amuck-landowner

Issues running VPS from home computer?

swolf

I'm the first to admit I'm not computer savvy and have got myself into a bit of a tangle. I'm trying to run a VPS from the same computer as my main computer. This is to host metatrader 4 and my EA for my forex trading. The main reason I require a VPS is so that my EA (Expert Advisor) can execute trades without my presence and a consistent connection is always in place. I installed the VPS and the EA to the VPS okay, but when I open metatrader 4 from with main computer or the VPS (the same computer) Metatrader 4 briefly begins to operate before shutting down. I don't know the reason for this but I'm guessing I'm not suppose to run the VPS from my main computer as they interfere with each other or I simply don't have enough RAM to run both from the same computer? Does this sound plausible or is it something else? Any help appreciated.

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
Tell us more. 

What are you running locally for the virtualization?

System Requirements
  • Windows 2000 / XP / Vista
  • 2.0 GHz or faster CPU
  • 512 MB RAM (1 GB recommended)
  • Screen resolution 1024x768 or higher
  • Modem/connection speed 36.6 Kbps or faster
  • Internet Explorer version 7.0 or later
  • Mozilla FireFox 2.0 or later
Those are the requirements.  Nothing too severe.  Did you allocate enough RAM?

swolf

The VPS has been supplied by my forex broker. Not sure of what the requirements are. I've got 3.5GB of useable RAM out of 4 GB.

2.2GHz Processor

Come to think of it, I did try to trouble shoot the problem and it mentioned disabling Windows Areo which I did, but it didn't make any difference. Might have something to do with the screen resolution

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
"I open metatrader 4 from with main computer or the VPS (the same computer) Metatrader 4 briefly begins to operate before shutting down."

Saying Metatrader isn't working now on either local computer or VPS?

Perhaps it's a license issue?  Two installs, different IPs... Unsure how they enforce that...

VPS specs seem more than ample.

Tried contacting Metatrader about the issue?

amuck-landowner