amuck-landowner

Why do web hosts not use AMD processors in servers?

Wambo

Have been looking and it seems like every web host uses intel processors in there servers... why is that? Why no AMD?

gordonrp

Verified Provider
Am who?

But seriously, we have some AMD machines and they rent at a frequency of about 1:1000 vs Intel servers. More people know the Intel brand. Putting "Intel" on your site helps with your sales to non techy people who just want to think that fly-by-night-host-09999999999 will be great for them.

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
AMD is lagging on top end stuff performance of CPUs... multiple year ongoing thing.

Nothing wrong with the AMD chips and hasn't been in a very very long time.

Comes down to hype, prices being too like-Intel, and simple density per watt.  AMD would do good to redefine marketing and price points and intentionally compete at other aspects than raw CPU cycles and the slow inching forward for CPU performance.  There are other things that could be compelling.

I've been hoping AMD would get deep into the ARM world myself.

jarland

The ocean is digital
Honestly, the people I see using AMDs are the ones massively overselling. We're talking the big names selling real Virtuozzo. The kind of people who think more # of cores (threads included in calculation) means the node holds more people. I'm scared to death of anyone using AMD at this point because that's what I've seen so consistently.

mitgib

Verified Provider
I have some nodes that use AMD Opteron 61xx's  and they still do a fine job, but overall Intel is more cost effective when you evaluate bang for buck of the entire build.  I've noticed over the past 3-5 years AMD based systems cost more for lower performance. While the CPU may be on par for raw computing power with Intel, even buying Supermicro motherboards, you see disparity in pricing for the total cost to build a system.

coloAZ

We haven't used AMD in many years so perhaps things have changed. But we always felt they ran too hot. We like the best bang for our buck - long term and short term. And we just have had a better track record with Intel. 

estnoc

Verified Provider
There are actually plenty of hosting companies with amd cpu's in their offers list. Those are mostly cheap servers,tho.

ParkInHost

Verified Provider
There a millions of hosting service providers. AMD is more into gaming or graphic related servers. A hosting provider choose servers in which he could offer best service rather then choosing SERVER which is good for sales!

Regards
Parkinhost

CenTex Hosting

Verified Provider
AMD has always really focused on home side processer. Late to the game on the High end stuff. They are making headway. But i think now its more of a comfort deal with Intel.

OSTKCabal

Verified Provider
The simple fact is that Intel has put a heavy focus on their higher-end server processors, and it shows in their market share. Through some creative marketing and performance-oriented updates to their lineup, they've become the trusted go-to brand for many providers in many industries - be it dedicated, vps, web hosting, or cloud. At this point, it's "If it ain't broke, don't fix it.".

I personally feel that Intel processors offer a better overall value and package, but I'll also say that I've never seeked out or really even used any AMD Opteron-powered servers to compare them in similar configs.

Last edited by a moderator:

estnoc

Verified Provider
Seems like AMD is good and used widely for game servers.On the other hand, i know big Cloud hosting company who let customer choose, whether he wants Intel or Amd cloud.

PureVoltage

Verified Provider
We used AMD's a lot back in the day when they out did Intel's, however it was up till they tried doing their Quad cores it lacked very hard from what Intel had released. Sadly over the years AMD kind of tanked on the server side of things the old Opteron's did great. When they tried to release the quad cores AMD techs told us go with Intel... You know when the company tells you use the competition something us wrong.

I really hope that AMD steps it up with their next release.

Hxxx

Intel for servers

Amd for desktops and workstations

For the buck vs performance, AMD will always outrun Intel, in the Consumer / Desktop and Laptop market.

For servers if is not a budget server and we are talking in enterprise means, Intel will always be the one.

SkyNetHosting

Have been looking and it seems like every web host uses intel processors in there servers... why is that? Why no AMD?

they are pretty good but clients are more impressed with Intel ones that comes with large amount of threads ;) Normally most end users would simply assume more is better and have no idea about real performance factors  such as disk IO performance.  

Hosterbox

Verified Provider
Amd is really not at the same level as intel these days. Intel is really the major player here. 

AMD processors is also the most effective bet. for college kids, budget gamers, and people with straight-forward computing wants, AMD processors ar an excellent alternative – they're powerful and quick enough for many whereas undercutting challenger valuation. And yet, you hand over very little once going with AMD chips. they'll be "overclocked" for inflated speed, give strong and spirited graphics, and ar offered in multi-core setups for multithreaded performance.

nelsahost

We have few AMD machines and to be honest Intel Server processors have many adventages,perfomance is on first place but also because of some technolgies... Intel hyperthreding is very importan expecually if you plan to sell VPS but generaly also,now AMD new processors familly Ryzen will boost AMD but we still have to wait to see.When it comes server range,Intel is stil preffered,but it is not like you can't find AMD,you can find it at many places as dedicated server offer and also some companies use it for web hosting(shared almost always) as VPS node Intel is used in 99% cases...AMD has also some adventages but mostly for some special purposes,for general purpose Intel is still standard.

amuck-landowner