amuck-landowner

Do web host really use SSD drives?

Karina122

I have recently seen an offer where a server host is providing unlimited SSD space, I don't think it is SSD?
Anyone seen such hosting offers?

thekreek

I supose you're talking about shared hosting. In that case it's a trend that many hosts follow they sell you an unlimited plan but in reality it's limited in their TOS.
Read their TOS and you will understand this.

DomainBop

Dormant VPSB Pathogen
Stablebox is a typical example of why unlimited plans are usually very limited.  Their shared hosting offers advertise "Unlimited disk space, Solid State Drives (SSD) in RAID".  Their AUP policy states "By default, all accounts are provisioned with storage on Solid State Drives. Accounts using more than 5GB of disk space may be moved, at our discretion, to a server utilizing traditional hard disks for storage."  Their AUP also places further restrictions on disk usage by prohibiting "Backup, archive, file upload /sharing, and mirroring sites".

HalfEatenPie

The Irrational One
Retired Staff
Yep.  As the old saying goes, "there's no such thing as unlimited".  

Take Site5 for example.  A long long time ago when we (one of my projects) used them, and a long time ago when I was much more naive, we stored some large-sized audio files on our website for download to our viewers.  

Later, our website gets shutdown for "using excessive processor power" from people downloading these files.  Not bad, but yeah wasn't the happiest camper there.  

tldr: If they say unlimited, I'd suggest staying away from them (even if they're some large company.  More than likely, it's outlined in their Terms of Service).  

emdad

There is no such thing as Unlimited disk, even with SATA, let alone SSD. Better know your limits before you purchase. 

HN-Matt

Verified Provider
If a web host advertises resource x as unlimited and is operating in a context of reified 'contemporary physics', it means there are other constraints on that particular resource. The constraints are usually listed in the small print.

In hosting the phrase "unlimited x" is probably best perceived as a euphemism for "don't forget to read the terms!"

Last edited by a moderator:

TO.oL

best way to find out the unlimited is actually unlimited is to upload a really big gigs of file to the host and see if it fails. 

web-project

Verified Provider
normally the shared servers will use hybrid hard drives or SSD boosted(using a SSD Cache), this way it's cheaper than just pure SSD hard drives, also no such thing as unlimited vps or server or datacenter.

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
normally the shared servers will use hybrid hard drives or SSD boosted(using a SSD Cache), this way it's cheaper than just pure SSD hard drives, also no such thing as unlimited vps or server or datacenter.

Are folks really using the hybrid drives in business environments?   Not that I am surprised, but I don't think the consumer versions are RAID friendly.  

web-project

Verified Provider
Are folks really using the hybrid drives in business environments?   Not that I am surprised, but I don't think the consumer versions are RAID friendly.  

we don't use hybrid hard drives, as we do use normal or pure ssd hard drives at this moment.

HN-Matt

Verified Provider

I found out the hard way that Xen/HDD & SSD/Flashcache offers better I/O on a scale of negligible to none.

SSD caching makes a noticeable difference in OpenVZ, though, no?

LibreServers

Yes, some webhosting companies use SSD, but no webhosting companies actually provide unlimited services. Virtually unlimited SSD space could be provided using a NAS setup, but right now the cost would be too high for a "Unlimited" Webhosting Provider IMO.

I'll also chip in that most of my clients are leary of SSDs, and prefer HDDs for storage. I find SSDs to be a hard sell, but that could just be my client base.

willie

I haven't used HDD for anything but bulk archive and media storage in years, plus a few cheap VPS.  SSD has almost made it obsolete.  The SSD VPS that I have are way more responsive than HDD ones, even from good providers.  I have a dedicated server with HDD because that's how you get TB's of storage cheap :).

ikoula

Verified Provider
Hello,

"Unlimited" is a marketing term, nothing is unlimited as long as it relies on physical storage.

There is always an asterisk explaining unlimited is limited.

To me there is no unlimited offer of any kind. 

CenTex Hosting

Verified Provider
I think a lot of the older host are still on HDD drives. You are starting to see everyone switch out to SSD now.

If they say unlimited then I would check TOS as most limit you on how much space you can really use.

DMMediaLtd

Verified Provider
"Unlimited" is just a nice way to say limited by CPU/Process/Nodes it looks great on paper but its massively misleading generally it leads to overage bills or TOS suspensions

amuck-landowner