amuck-landowner

Alternative Phone OS Users?

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
Anyone out there using any of the alternative phone OSes yet?  Firefox OS, Ubuntu's Phone OS, etc.

Been waiting to see a push and phones have launched and seeing little coverage here/

willie

I have a couple of Maemo phones but don't use them much.  They're not that practical.  I don't really want a smartphone anyway, since I already spend too much time online.  If I ever go for mobile data on any scale, it will probably be in a wifi hotspot that I can use with my laptop.

dave

Just upgraded from Symbian to Windows Phone 8.1.  I'll update to Windows 10 when it's available (out of beta).

DMMediaLtd

Verified Provider
I tried Firefox OS, Somewhat slugish and Ubuntu Phone OS was murder on the Nexus 4..

Hopefully the stability will improve once they get a little more age behind them

DMMediaLtd

Verified Provider
Qualcomm Dual Core 1.4GHz -> not sure about its processor its comparible to the Iphone5 Dual-core 1.3 GHz Swift (ARM v7-based)

graeme

If you buy one I would like to know if it is as good as it looks. I am going on the basis that it is a continuation of Meego, and, while Meego was not much of a success, the last Meego phone Nokia made (the N9) seems to have been really good and Jolla was founded by people from the N9 team.

What Nokia seems to have done was persist with Meego until they got it right, at which point they dropped it.

WasNotWSS

FireOS and Ubuntu are all but completely dead these days.

@DMMediaLtd - There's hope for your mako still! Although I'll occasionally get bored and try something new, I'm rocking Pure Nexus on both my Nexus 4 and Nexus 5. The latest Nougat branches are a little slow to start on the Nexus 4, but Marshmallow development is done- there is a guy on G+ who was making unofficial (Dirty Cow+Etc) patches for PN/Mako on Marshmallow, but he abandoned it a few months ago.

If you decide to try Pure Nexus, make sure you flash the GApps suggested in the thread for that build. OpenGApps is sometimes not the right answer.

Jonathan

Woohoo
Administrator
Verified Provider
I used Windows Phone when Treo was still a thing lol. Been Android since then. Got a rooted Nexus 6P at the moment.

WestPlainsHosting

I had Ubuntu on a old Nexus. It was pretty nice, had a few bugs but was a port over so that was expected. Its hard to go with the alt OS when there's not the app development for them.

amuck-landowner