amuck-landowner

Your favorite Google tips and tricks?

MannDude

Just a dude
vpsBoard Founder
Kind of a silly thread but I'm curious what all people use Google for besides search. Seems like over the past few years they've really added a lot of random functions in the search results to give you what you want.

Lately I've been using Google as a digital timer. Just typing in: "Timer 17min" and it starts counting down 17 minutes and will sound an alarm when it hits zero. Previously used it a lot for currency conversion. (Example, "100 USD to NZD"). Hell, you can do Bitcoin currency conversions right there too.

So, besides search, what else can you 'do' with the search bar?

HalfEatenPie

The Irrational One
Retired Staff
Reminders.  Seriously the best thing in the world.  If I need to remember something tomorrow before I go somewhere, just set a reminder.

Currency exchange rate.  Since we work in USD, EUR, GBP, SGD, KRW, CAD, NZD, etc.  I use it to help me get a rough idea as to how much something is. 

It's so useful. 

MannDude

Just a dude
vpsBoard Founder
How do you use the reminders? I'm referring to things you can enter as a search query in the search engine.

wlanboy

Content Contributer
Create a reminder

• Make sure Google Now is turned on for your Android device or your iPhone or iPad.
  • Open Google or a new Chrome browser window.
  • If you aren’t already signed in, click the blue Sign in button in the top right corner.
  • In the search box, type remind me followed by what you want to be reminded about 
  • Click Remind me on Google Now.
  • For example, remind me to buy milk at Safeway.

amuck-landowner