• Announcements

• MannDude

Current state of vpsBoard   02/04/2017

Dear vpsBoard members and guests:

Over the last year or two vpsBoard activity and traffic has dwindled. I have had a change of career and interests, and as such am no longer an active member of the web hosting industry.

Due to time constraints and new interests I no longer wish to continue to maintain vpsBoard. The web site will remain only as an archive to preserve and showcase some of the great material, guides, and industry news that has been generated by members, some of which I remain in contact to this very day and now regard as personal friends.

I want to thank all of our members who helped make vpsBoard the fastest growing industry forum. In it's prime it was an active and ripe source of activity, news, guides and just general off-topic banter and fun.

I wish all members and guests the very best, whether it be with your business or your personal projects.

-MannDude
joepie91

node.js
Node.js tutoring - €150 for 5 hours, €250 for 10 hours (limited availability)

5 posts in this topic

I've been doing code review and tutoring for Node.js for some time now, and it's been a while since the last promo - so here's a new one! It doesn't really get any cheaper than this anywhere :)

I'll keep it short; this is what's on offer:

• 5 hours of private tutoring, for €150 (ie. €30/hour), or
  • 10 hours of private tutoring, for €250 (ie. €25/hour)

During these hours, I will help you out with whatever Node.js-related topics you want to learn about, no matter what it is or how complex it is - whether it's basic Javascript syntax, building a web application, working with asynchronous code, building distributed systems, writing command-line tools, deploying applications in production, or anything else. There's also not a single teaching method - I will adapt to whatever approach works best for you personally.

This offer is valid until November 13, but purchased hours don't expire, so you can schedule sessions whenever you want. This offer will also only last for 40 hours in total, across all buyers - after that, the normal price of €40 per hour applies. You can purchase any combination of hours within those limits, of course.

The practical bits:

• Your timezone doesn't matter, as I can accommodate most schedules - just make sure to schedule two or three days in advance. Weekdays preferred, but weekends also possible.
  • The communication method used during tutoring is IRC or XMPP, whichever you prefer. I can help you setting up either of them, if needed.
  • GitHub Gist is used for code sharing, and where necessary, TeamViewer is also an option.

Payment terms: You can pay through Bitcoin, PayPal, or SEPA. All payment is upfront (pre-paid), and to be eligible for this offer, you must complete your purchase before November 13. Payments made for this offer are not refundable, whether in full or in part.

As my automated booking system isn't done yet, you can book through e-mail ([email protected]), XMPP ([email protected]), IRC (joepie91 on Freenode), or through a PM here on VPSBoard. Keep in mind that my IRC client doesn't always notify me of PMs, so the other methods are usually faster.

If you have any questions about the offer, you're always welcome to ask them - whether in this thread, or privately!

---

Some honest, unedited reviews from customers:

Josh Reeter: I reached out to joepie91 through IRC for help on reviewing my code, his confidence, open source contributions and experience within the language I was targetting was a great match for me. His mentorship has really helped improve the quality of my code through consistency and just a better understanding of concepts.

Tejas Manohar: Sven is an incredibly talented developer that works with utmost diligence. He has thorough knowledge of Node.js platform along with the tools built on it and is really passionate about crafting the right implementation to solve most any problem at hand.

Daniel Sauerbrun: I hired Sven (joepie91) to help me beat the learning curve for Node.js; I needed quick tutoring as I was building out a codebase from scratch for a startup. Not only was he an excellent tutor in helping me understand concepts instead of just giving me the answer, but he was also available for me pretty much whenever I needed him. I expected to need ~25 hours of his services; however, I have made so much progress with him that I can't seem to get past 10.

Kaveh Khorram: In about only 8 hours, Sven (joepie91) taught me about modularization, callbacks, working with third-party modules, correct variable use, express routes and promises just to name a few. Sven often went into overtime just to make sure I understood a topic, and always made sure I had a thorough understanding of the material before ending a session. Sven is one of the most, if not the most experienced NodeJS developers I've ever worked with.

Edited by joepie91
Formatting
1 person likes this

This is awesome and I wish there were more people (on here, and in general) doing stuff like this. My problem with learning programming languages is I plateau pretty quick with most of them, and while I get the basics down I never progress past that... then I forget it all.

Good luck with this.

1 person likes this

@MannDude, how about we try to get a group rate for a "Node.js 101" class? :)

I dove into Node.js for the first time the other day and after a few hours of looking at example after example (and a lot of trial and error) I almost gave up but decided to see it through and after I did I had a finished script that did exactly what I wanted in 17 lines of code (I talked to @joepie91 about it and he even looked over my code to see my finished product). Apparently the biggest issue with Node.js is that the solution is usually more simple than you expect so you spend a lot of time over thinking it in the beginning.

It was a great experience to say the least and I've been actively looking for reasons to use Node.js again. :)

2 people like this

On 11/7/2015, 6:28:02, KuJoe said:

@MannDude, how about we try to get a group rate for a "Node.js 101" class? :)

It's a possibility ;)

• Similar Content

• By HostAg
      Special January offer: Only for a limited period of time, if you pay any server for two months in advance, you get the third month for FREE!
      Host.AG is a company that specializes in offering high quality dedicated servers and support, with an extreme grade of customer privacy. We aim to be able to provide offshore dedicated servers with 100% privacy and security for the legitimate customer.
      Our current payment options are: Credit Card, PayPal, BitCoin, PaySafeCard, PerfectMoney and Wire Payments.

But we can accommodate any payment solution the customer wishes.
      All of our servers are fully customizable.
      Mini server
      This server is fully customizable.
      Intel Xeon E3-1241 v3, 3.50GHz, 8M Cache, 8 Threads
      8 GB RAM
      1x 500GB SATA
      10 TB Bandwidth
      1Gbps uplink
      EUR 65

Basic server
      Intel Xeon E5-2430 2.20GHz, 15M Cache, 6 Cores, 12 Threads
      16GB RAM
      1x 2TB Sata
      1Gbps Uplink
      10TB Bandwidth
      EUR 85

Super server
      2x Intel Xeon E5-2440 v2 1.90GHz, 20M Cache, 16 Cores, 32 Threads
      16GB RAM
      1x 3TB Sata
      1Gbps Uplink
      10TB Bandwidth
      EUR 159

Great discounts on larger orders!
      7 Days FULL REFUND if there are any issues with the server.
      We offer 24/7 support for our servers.
      Our datacenter is located in Europe (BG)
      Use the coupon code: 2for3 and get 3 months for the price of 2. Not compatible with other offers.
      Host.AG Dedicated Servers
    • By joepie91
      I've been doing Node.js code review and tutoring for a while now, and I figured I'd try my hand at running a promo.   So, for the coming week, I'm offering five hours of Node.js tutoring for only €100 (about $113 at current exchange rates).   That's €20 per hour, a 20%-60% discount over my usual rates of €25-€50! :)   In these five hours, I'll be getting you up to speed with Node.js - you'll learn all the basics you need to get started with it, and find your way around. The tutoring is one-on-one, so you get 100% of the attention and time, and you can ask any questions you have in the process.   This offer is valid until June 24, 2015.   What you will be doing and learning   We'll go through the basics of Node.js, Express, and Jade. You'll build a very simple 'real-world web application' - for example, a to-do list, a shoutbox, a blog, or anything similarly basic that you might feel like building.   By the time we're done, you will have a basic working application, and a good foundation to start building more complex projects.   The different topics we'll address: Setting things up (installing Node.js, creating a new project, searching for and installing modules) Javascript and Node.js mechanics (callbacks/async, error handling, promises, creating modules, prototypical inheritance) Express.js (Express.js itself, Jade, common Express.js middleware) Databases (PostgreSQL, Knex) Anything else that might come up while building your small project. Requirements Motivation to learn. A code editor (some good options are Brackets, Geany, Notepad++, etc.) The ability to access GitHub Gist; if you are in China, you may need a proxy. A basic understanding of HTML and Javascript syntax (not strictly required, but without this prior knowledge, we probably won't be able to finish in 5 hours). A basic understanding of how to operate a terminal/commandline. You can use any operating system, but keep in mind that Windows can cause problems with Node.js sometimes - you will need to install Visual Studio, not all Node.js modules might work out of the box, and Windows has some issues with long paths. If you have the ability to work/test on a Linux or OS X system, that's preferable.   A database will be provided, you won't have to set up PostgreSQL yourself (although it's advisable to learn this at a later point, of course).   Price   €100 for 5 hours. If you meet the requirements listed above, it shouldn't take longer than that. Note that this must be paid upfront. You can pay through Bitcoin, PayPal, or SEPA transfer.   If you already know the basics of Node.js, you may also use the 5 hours for other Node.js-related tutoring - however, keep in mind that I can't guarantee we'll be entirely finished within those 5 hours. I'm also still available for other work at my usual rate :)   Alright, where do I sign up?!   Simply send me a PM on here, e-mail me at [email protected], or talk to me on XMPP ([email protected]) or IRC (joepie91 on Freenode)!
    • By joepie91
      After having helped people out in #Node.js on Freenode for a while, I figured out that I actually quite enjoy reviewing code and teaching people, and there aren't really any ethical concerns either. So... I've turned that into paid work :)

The 'canonical' page with information about this is here, but below is the same info for easier reading (slightly modified).

Specializations Node.js (also previous experience with Python and PHP, but not currently offering code review for those) Application security Actual code readability and maintainability, not just enforcing a style guide Web-based applications primarily - mainly Express-based, but can also review other types of applications Promises, map/reduce/filter, etc. Scraping (from any source) Unusual architectures and experimental technologies Methodology
      I value readability above strict adherence to a style. I don't enforce style guides, but I will point out even tiny readability issues. I review in stages. Every "stage" is increasingly granular. I'll start with general code style issues, incorrect indentation, etc. - then move on to modularization, and so on, looking at increasingly smaller issues. I will wait with the next stage until you've finished changing the issues found in the previous change - this makes it easier for you to recognize and understand the problems, and easier for me to review and not miss little things. In general, I'm a perfectionist. I'll keep suggesting improvements until there's nothing left to suggest. Where needed, I will write chunks of example code or refactor small parts of your code, to illustrate concepts and patterns. I am very direct. I won't sugarcoat things, and will point out any problems I see. I may come across as hostile, but I'm not - I just want the best possible end result, as effectively as possible. I will always provide rationale for suggestions. No "just because". This is both code review and tutoring, really - I want you to actually understand why a change needs to be made, and will do my best to explain things in a way you understand them. Payment   Both fixed-price and hourly rate are an option. Hourly rate generally ranges from 25 to 50 EUR/hr, depending on factors like project complexity, ease of communication and so on. Fixed price: 50% deposit paid up front, other 50% after completion. Price is based on LOC and expected complexity, and will be set in stone after initial agreement - no later changes. Hourly rate: upfront deposit in 10 hour increments - after 10 hours, a deposit for the next 10 hours, and so on. Remaining hours after completion are refunded. Note that time is rounded up per hour, regardless of the actual amount of work performed during that hour. For hourly-rate work, the upfront deposit can be reduced if you're on a particularly tight budget. Of course, if you feel things aren't working out, we can simply stop the review and any remaining hours will be refunded.

Contact
      E-mail: [email protected] XMPP: [email protected] IRC: joepie91 on Freenode (other methods preferred though - it's easy to lose track of PM windows) ... or a PM on here, of course :) Tutoring
        Perhaps you don't really have any code to review, but just want to learn Node.js or a specific technology. That's also possible! Do note the following things, though: Tutoring is on a hourly basis only. Fixed-price is not a possibility, because I can't reliably predict how long it will take for you to learn something. You must be motivated to learn. You can of course split up the hours any way you like, just make sure to schedule a 'session' at least 2-3 days in advance if you want to be sure of my availability. Doing your own self-directed learning inbetween sessions is perfectly okay. I'd even encourage it. I can also teach and answer miscellaneous questions about any other technologies I'm familiar with, that aren't directly Node.js-related.