amuck-landowner

Best Linux tool for ripping a DVD?

MannDude

Just a dude
vpsBoard Founder
Was going through some old spools of CD/DVD-R's and stumbled upon the only copy of a DVD me and some friends made as our final project in our Film Literature class ten years ago in High School. Was talking to a good friend who is featured in it as well and he wants a copy but lives out of town. What would be the best way to rip it's content so I can upload it to a server so he can download a MP4 or AVI file of it?

telephone

If you want the GUI approach, then use Handbrake. It's dead simple, and gives you a good selection of config options (both basic and advanced).

Use your Google-fu if you're stuck, there's plenty of guides out there.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mid

won't just a 'dd' work? (or some that makes it as an iso)

I think the time it takes for the conversion could be compensated with the upload. (let the receiver do the conversion if needed). I tried with handbrake (when I was with windows) some time ago, but I remember it didn't work. I used some other tool (don't remember that now) to do the conversion.

AuroraZero

I use Handbrake and another called WinFF. Both do a great job and are not hard to use. Yes you can go old school FFMpeg from the command line but that can be a pain when you are in a hurry. I convert some files for my Ipod classic and what not. Sometimes rip DVDs for it and those two seem to do the best job for me anyways.

Of course I run Slackware so I am a little odd anyways. :)

amuck-landowner