amuck-landowner

DDoS Mitigation GRE Tunnel w/ BGP

Nett

Article Submitter
Verified Provider
As per title, I'm looking to setup something similar to what BuyVM or RamNode has this moment, except with my own IPs and ASN.

Preferably filtering is done around East coast USA.

I have some colocated hardware, hosting gameservers and small websites for a medium-sized online community. TCP / UDP protection is a must. Layer 7 would be nice to have.

I have tried the mitigation service from my provider but unfortunately it is very costly.

My budget is around $1000 per month for 15+ Gbps, delivered using a GRE tunnel. A BGP session is required and I have several /24's. Any recommendations?

Last edited by a moderator:

rmlhhd

Verified Provider
I haven't been lucky enough to get hit by DDoS attacks so I can't suggest anything from experience but I know that RamNode uses BlackLotus and BuyVM using Voxility.

I don't know about BGP sessions but I've heard https://www.x4b.net is good. 

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
Since it's East Coast and already long lit up: Staminus.

X4b remains interesting as a blended provider aggregating across different filtering providers.   

Others are either too expensive, too small on filtering or nested resellers. PhoenixNAP has filtering in Ashburn I believe, but their protection in Phoenix is blah.

BlackLotus has filtering at Ashburn also, but few have great to say about BL.

Castlegem I believe has filtering in NYC and VA.  Unsure of platform or provider.

GigeNet has filtering in VA, expect it to be costly.

Up above all that are bandwidth providers and enterprise companies who offer such.  All expensive.

Francisco

Company Lube
Verified Provider
It's a conflict of interest for us to offer such services at this time.

BGP sessions would be annoying with voxility since they only allow a single ASN as far as I can tell. We'd prefer just doing static routes down a tunnel.

With that being said, Staminus can probably arrange something for you.

Francisco

Robert

We've got spare mitigation/capacity in Dallas if you're interested (through Psychz Networks). Layer 7 mitigation included, and we can meet your requirements for BGP.

Nett

Article Submitter
Verified Provider
Thanks all! Voxility and BlackLotus are too expensive for my budget. I don't think X4B can announce custom IPs?

Clouvider-Dom

Verified Provider
You could take a Dedicated with Voxility and take out a DDoS protection with them through this Dedicated Server. Last time I checked it was around £600 GBP / mo for 4x /24, that's about your budget.

softsyshosting

Verified Provider
Have you spoken with Staminus already? They can pretty much work out a custom solution which should be very near (if not within) your budget.

OSTKCabal

Verified Provider
Recognize that I'm late to the party here, but we've had a great experience with Staminus so far. Very willing to help out with optimization of everything from initial detection of attacks to the mitigation itself. Decently fast support, and the replies themselves are nothing but pleasant and actually informative.

Nett

Article Submitter
Verified Provider
@OSTKCabal appreciate your input. How fast do they respond to support queries? Does their system leak any common attacks?

Also, seeing your signature that your services are out of Chicago, how much latency does their mitigation add to your services?

OSTKCabal

Verified Provider
@OSTKCabal appreciate your input. How fast do they respond to support queries? Does their system leak any common attacks?

Also, seeing your signature that your services are out of Chicago, how much latency does their mitigation add to your services?

General support requests have generally been answered in the 10-30 minute range, while emergency/optimization requests were answered faster in most situations. We've got our own detection hardware on-site with three different sources of optimization - our own team, Steadfast's network team, and Staminus's network team. No major leaks to report that weren't fixed very quickly.

In terms of additional latency, the maximum our customers have realistically reported is in the 20-30ms - I want to stress the wording of maximum. Both being major internet hubs, not being too far away (realistically), and Steadfast's direct peering with them certainly helps.

TO.oL

I suggest you check out https://www.staminus.net/. They offer what you're looking for and should be able to work out a deal that's within your budget. Voxility is probably not the best if you're looking at their East Coast network (capacity is limited there and no real DDoS filtering).

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
I suggest you check out https://www.staminus.net/. They offer what you're looking for and should be able to work out a deal that's within your budget. Voxility is probably not the best if you're looking at their East Coast network (capacity is limited there and no real DDoS filtering).

I don't know about the East Coast claim.. I know Ashburn has been funky for them and probably a point to expand, but no real DDoS filtering?  @Francisco

amuck-landowner