amuck-landowner

Advertising Ideas

ALN2015

Hi, Guys I just started in this forum However I thought I would put some input as to where some good places to advertise are. I have always used forums to advertise my different ventures previously and currently they are a great way to get business the cost is minimal and the return is usually pretty good. Although with a saturated market and some forums not screening their hosts well enough it can be somewhat difficult to get customers, as they usually go for the lowest cost provider. I thought VPS Board may be good to post ads and become a verified host and even after I requested to become verified and willing to show proof of ownership I was told I would not get verified until I release my whois information and like some small business and most online business' i did not want to release my whois data mainly because I have a personal address for my whois information. Kudos to VPS Board for being so tight on who they allow to post in certian forums.

There is another forum that does this as well it is Web Host Rally They just recently lost all their data on their site due to some disk issues. But even though they have little content they are strict on who they allow to post in the offers section. You must Become Verified in order to post any Web Hosting ad, Similar to VPS Board Except they do not allow unverified ad's. I suggest you check it out and let them know how they are doing. I do not OWN nor are Affiliated with Web Host Rally I know of them as I was a member on their board before it went down, I am also a current member.

P.S. If this is breaking any rules please let me know.

DomainBop

Dormant VPSB Pathogen
There is another forum that does this as well it is Web Host Rally They just recently lost all their data on their site due to some disk issues.

How does one lose all of their data  "due to some disk issues" if one is making regular backups?

Quote said:
Creation Date: 2015-08-28T12:43:20Z
My sympathies go out to the site owners for their data loss, it will probably take years to replace all of the information that was posted during the site's first 5 days.

MannDude

Just a dude
vpsBoard Founder
How did you hear about Web Hosting Rally when it was created just five days ago, as per @DomainBop's response? How are you not affiliated with it when you're just one of two members? How do you/someone not take regular backups of data?

Anyhow, LowEndTalk just recently adopted vpsBoard's rules on new offers by requiring them to be from approved submitters. So vpsBoard isn't unique in that regards. It's good that forums are requiring this. Good luck with your/your friend's forum.

Last edited by a moderator:

Geek

Technolojesus
Verified Provider
Elsewhere, I'd have had to pull this advertisement for a variety of reasons, none of which have anything to do with copying WHT's forum names/categories verbatim (outside of the misspelled "technology" I'm seeing in a couple places.  

I'm not even comfortable using the word "we" since it's just my assistant and me... but, well, there you have it...

Plus, I don't think anyone can just sign up and "become a verified provider". Removing private WHOIS "because you have to in order to be verified" isn't exciting me much.  

Quote said:
and like some small business and most online business' i did not want to release my whois data
I'm guessing you're ... what, 23?  Give or take?  It shows in the experience levels.  I spent 15 years working for local ISPs and small NOCs.... who taught me that the more one tries to hide, the less they can be trusted.  After spending that time being honest about myself and my business, I would prefer you not group my business into your flawed logic of "most online business'". I can't imagine "most online businesses" coming to a community of experience and leading off with " I want to advertise ... but the HDD in our box died and we have no backups".

I looked at your site for a second.  Noticed that in the active thread about "Most Inmportant [sic] Hosting Company Attributes".

Neither of you said anything about the importance of knowledge.  Experience.  Wisdom.  Foresight. Financial integrity. Backups.

If Web Host Rally is colo'd at QuadraNet Miami, fine. If your We're the type who need/expect/use this. If ALNDirect is hosted by CrocWeb, that's good to know.  

If your name is Sean Northrup and you're in Saint Augustine, then you'd better cover up....your privates are showing. And in this case it has nothing to do with the usual false sense of security offered by CloudFlare.

Knowledge. Time.  Dedication.  The confidence to admit when you need help or don't know. Being straight-up with your industry contacts about who you are..  in short, if your goal is to have a status of "verified", you've got to put in work.  

Tyler

Forum StatisticsDiscussions:918Messages:4,106Members:548

For what it's worth, maybe they did restore the backups? Still not impressive numbers, though, to be frank. 

Tyler

Looks like the formatting got messed up. Would be great if one of the mods could edit or fix it (or let me know what I did wrong).

There are some people on both forums. You've got @mikho and @licensecart that I saw.

It may have just been a case of being hosted at a bad provider.

Geek

Technolojesus
Verified Provider

For what it's worth, maybe they did restore the backups? Still not impressive numbers, though, to be frank. 
Perhaps, though when I was looking at it last night there were 3 posts and 2 members.  What I'm seeing now is a 1.5 y/o backup they found and likely gave the restore a whirl...who knows.

mikho

Not to be taken seriously, ever!
If I remember correct, Web Hosting Rally was recently bought by Justin (BluVM at that time) when I joined, it has there after been sold and restarted a bunch of times. Actually lost count on how many times its been.
Most of these buyers already had a small forum and wanted to increase member base and post count.

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
whrally.com right?

When did you join @mikho?

Cause domain appears to be new.. Creation Date: 2015-08-28T12:43:20Z

Or they renamed or something odd.

mikho

I joined 2013-05-19 on a domain webhostrally.com

Either the new site uses the same name on the forum or they changed the domain.

RLT

When I glanced at it they had a burb about it being a new domain. Looked like a folded site restored using an old backup. 

I figured someone had dropped it and lost the domain the bought a new one to try and restart it.

DomainBop

Dormant VPSB Pathogen
I joined 2013-05-19 on a domain webhostrally.com Either the new site uses the same name on the forum or they changed the domain.

Perhaps, though when I was looking at it last night there were 3 posts and 2 members.  What I'm seeing now is a 1.5 y/o backup they found and likely gave the restore a whirl...who knows.
A 1 1/2 year old backup from 2014 when the forum used the domain webhostrally.com and was owned by  "deathstarr" , from Alabama, the former owner of HandofHosting.com and RevoltHost who formerly posted on WHT as DennisC and RevoltHost (both IDs disabled).  Also owned hosts called SpareHost  and HostReach.  The forum has changed hands a few times over the years (2013 owner was a low end provider)

Quote said:
If your name is Sean Northrup and you're in Saint Augustine, then you'd better cover up....your privates are showing. And in this case it has nothing to do with the usual false sense of security offered by CloudFlare.
note to people buying private WHOIS: if you register a domain and a day or two later decide to get private WHOIS you're wasting your money because your info has already been indexed in multiple places.

it looks like anon-e-mouse banned ALNDirect shortly after he posted his WH Rally thread on WHT  .  ALN and WHRally's current owner Maestro are both from Florida...

Quote said:
 I do not OWN nor are Affiliated with Web Host Rally I know of them as I was a member on their board before it went down, I am also a current member.
...and yet on LET you said you were a partner in the site. 

Quote said:
Advertising Ideas
Based on the reaction to your thread on VPSB, LET (thread deleted), WHT (OP banned), I'd probably recommend against advertising by cross-posting threads for a "friend's site" on multiple industry forums.   Based on the dishonesty shown with your posts, I would also recommend against running your own hosting business because you haven't shown yourself to be trustworthy enough for customers to entrust their data to your hands.

mikho

Not sure why I see my name with the quotes about being affiliated with the site?
Using Tapatalk.

MannDude

Just a dude
vpsBoard Founder
No idea, must be a Tapatalk issue. In the thread that particular quote has no author, but the original quote in DomainBop's response was from you. Does it show all the quotes in his post to appear to be made by you? (Like Geek's?)

mikho

No idea, must be a Tapatalk issue. In the thread that particular quote has no author, but the original quote in DomainBop's response was from you. Does it show all the quotes in his post to appear to be made by you? (Like Geek's?)
All quotes are from me. Guess Tapatalk adds the "extra info" since the quote doesn't specify a source of the quote it is assumed to be from the last quote that has an owner.

This post is also using the Tapatalk quote function, lets see how that goes :)

amuck-landowner