amuck-landowner

Exchange rates

HN-Matt

Verified Provider
So I've coded the VPS resources on ...'s order form to update in sync with the movement of various currency exchange rates. I pay for services in CAD and GBP and sell in USD, so my expenses are constantly shifting.

Since 'exchange rate' data is publicly available, it was relatively easy to make everything update in 'real time' per page load. The only problem I'm having right now is with PayPal. I've been having to re-edit their special exchange rates into the equation every week or so (a hassle) because they don't seem to make the data public. Or if it is public, I haven't been able to find it anywhere.

Does anyone know if there's a way to view their exchange rate data without having to log in and use their currency conversion tool?

HN-Matt

Verified Provider
Seems ridiculous to have to use an 'API' (needs special 'developer' credentials and blah blah blah) for something like exchange rate data. There's seriously nothing publicly available?

ConvertCurrency Errors

Code

Additional Information

Internal error

Your request was invalid. Check the parameter of the error to see which is invalid

The argument is unsupported

I grimly lol'd

Last edited by a moderator:

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
Track and trace APIs are all the rage as of oh 5 years ago...  They drive me nuts... stuff should just be open.

HN-Matt

Verified Provider
The 'should' of it is probably up to PayPal (their house their rules and blah blah), I just don't understand the need for secrecy at that level.

Code:
National currency exchange rates: Open & viewable to anyone
Cryptocurrency exchange rates: Open & viewable to anyone
PayPal's currency exchange rates: ???

Also curious if there is any rationale for the idiosyncratic rate beyond 'extracting a small fee during US currency conversions'.

According to Eric Jackson's account of PayPal in his book The PayPal Wars, Thiel viewed PayPal's mission as liberating people throughout the world from the erosion of the value of their currencies due to inflation.

Guess that sorta backfired...

Last edited by a moderator:

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
PayPal in fairness has some owned companies that are more about the concept of person to person payments.

PayPal is going through pains right now and about 3rd level of identity crisis.  Remember it's part of Ebay and Ebay was / has spun PayPal back out.  Ebay, as a buyer, has gone to the damn dogs... Half of everything is someone drop shipping Amazon at a significant uptick, 35% probably are aholes in China shipping from China while lying about being in the US.  I am expecting PayPal to hit some rough times soon with similar fails or for their other fledgling projects to eat away at PayPal directly.

PayPal's currency data should be wide open so anyone can keep eye on it and allow for audits and such.  This hiding it and not accessible without identifying is definitely blah in my book.

ricardo

>secrecy about their exchange rates

Fact is they make quite a bit money from these transactions because their exchange rates aren't competitive, at all. I would assume that's why they don't display them openly.

amuck-landowner