amuck-landowner

A Detailed Comparison of Virtualization Solutions -- Oh, and VZ7 probably won't support SimFS and re

Geek

Technolojesus
Verified Provider
+1 to @Francisco for passing this along to me. A few days ago OpenVZ published this really nifty and surprisingly detailed comparison of commonly used virtualization platforms.  Prior to this. neither of us really knew if SimFS would accompany us to Virtuozzo 7 or not,, as it's currently "not functional" in the current "betastable" release thingy..... how did they word that again, Fran?  I forgot to bookmark it.... Anyhoo we both had the feeling that automatic Ploop conversions would be the route they'd take, and it seems like that's what will probably happen....and, well... https://twitter.com/FrantechCA/status/647915686749077505

If you pull up the OVZ LiveJournal, you'll see that the majority want out of 2.6.32 and on to the mainline. Next thing is KVM/hypervisor support to achieve parallel/nested virtualization.  The comparison will give you a pretty good idea of what's in store for Odin, Virtuozzo, and their "premium" service .. cause I know how much you guys love that word.  ;)

Running strictly Ploop FS layouts is still a concern to some.  It is with me, so I'm hoping that if it is EOL'd , it will be done gradually, keeping in mind how long people were using SimFS before, and the time involved in preparing for such a change, and VZ7 is barely a month old. Unless it's phased out gradually, alternative business models will continue to be in the back of my head.

Oh, one more thing.  Hope you've got some time to kill to make your own OS templates.  They're reaching out to the community for help.  https://wiki.openvz.org/Best_practices_for_development_of_EZ_templates

Feature comparison of different virtualization solutionsFeatureDescriptionOpenVZ (stable)Virtuozzo 6 (PCS 6)Virtuozzo 7Virtuozzo 7 PlusLXCProxmox VEMicrosoft Hyper-V 2012 R2RHEV 3.5Citrix XenServer 6.51. Virtualization platform1.1. OverviewHW virtualization support (Hypervisor)Full emulation of underneath hardware level: full isolation guest environment, no dependencies from host OS, overhead for hypervisor layer.NoYesYesYesNoYesYesYesYesOS-level virtualization (Containers)Sharing the same instance of host OS: high density, high performance, high dependencies from host OS.YesYesYesYesYesYesNoNoNoHypervisor technologyTechnology that enables to run Virtual Machines.NoneParallels Desktop MonitorKVMKVMNoneKVMHyper-VKVMXenContainers technologyTechnology that enables to run Containers.Virtuozzo ContainersVirtuozzo Containers with enhancementsVirtuozzo Containers with enhancementsVirtuozzo Containers with enhancementsLinux containersLXC (moved from OpenVZ since 4.0)NoneNoneNone1.2. MemoryMemory OvercommitAbility to present more memory to virtual machines than physically availableYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesPage sharingMemory (RAM) savings through sharing identical memory pages across virtual machinesYesYes, only for CTsYesYesYesYesNoYesNo2. Management2.1. GeneralUnified management tool for CTs and VMsSingle tool for managing both containers and virtual machines (if applicable)NoneYesYesYesNoneNoNoneNoneNoneCentral Management toolIs centralized multi-server management available for this edition?Yes, 3rd partyYes, Parallels Virtual Automation (PVA)NoYes, PVAYes, 3rd partyYesYes, System Center Virtual Machine ManagerYes, RHEV ManagerYes, XenCenter2.2. Upgrade & BackupUpdate ManagementIntegrated patching mechanism for the virtual environments (Guest OS) / guest tools / templatesNo integrated update, YUM (Linux)No integrated update, YUM (Linux), WSUS (Windows)No integrated update, YUM (Linux), WSUS (Windows)No integrated update, YUM (Linux), WSUS (Windows)No integrated update, APT (Linux)No integrated update, YUM (Linux), WSUS (Windows)Yes (WSUS, SCCM, Virtual Machine Servicing Tool 2012 for offline VM update)No integrated update, YUM (Linux), WSUS (Windows)No integrated update, YUM (Linux), WSUS (Windows)Live VE snapshotAbility to take a snapshot of a virtual environment while the guest OS is running (e.g. for roll-back or backup purposes)YesYesYesYesOffline, CRIU support is plannedYesYesYesYesIntegrated BackupAre backup plugins/tools provided to backup virtual environments (over and above the ability to perform classic backup using agents in the guests)NoYesNoYesNoYesYesNoNoBackup Integration APIIntegration with 3rd party backup applications for backup of the virtual environment.No (only through snapshots)YesYesYesNo (only through snapshots)Yes (vzdump)YesYesNo2.3. OthersVEs Templates (VM, CT)Ability to create and store master images and deploy virtual machines from themYes (CT only)YesYesYesYes (OpenVZ templates)YesYesYesYesP2V migrationIntegrated or added P2V (or V2V) capability in order to convert physical systems to virtual environment.NoYesYesYesNoNo, 3rd party toolsYesNoNo3. VE Mobility and HA3.1. VE MobilityLive Migration of VEsAbility to migrate virtual machines between hosts without perceived downtimeYes, but with no zero downtimeYes, Kernal-Level MigrationYes, CRIUYes, CRIUOffline, CRIU support is plannedYesYesYesYesAutomated Live Migration (DRS)Ability to put host into maintenance mode which will automatically live migrate all virtual machines onto other available hosts so that the host can be brought shut down safelyNoNoNoYesNoNoYesYesYesStorage MigrationIntegrated Power Management features Ability to automatically migrate vms onto fewer hosts and power off unused capacity (hosts), wake systems back up when requiredNoNoNoNoNoNoYesYesYes3.2. HA / DRCluster sizeMaximum number of hosts in the cluster/pool relationship and maximum number vms per cluster/pool (if specified)None32 hosts/cluster validated (100 hosts/cluster maximum) - PStorage limitationNot tested yetNot tested yetNone32 nodes64 nodes200 nodes16 nodesIntegrated HARecover virtual environment in case of host failures through restart on alternative hosts (downtime = restart time)NoYesNoYesNoYesYesYesYesSite FailoverIntegrated ability to (ideally live) migrate virtual machine data (virtual disk files) to different storage e.g. for array upgrades/migration and I/O managementNoNoNoNoNoNoManualNoIntegrated Disaster Recovery - manual4. Network and Storage4.1. StorageSupported StorageSupported types of Storage (DAS: Direct Attached Storage, NAS: Network Attached Storage, FC: Fibre Channel, iSCSI, FCoE - Fibre Channel over Ethernet)DAS (EXT4)NAS (NFS), DAS (EXT4)DAS (EXT4)NAS (NFS), DAS (EXT4)NAS (NFS), DAS (EXT4)SAN, NAS (NFS), Ceph DAS, NAS (SMB), SAN (iSCSI, FC, FCoE)DAS, NAS (NFS), SAN (iSCSI, FC, FCoE)DAS, NAS (NFS), SAN (iSCSI, FC, FCoE)Virtual Disk FormatSupported format(s) of the virtual disks for the virtual machinesCT - ploopCT - ploop, VM - ploopCT - ploop, VM - ploop\Qcow2CT - ploop, VM - ploop\Qcow2Anyqcow2vhdx, vhd, pass-though (raw)Qcow2, raw diskvhd, raw diskThin Disk ProvisioningAbility to over-commit overall disk space by dynamically growing the size of virtual disks based on actual usage rather than pre-allocating full size.YesYesYesYesYes, depends on disk format (dm-thin)Yes (???)YesYesYesVirtual SANEnhanced storage capability e.g. providing a virtual SAN through virtualized 'local' storageYes, Virtuozzo StorageYes, Virtuozzo StorageYes, Virtuozzo StorageYes, Virtuozzo StorageYes, but 3rd party (DRBD 9, Ceph, GlusterFS)Yes, but 3rd party (DRBD 9, Ceph, GlusterFS)Yes, Storage SpacesYes, Red Hat StorageNoStorage QoSAbility to control Quality of Service for Storage I/O for virtual machinesNoOnly IOPs limitsOnly IOPs limitsOnly IOPs limitsNoNoYesYesYes4.2. NetworkAdvanced Network SwitchCentralized virtual network configuration (rather than managing virtual switches on individual hosts), typically with enhanced networking capabilitiesNoNoNoNoNoYes, Open vSwitch supportYesOpenStack Neutron IntegrationOpen vSwitch integrationNetwork QoSAbility to create and store master images and deploy virtual machines from themOnly bandwidth limitsOnly bandwidth limitsOnly bandwidth limitsOnly bandwidth limitsOnly bandwidth limitsYes, with Open vSwitch YesYesYes5. Others – most of features are relevant only for Odin Virtuozzo editionsMemory deduplication for binary filesMemory and IOPS deduplication management that enables/disables caching for Container directories and files, verifies cache integrity, checks Containers for cache errors, and purges the cache if neededNoYes, pfcacheYes, pfcacheYes, pfcacheNoNoNoneNoneNoneCompletely isolated disk subsystem for CTs Yes, ploopYes, ploopYes, ploopYes, ploopYes, with LVMNoNoneNoneNoneAPI\SDK OpenVZ API for Ruby, LibVirtVirtuozzo SDK, LibVirtVirtuozzo SDK, LibVirtVirtuozzo SDK, LibVirtLibLXC, API for Ruby, Python 2, Haskell, GoProxmox VE uses a REST like API (JSON data format)Windows SDKRHEV-M API: REST API, SDKsXenAPI, XenServer SDKsImage Catalog integrationIntegration with 3rd-party image catalog services of popular server applications and development environments that can be installed with one click.NoNoNoYes (Bitnami)NoYes (Turnkey)NoneNoneNoneOpen Stack integrationDriver for Open Stack NovaYesYesYesYesYes(LXC and KVM supported through libvirt)YesYesYesKernel maintenanceAbility to upgrade kernel with minimal downtime.KernelCare service integrationkernel rebootless update (vzreboot)KernelCare service integrationkernel rebootless update (vzreboot)KernelCare service integrationKernelCare service integrationNoneKernelCare service integrationKernelCare service integrationPower PanelA tool used for managing particular virtual machines and containers by their end users.NoYesNoYesNoneNoneNoneNoneNone6. CommercialOpen Source YesNoYesNoYesYesNoNoNo (but there is Open Source edition)License\Subscription NoYesNoYesNoNoYesYesYes, Enterprise EditionSupport Both community and commercial supportCommercial supportCommunity supportCommercial SupportYes, Canonical Ltd.Both community and commercial supportCommercial supportCommercial supportBoth community and commercial support

Navigation menu

News and support

Services
Donate
pixel.gif

Tools
  • This page was last modified on 25 September 2015, at 16:28.
  • This page has been accessed 5,510 times.

Last edited by a moderator:

DomainBop

Dormant VPSB Pathogen
Quote said:
A few days ago OpenVZ published this really nifty and surprisingly detailed comparison of commonly used virtualization platforms
Conspicuously missing from their feature comparison is the leading x86 server virtualization platform which has over 46% market share (2014 market share figures: VMWare 46%, Hyper-V 30%, everyone else splits the remaining 24%)

Francisco

Company Lube
Verified Provider
I just don't see SIMFS getting added, but it's going to really hurt their market if that's the case.

I've still not had good experiences with PLOOP. I've had multiple times (in testing) if I pushed a volume past like 500GB it would completely corrupt for no reason. There was no way to fix it either, FSCK wouldn't fix it, nothing.

I'm honestly scared to put *any* of our customers on PLOOP. Originally our new backups system was going to be based around it but with the above corruption but there was no way I could consider it. While i'm excited for OVZ7, I'm honestly looking towards LXC to see if I can add the missing things somehow (disk quotas is the most major thing).

Francisco

amuck-landowner