• Announcements

• MannDude

Current state of vpsBoard   02/04/2017

Dear vpsBoard members and guests:

Over the last year or two vpsBoard activity and traffic has dwindled. I have had a change of career and interests, and as such am no longer an active member of the web hosting industry.

Due to time constraints and new interests I no longer wish to continue to maintain vpsBoard. The web site will remain only as an archive to preserve and showcase some of the great material, guides, and industry news that has been generated by members, some of which I remain in contact to this very day and now regard as personal friends.

I want to thank all of our members who helped make vpsBoard the fastest growing industry forum. In it's prime it was an active and ripe source of activity, news, guides and just general off-topic banter and fun.

I wish all members and guests the very best, whether it be with your business or your personal projects.

-MannDude
DomainBop

Hetzner Adds 8-core ODROID-XU4 ARM Based Server Line

25 posts in this topic

First 8-core ARM offering announced today by Hetzner. 

Pricing ex. VAT is € 9.90 € 9.90 for the smallest  2GB RAM/32GB MicroSD model,   The top of the line € 19.90 + € 19.90 setup is 2GB RAM/32GB MicroSD + 240GB SSD

8 core Samsung Exynos-5422 Octa-Core processors

1 1 Gbit/s-Port port/ 200 Mbit/s-Port guaranteed, 10TB traffic

Ubuntu 15.04 minimal operating system for ARM is currently the only OS offered

https://www.hetzner.de/us/hosting/produktmatrix/rootserver-produktmatrix-ax

The processor:

Equipped with four big cores (ARM® Cortex® -A15™ up to 2.1GHz) and four small cores (ARM® Cortex® -A7™ up to 1.5 GHz), the processor provides improved processing capabilities while maintaining the most efficient power consumption beyond imagination...

http://www.samsung.com/global/business/semiconductor/minisite/Exynos/w/solution.html#?v=octa_5422

2 people like this

Thanks for the finding.
Looks quite good and far beyond the Raspberry Pi hosting offers.

1 person likes this

One drawback: SD-Card as storage.
If you look at the Online.Net offer of https://www.scaleway.com they offer cloud storage + no setup fees + hourly billing.

Both offers are interesting.  The Hetzner one seems to have more network resources and maybe a faster cpu (scaleway is mysterious about what cpu it uses, claiming it's equivalent to an AWS M3 Medium instance).  The local disk has its attractions, as does the cloud storage.  The Scaleway cloud storage is cheaper if you need a lot.  Scaleway currently doesn't have ipv6, though they say they're working on it.  Scaleway has no setup fee, hourly billing, and a 1 month free offer for up to 10 units. 

Nice to see someone else jumping on this. Online.net really bombed with Scaleway to me, not because it wasn't a good offering, but because the network seems intentionally slow (like lucky to pull of 10mbit to most places) on those things when we all know online.net has a great network.

Edited by jarland

Scaleway also offers free servers for 30 minutes. Inspired by InstantServer, I'm sure :)

Thanks!  I was able to try that out and run some benchmarks.  Hand-wavingly I'd say it's around 1/10th of the speed of my i7-3770 Hetzner dedi, which is a pretty fast box.  That means with their 10 unit, 1 month deal you get the computational equivalent of a fairly serious dedi for 1 month for free.  After that it's 20 cents an hour (.02 each) but I think runabove.net x86 servers may end up more attractive.  Runabove itself has a 1 week trial offer.

I might try the scaleway 24 hour trial (need to give them a phone number for SMS verification to get that) and run some more complicated tests.  Anyway this is good to know about.  I've been wondering for a while about the speed of these ARM boards and it's good to finally get to try one.

I hope they didn't build too many of those boards since it will be more interesting when they get some 64 bit ones.  They should be about 2x as fast.

Scaleway also offers free servers for 30 minutes. Inspired by InstantServer, I'm sure :)

Thanks!  I was able to try that out and run some benchmarks.  Hand-wavingly I'd say it's around 1/10th of the speed of my i7-3770 Hetzner dedi, which is a pretty fast box.  That means with their 10 unit, 1 month deal you get the computational equivalent of a fairly serious dedi for 1 month for free.  After that it's 20 cents an hour (.02 each) but I think runabove.net x86 servers may end up more attractive.  Runabove itself has a 1 week trial offer.

I might try the scaleway 24 hour trial (need to give them a phone number for SMS verification to get that) and run some more complicated tests.  Anyway this is good to know about.  I've been wondering for a while about the speed of these ARM boards and it's good to finally get to try one.

I hope they didn't build too many of those boards since it will be more interesting when they get some 64 bit ones.  They should be about 2x as fast.

Scaleway reduced their pricing today from 9.99 to 2.99 per server https://www.scaleway.com/pricing/

Scaleway reduced their pricing today from 9.99 to 2.99 per server https://www.scaleway.com/pricing/

Found these ServerBear results for Scaleway (ARMv7 Processor rev 2 v7l ) on LET:  UnixBench around 700 puts them in the same range as an Atom D510 (~670) and N2800 (~750) and better than an Atom D425 or Via Nano U2250 (both around 440).  

http://serverbear.com/benchmark/2015/09/01/XXezDGzS9jKzHCzR

Nice!  And the 1/2 hour trial link still works.  But the 24 hour and 1 month trial offers seem to have disappeared, or at least they are no longer linked from the main page.  Oh well, the price reduction makes up for it ;).

Thanks for the unixbench score, which is pretty consistent with my cpu-intensive benchmarks.

Anyone who is actually using these... how is their network?

Scaleway network was good in the short tryout that I did (downloaded some source code and compiled it, among other things).  I haven't tried the Hetzner XU4's but assuming it's the regular Hetzner network, it's ok, a little bit spotty, you probably know about it.

Is 2gb ram a limit on those arm based server? What if you need more?

Yeah it's a SoC based architecture.   Everything is hard shipped to the board and non-upgradable.

Pricing for this is WAY too high.  € 9.90 a month should be € 4.90  a month.

1 person likes this

Yeah it's a SoC based architecture.   Everything is hard shipped to the board and non-upgradable.

Pricing is EUR 2.99 in the meantime.

Is 2gb ram a limit on those arm based server? What if you need more?

Then you either start to distribute the load on several of those small machines or get a bigger dedicated server.

Pricing is EUR 2.99 in the meantime.

The Hetzner ARM offering is 9.90...  

2.99 EUR is that other company...

You are so right! Where was my mind?

You are so right! Where was my mind?

Your mind was being hopeful like mine :)  You made me go look.

2.99 EUR is a good price, heck a great price all said.  $3.36 for those dealing in US dollars.  With that other company :) Scaleway that is....

Both companies are using Odroid boards.

Scaleway is running a C1 model: http://www.hardkernel.com/main/products/prdt_info.php?g_code=G141578608433  - $35 

Hetzner is running a XU4 model or similar: http://www.hardkernel.com/main/products/prdt_info.php?g_code=G143452239825  - $74

On top of those costs, they have power mechanism (which very well can be a simple USB connector) and storage.

Assumed both are running rackable server versions of this.  Scaleway has promo photos of units housing ~ 18 boards per 1U.

Puts Scaleway near $50~ retail pricing...   Puts Hetzner in the neigborhood of $90-100.

Scaleway at $3.36/mo would take $3/mo optimistically in a month.  Would take 16+ months to break even.  That's just on hardware.  Clearly they buying cheaper and mass (I hope).

Hetzner is $11.12/mo  would take $10.50/mo in a month.  Would take 9-10 months to break even just on hardware. 

ROI on business viability cash flow looks better on Hetzner.  Question is if they actually can fetch that $11+ a month.

Both companies have other scales of economy suspected with rack config with these.  Both better have their numbers right though.  It's lean on numbers as any ARM stuff is going to be where lacking fast connects, native SAS or SATA, etc.

Scaleway uses its own hardware (https://www.scaleway.com/features/) and mentions (https://www.scaleway.com/press/ ) that they use a Marvell SOC and fit 912 servers into a rack.  Hetzner's deployment sounds more experimental but the Odroid board is likely to be a lot faster than the Scaleway board.  I'm guessing about 2x based on some benchmarks I saw, but will try running my own if I get a Scaleway account.  No more free trial > 1/2 hour, but I guess I can afford a day or two at 12 cents a day :). 

Scaleway has a blog post about the price cut (https://blog.scaleway.com/2015/09/02/we-are-slashing-the-c1-price-by-70-percent/ ) but I have to wonder what was really going on, i.e. nobody was willing to pay the old price?  I wonder if the new price is sustainable.  It looks like a good deal for cloud cpu, if your application parallelizes well.

I agree Hetzner's pricing is less attractive, especially since the setup fee makes it unappealing to get one for 1 month just to try it out.  I guess their costs are higher, with that Odroid board.  There will probably be a 64-bit Odroid XU5 at some point, so we'll see what happens then.

1 person likes this

• Similar Content

• By AdvanceSolution
      Hello, 
      it is nice to find a site that is not cluttered with junk. I have been perusing this site for a few months now and finally decided to join. Would love to chat with others on here about technology, I am still learning new things since I was in web hosting for years then got into IT in 2010. 
      I am now in the IT bachelor's program at Broward College, possess an A cert, CIW cert and working on my Net . Hope to get to know some of you. Happy Stumbling!
    • By TurnkeyInternet
      Black Friday Cloud Hosting and Datacenter Deals are here! Up to 95% off for life! Hurry now, before these discount offers are gone forever! View all deals at https://turnkeyinternet.net/blackfriday
      see our Holiday Promotional Page for all our offer details, exclusions and limitations

TurnKey Internet, Inc provides dedicated servers, colocation, web hosting, cloud, and virtual servers from it's company-owned and operated green datacenter. Since 1999, TurnKey Internet, Inc. has built a reputation of outstanding personalized service, reliability, and value. Owning our own datacenter lets our on-site 5-star rated staff answer your questions quickly and provide complete solutions direct from our expert team located right in the same building as your servers.  We are experts in the Cloud Hosting and Datacenter space with a true dedication to your online success every step of the way.

32 GB Dell Poweredge R410 : Dual Hexa-Core X5650 Server Special (24 Cores x 2.66 Ghz!)

Enterprise Grade Dell PowerEdge Servers Qty 2 x Intel  Dual Xeon X5650 Hexa-Core CPUs @ 2.66 GHz (2 CPUS x 6 Cores @ 2.66 GHz) Hyperthreading (HT) Enabled 24 Visible Cores (12 Physical Cores + 12 Via HT) Intel Virtualization Technology (VT) Enabled 32 GB Ram FREE 240 GB SSD or 1TB SATA III Disk (6 GB/s) Un-Metered Bandwidth *100 Mbit* 100 x 100 Mbps Service 100 Mbit Port Included    IPv4: 1 Usable IPs on /30 via Cisco Dedicated Layer 3 port    IPv6: /64 Subnet included    RAID: optional Raid 1/5/10 Upgrade Available Configure up to 4 Total Disks - for Raid 1/5/10 Choice of Linux or Windows operating systems Free Web Reboot Port 100% network uptime guarantee 24x7 toll-free phone, live chat, and help desk support   30-day money back guarantee   NO SETUP FEES No Term Contracts!

Now $49/mo with coupon on 1-year prepay [$599.88/yr]  NOW 90% Off for life! | ORDER NOW
      NOTE: Discount price reflects annual pre-paid commitment or you may select $59/mo

Build Your Own Custom Server Special

Single & Dual Quad-Core Options Up to 32 GB of Ram Up to 4 Disks Un-Metered Bandwidth! ($99/mo bonus value!) Up to Gigabit Port Choice of Linux or Windows operating systems RAID, Backups, Management and KVM Options Available Free Web Reboot Port Up To 61 Usable IP Addresses (/26) 100% network uptime guarantee 24x7 toll-free phone, live chat, and help desk support   30-day money back guarantee   NO Setup fees

From $8/mo with coupon on 1-year prepay [$99/yr]  NOW 95% Off for life! | ORDER NOW
      NOTE: Discount for (Build Your Own Custom Server) price reflects annual pre-paid commitment.
      $8/mo ($99/year) offer based on selection of: X3210 Quad CPU, 8 GB RAM, 4 IP's (1 Usable), 250 GB HDD, 10 Mbit Unmetered, Self Managed Dedicated Server

64 GB Dell Poweredge Dual Hexa-Core X5650 Dedicated Server Special (24 Cores x 2.66 Ghz!)

Enterprise Grade Dell PowerEdge Servers Qty 2 x Intel  Dual Xeon X5650 Hexa-Core CPUs @ 2.66 GHz (2 CPUS x 6 Cores @ 2.66 GHz) Hyperthreading (HT) Enabled 24 Visible Cores (12 Physical Cores + 12 Via HT) Intel Virtualization Technology (VT) Enabled 64 GB Ram FREE 240 GB SSD or 1TB SATA III Disk (6 GB/s) Un-Metered Bandwidth *GigE* 1000 Mbit / GigE Port Included    IPv4: 5 Usable IPs on /29 via Cisco Dedicated Layer 3 port    IPv6: /64 Subnet included    RAID: optional Raid 1/5/10 Upgrade Available Configure up to 4 Total Disks - for Raid 1/5/10 Choice of Linux or Windows operating systems Free Web Reboot Port 100% network uptime guarantee 24x7 toll-free phone, live chat, and help desk support   30-day money back guarantee   NO SETUP FEES No Term Contracts!

Now $89/mo with coupon on 1-year prepay [$1079.88/yr]  NOW 85% Off for life! | ORDER NOW
      NOTE: Discount price reflects annual pre-paid commitment or you may select $99/mo

128 GB Dell Poweredge Dual Octa-Core E5-2660 Dedicated Server Special (32 Cores x 2.20 Ghz!)

Enterprise Grade Dell PowerEdge Servers Qty 2 x Intel  Dual Xeon E5-2660 Octa-Core CPUs @ 2.20 GHz (2 CPUS x 8 Cores @ 2.20 GHz) Hyperthreading (HT) Enabled 32 Visible Cores (16 Physical Cores + 16 Via HT) Intel Virtualization Technology (VT) Enabled 128 GB Ram FREE 240 GB SSD or 1TB SATA III Disk (6 GB/s) Un-Metered Bandwidth *GigE* 1000 Mbit / GigE Port Included    IPv4: 5 Usable IPs on /29 via Cisco Dedicated Layer 3 port    IPv6: /64 Subnet included    RAID: optional Raid 1/5/10 Upgrade Available Configure up to 4 Total Disks - for Raid 1/5/10 Choice of Linux or Windows operating systems Free Web Reboot Port 100% network uptime guarantee 24x7 toll-free phone, live chat, and help desk support   30-day money back guarantee   NO SETUP FEES No Term Contracts!

Now $159/mo with coupon on 1-year prepay [$1919.88/yr]  NOW 85% Off for life! | ORDER NOW
      NOTE: Discount price reflects annual pre-paid commitment or you may select $179/mo

256 GB Dell Poweredge Dual Octa-Core E5-2660 Raid 10 w/SSD 4 disks Dedicated Server Special (32 Cores x 2.20 Ghz!)

Enterprise Grade Dell PowerEdge Servers Qty 2 x Intel  Dual Xeon E5-2660 Octa-Core CPUs @ 2.20 GHz (2 CPUS x 8 Cores @ 2.20 GHz) Hyperthreading (HT) Enabled 32 Visible Cores (16 Physical Cores + 16 Via HT) Intel Virtualization Technology (VT) Enabled 256 GB Ram Raid 10 (4 Disk System) with 4 x 240 GB SSD Included! Un-Metered Bandwidth *GigE* 1000 Mbit / GigE Port Included    IPv4: 5 Usable IPs on /29 via Cisco Dedicated Layer 3 port    IPv6: /64 Subnet included    RAID: optional Raid 1/5/10 Upgrade Available Configure up to 4 Total Disks - for Raid 1/5/10 Choice of Linux or Windows operating systems Free Web Reboot Port 100% network uptime guarantee 24x7 toll-free phone, live chat, and help desk support   30-day money back guarantee   NO SETUP FEES No Term Contracts!

Now $249/mo with coupon on 1-year prepay [$2999.88/yr]  NOW 85% Off for life! | ORDER NOW
      NOTE: Discount price reflects annual pre-paid commitment or you may select $279/mo

All discounts are for LIFE, as long as you keep the product active, paid, and the account in good standing your discount will apply for the life of the product you order!
      Coupons and special offers are limited to 1 per client, new orders only, and may not be combined with other coupons or special offers. Cannot be used to transfer from existing TurnKey Internet service plan.
      Discount offers and coupons apply to main purchase price of product. Any additional items such as certain control panels, features, management, or operating systems may be an additional cost.

These dedicated server deals provide you with a dedicated physical server located in our New York company owned datacenter directly connected via a dedicated Gigabit internet port.  You get the entire server physically provisioned and dedicated to your organization to setup whatever software you want. You can run Windows Server 2012, or install a hypervisor virtualization operating system such as VMWARE or Xen / KVM and create VPS's, or use linux and cPanel for an amazingly powerful web hosting server.  
      The price may look unbelievable, it is our investments in our company-owned green datacenter that lets us operate at lower costs than the competition to provide these amazing values to you and still maintain a profitable company that has been around since 1999. To learn more about TurnKey please visit https://turnkeyinternet.net/about.
      Additional costs for certain control panels, hardware or software add-ons, features, or operating systems may apply - please see order links above and shopping cart for options.
      View Our Virtual & Cloud Server packages   |  View Our Fully Managed Virtual & Cloud Server packages

To our loyal current clients: We love you! We do not like it when companies treat new customers with discount offers better than their loyal existing customers too! We have great news for you, purchase any new Black Friday deal today and we will add on '1' free month of service to the new product for every year you have been a customer! Please be aware, you can not cancel or transfer from an existing TurnKey service at these Black Friday discount rates - but you can order a new service on these discount promotions and enjoy extra free months of service as a bonus for your continued loyalty!

About TurnKey Internet:
      All servers are hosted in our company-owned and operated, ENERGY STAR certified,  green data center in New York’s Tech Valley Region. Alternative technologies such as on-site solar power generation, cold containment pods, hydroelectricity, and SmartAisle cooling have eliminated our carbon footprint entirely, and made our datacenter the best of the best for energy efficiency nation-wide.
      Since 1999, TurnKey Internet has built a reputation of outstanding personalized service, reliability, and value. We are experts in the Cloud Hosting and Datacenter space with a true dedication to your online success every step of the way.  TurnKey maintains an A+ rating from the Better Business Bureau, is SSAE 16 Type 2 certified, ENERGY STAR certified, and the winner of the 2012 Excellence in Small Business Award from the U.S. Small Business Administration.
      Don't just take our word for it - view these Verified Client Testimonials and our 5-star, perfect rating from Shopper Approved.

CONTACT US:
      Live Chat: Live Sales Chat
      Email: [email protected]
      Web: www.turnkeyinternet.net
      Facebook: Turnkey Internet
      Twitter: @TurnKeyInternet

• By wlanboy
      Resin.io is a fork of the Yocto-based OS and is now able to run Docker containers on Linux IoT devices.
      Resin known for their Linux/Javascript-based IoT framework forked their Linux OS behind the framework as an open source project over a year ago. The open source ResinOS is now publicly available on its own: https://github.com/resin-os
      ResinOS can run on mostly ARM-based embedded Linux platforms including the Raspberry Pi, BeagleBone, and Odroid:

https://resinos.io/
      The open source Linux CoreOS (https://coreos.com/why/), supports only x86-64, although attempts have been made to port it to the Raspberry Pi. There are other Docker-friendly Linux distributions like Red Hat based Project Atomic, but still no ARM support.
      Snappy Ubuntu Core, which supports Docker on ARM and x86 embedded targets, but still on some major brands.
      So ResinOS looks like a great new Linux distribution.

• By wlanboy
      Allwinner:
      Allwinner A10/A20 – Display engine clocks (TCON, FE, DE), I2S audio interface (ASoC) driver, added NFC node to DTS Allwinner H3 – Clocks (through sunxi-ng), USB multi-reset lines support AXP2xx driver – External drivebus support, AXP223 USB power supply support, AXP809 PMIC support Broadcom BCM53125 support as it’s used in Lamobo / Banana Pi R1 router board. New boards – Polaroid MID2407PXE03 & inet86dz (Allwinner A23 tablets), Banapi M1+, Banapi M2+, Allwinner Parrot (Allwinner R16 EVB) Samsung
      Enable drivers for Exynos7 and Exynos5433 based boards: S2MPS clock driver, SoC: RTC, SPI, watchdog, EHCI, OHCI, DWC3, ADC and PWM, Enable Samsung SoC sound Qualcomm Device Tree Changes:
      Reverse BAM dma node reverts Add BAM remote control options for affected platforms Enable peripherals on APQ8074 dragonboard Enable PMA8084 pwrky Fix PMIC reg entries by removing unnecessary size element Add SCM binding and support for all currently supported boards Add Qualcomm WCNSS binding documentation Rename db600c to SD_600eval and add peripheral nodes Remove gpio key entry from Nexus7 Add APQ8060 based dragonboard and associated peripherals Add ARMv7 PMU for IPQ4019 Other new ARM hardware or SoCs
      NXP i.MX 7Solo, Broadcom BCM23550, Broadcom BCM2837 (Raspberry Pi 3)  
      Grapped out of the change log: https://kernelnewbies.org/Linux_4.8

• By webhostuk
      WebHostUK LTD one of the leading UK web hosting excited to offer huge discount on all of it Web hosting products , we are offering 50% + 20% additional on all its Shared Hosting packages, 50% OFF on Reseller Hosting, 25 % OFF on Ecommerce Hosting, 20% OFF on VPS Hosting and 20% OFF Dedicated Servers.

So choice any of our Web hosting product and you are sure to get huge discount on it.

Here are the Discounts available on Different Web hosting Categories:

1) Linux Shared Hosting & Windows Shared Hosting: 50% + 20% (GET 70% OFF) Discount Coupon Code – 70WEB
      2) Linux Reseller Hosting & Windows Reseller Hosting: 50% Discount Coupon Code – 50RESELL
      3) Ecommerce Shared Hosting: 25% Discount Coupon Code – 25ECOM
      4) Linux VPS Hosting & Windows VPS hosting: 20% Discount Coupon Code- 20VPS
      5) Linux Dedicated Servers & Windows Dedicated Servers: 20% Discount Coupon Code- 20DEDI

To place an order Visit Below Links :

Shared Hosting starting from just £14.99 per year – Order Now
      Reseller Hosting starting from just £9.99 per month – Order Now
      E-commerce Hosting starting from just £99.99 per year – Order Now
      VPS Hosting starting from just £39.00 per month – Order Now
      Dedicated Server starting from just £94.00 per month – Order Now

Features available with WebHostUK Hosting Plans:

24x7x365 days instant support through live chat and helpdesk.
      Free Data Transfer
      Free RVSkin for WHM/Cpanel
      Softaculous integrated with Cpanel
      Free Attracta SEO Tools integrated with cPanel
      Free WHMCS Billing software (On Selected Reseller Plans)
      Free Dedicated IPs (On E-commerce, VPS, Dedicated Servers & Selected Reseller Plans)
      Free Enom Reseller account (Reseller Plans)
      Free SSL Certificate (On E-commerce and Selected Reseller Plans)
      Private Nameservers
      Price-Freeze
      99.9% Uptime Guarantee
      No Contracts
      30 Day Money-Back Guarantee (Applicable on Shared hosting and Reseller Hosting)

Hurry up and order now to grab this deal! Don't miss out! If you have any queries, send an email to [email protected] or contact our Sales Consultant on Live Chat.

About WebhostUK Ltd:

Launched in 2003, Webhost.UK.Net is one of the leading UK Web Hosting providers known for its quality web hosting products available at the most competitive prices in the market. WebhostUK offers wide range of services such as Wordpress Hosting, Joomla Hosting, Magento Hosting , Ecommerce solutions, Domain Name Registrations and SSL certificates along with uninterrupted 24/7 technical support.