• Announcements

• MannDude

Current state of vpsBoard   02/04/2017

Dear vpsBoard members and guests:

Over the last year or two vpsBoard activity and traffic has dwindled. I have had a change of career and interests, and as such am no longer an active member of the web hosting industry.

Due to time constraints and new interests I no longer wish to continue to maintain vpsBoard. The web site will remain only as an archive to preserve and showcase some of the great material, guides, and industry news that has been generated by members, some of which I remain in contact to this very day and now regard as personal friends.

I want to thank all of our members who helped make vpsBoard the fastest growing industry forum. In it's prime it was an active and ripe source of activity, news, guides and just general off-topic banter and fun.

I wish all members and guests the very best, whether it be with your business or your personal projects.

-MannDude
drmike

OVH intends to ruin the hosting industry.

70 posts in this topic

23 hours ago, StackNetwork said:

They are going to increase price too - 

Haven't they already increased prices on orders before actually delivering any services?

I feel I have read this somewhere recently but can't find it, I think it's the case for Australian Services.

I don't think so.

IU mean they did write that it'd be for new orders only.  Not existing orders. 

1 person likes this

Australia and Hong Kong are more expensive due connectivity and colo costs;.

Yeah Hong Kong has always been a little pain in the butt due to higher bandwidth costs.

I'm just glad Singapore's getting cheaper, but Hong Kong doesn't really seem to be. 

Australia and Singapore higher bandwidth costs OVH "solved" capping data transfer. ;)

** Transfer rate up to 1 Gbps, reduced to 10 Mbps from 3TB/month.

*** Average usage over the last 24 hours cannot exceed 100 Mbps.

(100Mbps unlimited is available for an additional 50€ monthly).

Singapore: https://www.ovh.ie/discover/singapore.xml

** Transfer rate up to 1 Gbps, reduced to 10 Mbps from 3TB/month.

*** Average usage over the last 24 hours cannot exceed 100 Mbps.

100 Mbps unlimited (burst 1Gbps***): + €110.00 /month

Sydney: https://www.ovh.ie/discover/australia.xml

However OVH is used to use cheap abandoned factory buildings, cheap retrofitted servers, cheap energy, cheap water cooling, cheap racks, no fire supression system,  but in Sydney it is using Equinix facility -- and in Singapore I guess OVH is colocating with Equinix as well:

05vESsv.jpg

OVH Singapore

Fry6XA2.jpg

OVH Singapore

pFe4N4v.png

OVH Singapore

aNpwcmQ.jpg

OVH Singapore

18xhKxI.jpg

OVH Singapore

jEjXVL9.jpg

OVH Warsaw (PL)

x99OkfI.jpg

OVH Varsaw

1 person likes this

Been pretty busy but this email just came in.

Seems OVH Singapore and Sydney got bumped back 15 days more now.

Hello,
Due to a recent issue we are forced to push back the launch of the introductory offer in Sydney and Singapore. We estimate that it will take 15 days to resolve the matter.

The opening of a new datacenter in a new geographical zone requires us to deploy a new VAC (anti-DDoS system) infrastructure.  VAC works under a simple principal that permits the “vacuuming” of incoming traffic in the event of a DDoS attack.

A couple of cases can occur:

• The user is in close proximity of the datacenter, in this case we locally vacuum traffic at the level of the datacenter (for example, in Singapore). Because it is not conceivable to redirect traffic to other the other VACs in Europe or Canada (due to latency).

• The user is in another zone (Europe, US...), in this case, traffic is will enter through one of our worldwide Points of Presence then be directed to the closest VAC. The goal is to avoid attacks being carried out on the entire backbone. The combination of these two techniques allows attack mitigation to be spread across the maximum number of VACs and increases security.

However, the second case requires us to use a routing function that is not available in the software version that was deployed on the routers.

We must update all equipment on the entire OVH infrastructure including in Europe and US/CA.

We thank you for the confidence that you place in us and apologize for any inconvenience.

The OVH team

1 person likes this

3 hours ago, fm7 said:

@HalfEatenPie

Have you got any news?

Nope.  

I actually forgot about this until now.  No deployment in Singapore nor any new news from them.

This is the 3rd time they've missed a deadline lol but we all knew that going in with OVH and new locations. 

1 person likes this

On 12/21/2016 at 5:04 PM, fm7 said:

@HalfEatenPie

Have you got any news?

Just got this.

Hello,

Twenty days ago we informed you that we were having difficulty deploying our new VAC infrastructure (the anti-DDoS system) in our Sydney and Singapore datacentres.

The deployment proved to be more difficult than we had anticipated and we have therefore been forced to further delay the delivery of your pre-ordered solutions.

In fact, implementing this new infrastructure could have negative side-effects on the entire OVH network. As it is the festive and sale season, we are especially keen to avoid this and guarantee that our customers receive the best service. 

We will keep you informed as soon as your server is available. To compensate for this delay, OVH is pleased to offer you one-month service for free; an opportunity for you to test our new datacenters.

Alternatively, you can still cancel your order from your confirmation email and get a full refund.

We apologize about this delay and thank you for the confidence that you place in us.

Regards,
The OVH team

So... I wonder if I now get 2 months free instead of one?

1 person likes this

• Similar Content

• By DomainBop
      OVH offers users  the choice of using its modified custom Linux kernels or the regular distro's kernel.  Ubuntu's license contains a clause that requires anyone who distributes a modified version of Ubuntu to get approval from Ubuntu and pay a license fee to use the Ubuntu mark. Canonical/Ubuntu wants OVH to pay a licensing fee of 1-2 euros monthly for each installation which over the course of a year would amount to about 1 million euros.  According to the article Canonical (owner of Ubuntu) is also asking Dreamhost, which also uses a modified version of Ubuntu,  to pay a licensing fee.
      (google translate was invented so you could read the French articles I link to) http://www.clubic.com/pro/actualite-e-business/actualite-809784-ubuntu-canonical-payer-ovh.html
    • By fm7
      Redirecting over and over to the login page.

http://travaux.ovh.net/?do=details&id=17229
    • By DomainBop
      If any of you OVH based providers want to set yourself apart from the crowd and be the first to start offering PowerKVM VPS's out of RBX for under $7 monthly I might be interested.  A Power8 OpenStack offering would be even better as long as you keep it under $7  (it's been impossible to find a Power8 VPS since OVH/Runabove ended their Power8 lab).  :P
      SoYouStart launched a new server line with amazing specs for the price.:
      Virtualization options for Power8 servers: https://www.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/linuxonibm/liaam/liaamvirtoptions.htm
      MongoDB and MariaDB already offer Power8 versions so these servers would be great for heavy data processing with large databases...big data

• By drmike
      OVH is offline in Canada right now.
      Someone miles away from the DC cut fiber somehow.
      What is alarming here is that fiber goes to Newark, NJ, meaning it appears OVH only has that bandwidth.  No local / regional peering.  Quite strange.
      6 strands are down.  OVH CEO said 4 hours.  
      It's dark fiber, no clue how big the whole bundle they are in - might be a ton of fibers to cut, prep, polish, test, etc. before they get things patched up.