amuck-landowner

320,000 Time Warner Customers comrpromised.

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
Another day and more irresponsible companies up to no good.  Today, Time Warner dropped the ball on this one... 320k people have their passwords out there.

Time Warner Cable Inc said on Wednesday up to 320,000 customers may have had their email passwords stolen.

The company said email and password details were likely gathered either through malware downloaded during phishing attacks or indirectly through data breaches of other companies that stored Time Warner Cable's customer information, including email addresses.

Unsure what this part is "... other companies that stored Time Warner Cable's customer information".   Tsssk.  Why does this happen?

AuroraZero

This happens because most companies have no clue about data security in the first place. They farm it out to other companies and expect them to protect it. When it does not happen the way they expect it to they then blame them for not doing their jobs. It is the shit rolls down hill theory. Every one needs some one else to blame other then themselves. It is never their fault, but it always falls some one else.

This happens because no one has been responsible for all of this happening. They can get away with this, and nothing happens to any one because it is always some one else who did not do their job, it is never them. Instead of taking the responsibility for the data security in the first place, and doing what it necessary to protect it, they half ass it and let it go at that. They farm it out to the lowest bidder (usually), and then when problems crop up try to do damage control. 

It is sad fact that the common layman does not know what is happening behind the scenes, and therefore can not even come close to making an informed decision. Some try their best with the information they have, but ultimately if they do not have what they need they are doomed to fail from the start. Most people would not even know what half of the information meant even if they had it begin with, and that right there is a real injustice.

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
You'd think these big companies would have web based cloud solutions they entirely control and nothing handed to vendors....  Some day someone will sue this into reality.

AuroraZero

You'd think these big companies would have web based cloud solutions they entirely control and nothing handed to vendors....  Some day someone will sue this into reality.

Also part of the problem of the layman, they have no clue that they can sue and win. Most people do not understand how their T.V. gets a picture let alone how to protect their data online. Most could give two shits really until they are a victim of identity theft. Then they are all up in arms over getting things compromised. A lot of people think that Lifelock will protect them, when that service does not do anything really. 

Take my friends story today, He works for a University here and does I.T. work. A member of the faculty, now this is a woman with a P.H.D. mind you, comes to him and wonders why her stuff will print. So he checks it out and finds out that, not only has she not been able to print since November, because she is using the wrong user/pass combo, but she has tried to print the same document five hundred times. The frelling print que is filled with her garbage, and she has been doing this since November.  

Now after hearing this story, and many more like it, I begin to discover that is just not the layman of the world who do not have a clue anymore. There is a big lack of common sense in this world and that is one sad state of affairs. Logic and reason have gone out the window, and have replaced with the idiocy of the day it seems. 

DomainBop

Dormant VPSB Pathogen
This happens because no one has been responsible for all of this happening. They can get away with this, and nothing happens to any one because it is always some one else who did not do their job, it is never them

It also happens because the penalties for failing to properly deal with breaches in many cases are a joke so there is no incentive to implement costly security measures. Latest example, Uber valued at $62+ billion getting hit with a tiny $20K fine by my states's AG this week.  Great publicity for the AG Schneiderman (who may run for governor in 2018) but that's about it.

tmzVPS-Daniel

Verified Provider
They will get sued, they will pay out a few bucks and write it off as business expense. It's a shame they dont take this seriously enough. 

- Daniel :)

HN-Matt

Verified Provider

Yeah, there's a bit of an 'unreal' quality to it all, especially considering the scale and frequency of the attacks. As in no one ever really seems to care when it happens. The more attentive probably just shrug it off and change their passwords, while the remaining 50% never become aware that it occurred.

In truth the majority of 'large scale' database dumps against Big Names are probably relatively meaningless in the grand scheme of most lives.

Take my friends story today, He works for a University here and does I.T. work. A member of the faculty, now this is a woman with a P.H.D. mind you, comes to him and wonders why her stuff will print. So he checks it out and finds out that, not only has she not been able to print since November, because she is using the wrong user/pass combo, but she has tried to print the same document five hundred times. The frelling print que is filled with her garbage, and she has been doing this since November.

"Madam, I am only a layman, but if you would be so kind as to allow me the use of your Secure Socket Layer for the evening,"

Last edited by a moderator:
amuck-landowner