• Announcements

• MannDude

Current state of vpsBoard   02/04/2017

Dear vpsBoard members and guests:

Over the last year or two vpsBoard activity and traffic has dwindled. I have had a change of career and interests, and as such am no longer an active member of the web hosting industry.

Due to time constraints and new interests I no longer wish to continue to maintain vpsBoard. The web site will remain only as an archive to preserve and showcase some of the great material, guides, and industry news that has been generated by members, some of which I remain in contact to this very day and now regard as personal friends.

I want to thank all of our members who helped make vpsBoard the fastest growing industry forum. In it's prime it was an active and ripe source of activity, news, guides and just general off-topic banter and fun.

I wish all members and guests the very best, whether it be with your business or your personal projects.

-MannDude
drmike

Alternative Phone OS Users?

10 posts in this topic

Anyone out there using any of the alternative phone OSes yet?  Firefox OS, Ubuntu's Phone OS, etc.

Been waiting to see a push and phones have launched and seeing little coverage here/

I have a couple of Maemo phones but don't use them much.  They're not that practical.  I don't really want a smartphone anyway, since I already spend too much time online.  If I ever go for mobile data on any scale, it will probably be in a wifi hotspot that I can use with my laptop.

1 person likes this

I am using Windows Phone 10 :-)

Just upgraded from Symbian to Windows Phone 8.1.  I'll update to Windows 10 when it's available (out of beta).

I tried Firefox OS, Somewhat slugish and Ubuntu Phone OS was murder on the Nexus 4..

Hopefully the stability will improve once they get a little more age behind them

Qualcomm Dual Core 1.4GHz -> not sure about its processor its comparible to the Iphone5 Dual-core 1.3 GHz Swift (ARM v7-based)

On 2016-01-29 at 5:39 AM, graeme said:

I would love to buy this: http://shop.jolla.com/eu_en/cat-jolla.html but they do not deliver where I live.

Pretty awesome and will run Android apps!!! DING DING DING we have a winner.  That has my interest and thanks for it!

If you buy one I would like to know if it is as good as it looks. I am going on the basis that it is a continuation of Meego, and, while Meego was not much of a success, the last Meego phone Nokia made (the N9) seems to have been really good and Jolla was founded by people from the N9 team.

What Nokia seems to have done was persist with Meego until they got it right, at which point they dropped it.

1 person likes this

I am loyal to android os.I haven't use those windows os in my phone.Soon i will try it 

• Similar Content

• By poomrokc
      Hello , sorry for the confusing title ,I do not speak english as my first language.(and also sorry if the topic does not fit here)
      Problem background: I just want to create a website as a competitive program grader for my school. Like complie and run source code on the server. So below is my idea and i would like some help/suggestions before i do it,I still don't know if this will work.
      Mysql usage:
      The problem one is that i would use one of the table as my user-submission queue.When user submit a code, I first put it in this table(i suppose it put the new row in the bottom of the table?) .
      Python program usage:
      I would run a 24/7 program on my server that check every 10 second  if the queue table is not empty, just run the grading process(I know how to do it) and then pop it off the queue.Then check again.

PHP usage:
      When a person submit code, i will use php to put it on the queue table,but it may be the same time my python program is popping something off the queue table too. This is where I get confuse whether it will work or not.(Other usage of the php is just things about web interface which I had done before and know what to do)

So,would this idea even work? Will it break my server or something?As a competitive programmer guy I don't know much snd will greatly appreciate any help from u guys. :)

Thank you very much.
    • By DomainBop
      OVH offers users  the choice of using its modified custom Linux kernels or the regular distro's kernel.  Ubuntu's license contains a clause that requires anyone who distributes a modified version of Ubuntu to get approval from Ubuntu and pay a license fee to use the Ubuntu mark. Canonical/Ubuntu wants OVH to pay a licensing fee of 1-2 euros monthly for each installation which over the course of a year would amount to about 1 million euros.  According to the article Canonical (owner of Ubuntu) is also asking Dreamhost, which also uses a modified version of Ubuntu,  to pay a licensing fee.
      (google translate was invented so you could read the French articles I link to) http://www.clubic.com/pro/actualite-e-business/actualite-809784-ubuntu-canonical-payer-ovh.html
    • By fm7
      Ubuntu on Windows 10 -- The Ubuntu Userspace for Windows Developers
    • By drmike
      I am excited by the potential of this project.  It's early yet, so cutting edge and not polished if your OS and desktop isn't what they are building for.
      Shashlik allows you to run Android apps on Ubuntu, so long as you are running KDE.   Others, good luck, try it and maybe we can help kick solutions back to the authors.
      This is for Kubuntu:
      http://www.shashlik.io/news/2016/02/18/shashlik-0-9-0-kubuntu-package/
      ArchLinux and Github links over here: http://www.shashlik.io/download/
      Place you can grab famous software APKs from: http://apkpure.com/
      Someone give it a spin.  My Linux Mint environment installs it, but no dice getting anything to work.  Going to spin up VirtualBox Kubuntu install later and see if it will work under that.

• By HalfEatenPie
      Howdy folks,
      I've recently been having problems with my Ubuntu VPS on my Windows server.  I have access to both the Host node and the guest node (since this is a multi-use server and I wanted to use both Windows and Linux services), and I guess I thought I set it up properly but it seems there's a networking problem on the server.
      There's periods when the Ubuntu VM has major packet loss while the actual host server is mostly fine.  Sometimes when I'm rsyncing large files (12 GB worth of files), the network gets dropped on the entire Ubuntu VM and I get the error "ping: sendmsg: No buffer space available".  This was reproducible whenever I'd rsync out larger files. 
      Basic research shows this is usually due to an incompatibility of the on-board NIC on the Server (of course this is assuming Ubuntu was installed on the base hardware, not within a VM).  I'm assuming this is a problem with my bridge setup. 
      Anyways, this is a Hyper-V Generation 1 VM.  The bridge is basically all default variables requested when setting it up through the Wizard available on the Windows Server 2012 R2 (Datacenter Edition).  Upon further Google Searching, I've found that we have to increase the memory allocation for the packets, and was suggested I add the following lines into sysctl:
      net.core.rmem_max=16777216 net.core.wmem_max=16777216 net.ipv4.tcp_rmem=4096 87380 16777216 net.ipv4.tcp_wmem=4096 65536 16777216 In addition, the following command was executed: echo 83886080 > /proc/sys/net/core/wmem_max
      Anyways, even with these changes I'm still having some problems.  Anyone know of a good way to start troubleshooting this issue?  
      Thanks!