amuck-landowner

Hong Kong VPS or Dedicated Server

HalfEatenPie

The Irrational One
Retired Staff
Howdy folks!

I'm interested in looking for a Hong Kong VPS or a Dedicated Server.

For the VPS, around 4 cores with 4 GB RAM and 80 GB HDD would be appreciated.

No New Media Express network please (so that crosses out Dediserve).

Oh also, no OpenVZ or any container virtualization please.  The system I'm trying to use, incorporates the use of Docker and it doesn't really play too nicely with OpenVZ VPSes.  

Thanks! 

Last edited by a moderator:

Nett

Article Submitter
Verified Provider
HostUS / HostHatch / HostWithLinux have HK locations with SoftLayer.

HalfEatenPie

The Irrational One
Retired Staff

Thanks.  Didn't HostUS recently get sold or something though?  Or maybe I'm confusing them with someone else.  

I'm looking at the HostUS 8 GB RAM, 6 Cores, for 30/month.  Dang that looks really attractive.  

However, I guess I should point out, I'm looking for Xen HVM or KVM or a dedicated server.  I'll be using Docker with this for an app deployment and well...  Those don't really play to nice with OpenVZ.  

DomainBop

Dormant VPSB Pathogen
Wait for OneCloud (OneProvider) to be back in stock (whenever that will be...I'd contact them and ask).  Softlayer DC test 119.81.182.251 .  4GB KVM is $40...or you could get a VPS directly with Softlayer.

...or Rackspace

36Cloud (Sunnyvision) is $39 for a 4GB KVM but network speeds are 2Mbps unless you want to pay $$$$ and routing on their network isn't much better than Dediserve's HK offering (Sunnyvision has better direct routes to some places in Asia but not all).  Their cloud platform is still in beta so stability is worse than Dediserve.

Aliyun was supposed to open a HK location last year.  I don't know if they did. http://www.aliyun.com/?lang=en

DomainBop

Dormant VPSB Pathogen

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent

Thanks.  Didn't HostUS recently get sold or something though?  Or maybe I'm confusing them with someone else.  

I'm looking at the HostUS 8 GB RAM, 6 Cores, for 30/month.  Dang that looks really attractive.  

However, I guess I should point out, I'm looking for Xen HVM or KVM or a dedicated server.  I'll be using Docker with this for an app deployment and well...  Those don't really play to nice with OpenVZ.  

HostUs is still around and healthy.  The company that sold @DomainBop mentioned.

Docker is supported on OVZ, although not fully.  I'd give it a try on OVZ as a trial maybe.   

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
and.. a quick start guide for Docker too :) 

https://my.hostus.us/knowledgebase.php?action=displayarticle&id=92

Plus official announce for this back in June:

Quote said:
Friday, June 26, 2015
We are pleased to announce that our OpenVZ VPS'es now officially support Docker. You can deploy Docker on your VPS by using the Docker template available from the rebuild page.Docker is an open-source project that automates the deployment of applications inside software containers, by providing an additional layer of abstraction and automation of operating-system-level virtualization on Linux. For a quick start-up guide, click here

DomainBop

Dormant VPSB Pathogen
Quote said:
Only one provider for HK right now, though.
Several providers in HK accept Bitcoin

HostVirtual, one of the best providers in Hong Kong (and one of the best providers in any of their other 20 locations) also accepts Bitcoin :)  They were one of the first major hosting/VPS/cloud providers to offer it in January 2014.

VPSBit (Xen...the "Bit" in their name refers to Bitcoin) and StarryDNS (KVM) also accept Bitcoin in HongKong.  OpenVZ Low Enders HostHatch and HostUS too.

joepie91

Have a look at this list ;) Only one provider for HK right now, though.
Put HostUs on that list @joepie91 :)  They accept Bitcoin... I keep bumping into your list all over and glad to see it pushed as a reference.
Quote said:
Only one provider for HK right now, though.
Several providers in HK accept Bitcoin

HostVirtual, one of the best providers in Hong Kong (and one of the best providers in any of their other 20 locations) also accepts Bitcoin :)  They were one of the first major hosting/VPS/cloud providers to offer it in January 2014.

VPSBit (Xen...the "Bit" in their name refers to Bitcoin) and StarryDNS (KVM) also accept Bitcoin in HongKong.  OpenVZ Low Enders HostHatch and HostUS too.

Do you happen to know what their exact facilities are? Datacenter/facility name and actual city, basically. Lots of providers advertise with "the biggest city nearby", so I'm a bit wary adding providers without having that information first.

Nett

Article Submitter
Verified Provider
Hong Kong itself is a city, much like Singapore :)

amuck-landowner