amuck-landowner

How is called this behavior sending fake company emails?

ICPH

Hello,

if some thief setup domain name that seems similar to some company domain and place this javascript to the fake domains website:

<SCRIPT> window.location="https://www.companydomain.com/"; </SCRIPT>is it called web forgery or different way?

How is called that behavior of pretending to be some company employee, sending fake emails having fake domain? is there any term for it?

It is not phishing in this case i assume, any other terms before * forgery?

HBAndrei

Verified Provider
So, that javascript will only direct visitors to the real company website? seems harmless.

Why would you call this person a thief, what are they trying to obtain from you? and how? Because depending on that you can get the correct term to associate with them.

ICPH

because of his email, read my initial post again please. im not asking just about website but about whole behavior (pretending to be someone, insisting to pay for example fictive invoices which then results in people money stolen because they send it to the thief) i described in my initial post

Last edited by a moderator:

HN-Matt

Verified Provider
I doubt it would be conceived of as 'forgery' by any professional organization unless the company's 'Mark' associated with the 'original' domain is trademarked. Then you could sick the trademark lawyers on them with accusations like 'typo squatting' or whatever.

pretending to be someone, insisting to pay for example fictive invoices which then results in people money stolen because they send it to the thief

Isn't that phishing?

HN-Matt

Verified Provider
Phishing is the attempt to acquire sensitive information such as usernames, passwords, and credit card details (and sometimes, indirectly, money), often for malicious reasons, by masquerading as a trustworthy entity in an electronic communication.
Wikipedia's definition would seem to fit the bill.

If they've reached the point of sending fictitious invoices then they've already acquired all the 'personal data' they need...

amuck-landowner