one year later I took a better choice and bought three vps from Frantech and Secure Dragon - still using them.

Probably JaguarPC or HostDime, was running a tiny shared hosting company with a friend in 2006-ish. Then SliceHost for unmanaged in 07.

SliceHost for unmanaged in 07.

Ah, I remember SliceHost. Didn't they get bought by Linode?

1 person likes this

Ah, I remember SliceHost. Didn't they get bought by Linode?

They were acquired by RackSpace :)

1 person likes this

They were acquired by RackSpace :)

Ah, thank you :)

I knew it was one of the bigger guys, but I forgot which

BurstNet in... 2009? 2010?

Not a good experience although it did last a while before before I started to experience the horrors that others had described