amuck-landowner

Provider vs. Proxy

ioZoom

Verified Provider
I don't think anyone wouldn't accept new customers if they used a proxy, they just wouldn't auto create the account if it was purchased through a proxy. But a little verification the old fashion way would do the job.

HN-Matt

Verified Provider
I don't think anyone wouldn't accept new customers if they used a proxy, they just wouldn't auto create the account if it was purchased through a proxy.

You must be new to web hosting!

Last edited by a moderator:

HN-Matt

Verified Provider
Not quite what I had in mind, but looks like Netflix is the first to start shooting itself in the foot.

The company said Thursday morning that, in the coming weeks, customers will no longer be able to use “proxies or ‘unblockers’” to access content that’s not licensed to be streamed in their region. Netflix cited the outdated “historic practice” of licensing movies and TV shows based on geographic restrictions as the reason for the crackdown

Onward to historical outdatedness...

Let me say that I'm not so interested in shaming providers re: their policies, but more curious about what, to them, constitutes a proxy to begin with. I see a lot of potential for false positives, bogus secretive IP blacklists ala Microsoft-style idiocy, worse-than-kangaroo-court authoritarian "but s/he used a proxy" exclusionary power tripping pseudo-excuses against undesirables, spook diarrhoea rates tripling or quadrupling with perfected statistical precision, etc.

toralb

Matt. sorry to hijack this post,, but my account on your server ellipsisno.de has ben down for days.

the cpanel link is down as well

https://site.ellipsisno.de:2083

dont know how to contact you.

can you reply to this thread on the status of my account on your server or provide a contact info where i can reach you?

thanks

HalfEatenPie

The Irrational One
Retired Staff
Matt. sorry to hijack this post,, but my account on your server ellipsisno.de has ben down for days.

can you reply to this thread on the status of my account on your server or provide a contact info where i can reach you?

thanks

Please contact the provider directly or either via PM.

This is not the place to do something like this. Not do not submit a report of their posts about it.  There's nothing the admin team can do to help you with getting in contact with him.  

Did you try a proxy?

lol

Localnode

Verified Provider
I don't think there would be any provider that accepts orders from open proxies.
It'd be asking for trouble.

HN-Matt

Verified Provider

thanks

Multiple emails were sent about this. Send me a PM. You may even use a proxy. Thank you for hijacking this Premium vpsBoard thread.

toralb

Multiple emails were sent about this. Send me a PM. You may even use a proxy. Thank you for hijacking this Premium vpsBoard thread.

Matt. you should fix the issues on your server and help your paying customers. i tried to reach you through this forum because this is how i found your hosting services, there is no contact info on your website and you did not respond to my emails.

as a paying customer i have a right to expect my services to be up and running.

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
I entirely missed this thread and find it to have use.

I live on VPN.  Have ran into providers who demand I get off the VPN and login otherwise. Meh, yeah utility to such a list.

HN-Matt

Verified Provider
Have ran into providers who demand I get off the VPN and login otherwise.

Same. It was bizarre when they claimed I could use a VPN as long as it was an extension of my office connection, yet when I told them it was, they still denied the order. In theory they would have no way of knowing whether a VPN is part of an 'office connection' or not, which suggests certain pitiful/comedic ulterior motives at play. Guess we'll have to wait for the open source version! :)

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
I respect folks wanting to avoid fraud and chargebacks.

I recommend companies out there have solid alt payment options for at-risk customers like us.  Stuff like store cards or Bitcoin where no refunds are given and risk pooled.

Everything in my environments is via VPN.  Remote office and all, same thing.  Heck even when using mobile data it's VPN.  So yes, the criteria is one I care about.

HN-Matt

Verified Provider
First they came for the Proxies, and I did not speak out—
Because I was not a Proxy Liker.

Then they came for the VPN Providers, and I did not speak out—
Because I was not a VPN Haver.

Then they came for the Whuffies...

layeronline

Verified Provider
Guns don't kill people, people kill people. there is nothing wrong with proxy, just that some are used by fraudsters.

amuck-landowner