• Announcements

    • MannDude

      Current state of vpsBoard   02/04/2017

      Dear vpsBoard members and guests:

      Over the last year or two vpsBoard activity and traffic has dwindled. I have had a change of career and interests, and as such am no longer an active member of the web hosting industry.

      Due to time constraints and new interests I no longer wish to continue to maintain vpsBoard. The web site will remain only as an archive to preserve and showcase some of the great material, guides, and industry news that has been generated by members, some of which I remain in contact to this very day and now regard as personal friends.

      I want to thank all of our members who helped make vpsBoard the fastest growing industry forum. In it's prime it was an active and ripe source of activity, news, guides and just general off-topic banter and fun.

      I wish all members and guests the very best, whether it be with your business or your personal projects.

      -MannDude
Wambo

Host your own DNS or use a DNS specialist company?

44 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, Neo said:

I use Rage4, moved away from PDNS clustered with MYSQL Replication, had enought Nodes for that but DDOS protection was a concern.

But now since Rage4 revoked Unlimited from Sponsored Accounts (early Promo Accounts/Free Paid like 12 bucks per year) and moved it to 100mio request no idea what happens if someone request from ther servers 120mio times just to piss me off.

Rage4 has been pretty cheap, however lots of complaints about the lookups used and wild fluctuations.

I like their provider buy in model.  Wish more people would buy into it / offer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah its cheap, you can get a account for 12EUR a Year for private use from Prometeus.net.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm all for self-hosting services, but for the life of me can't figure out powerdns. I've tried it a few times on VM-s and the server never answered to dig.

I use cloudflare for everything for now.

Indeed, domainbop's comment of failure.

Imagine they drop, lock and purge all free accounts in 30 minutes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, GM2015 said:

I'm all for self-hosting services, but for the life of me can't figure out powerdns. I've tried it a few times on VM-s and the server never answered to dig.

I use cloudflare for everything for now.

Indeed, domainbop's comment of failure.

Imagine they drop, lock and purge all free accounts in 30 minutes.

Been years since I had PowerDNS going here... Was never simple.

Perhaps someone can share their install notes or point to working tutorial?

This is a simple single instance install with MariaDB:

https://www.digitalocean.com/community/tutorials/how-to-install-and-configure-powerdns-with-a-mariadb-backend-on-ubuntu-14-04

Simple single server Raspberry Pi install:

http://workshop.botter.ventures/2013/10/01/how-to-setup-a-dns-server-with-powerdns-on-raspberry-pi/

Single server CentOS install:

http://www.tecmint.com/install-powerdns-poweradmin-mariadb-in-centos-rhel/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, drmike said:

Been years since I had PowerDNS going here... Was never simple.

Perhaps someone can share their install notes or point to working tutorial?

This is a simple single instance install with MariaDB:

https://www.digitalocean.com/community/tutorials/how-to-install-and-configure-powerdns-with-a-mariadb-backend-on-ubuntu-14-04

That's what I've followed on Debian 8(mostly ubuntu 14.04 tutorials work, sometimes you have to modify file path and package names) and there was no response coming from bind when queried with dig. I've set bind to accept queries from 10.0.0.0/8 and localhost. It never answered despite reboots/service restarts.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Weird situation, always something overlooked.

How about binding it in config file to 127.0.0.1 and querying directly against that.  Be sure the process is indeed running.  I forget if it gracefully fails / notifies you when things go wrong.

Let me see if another clean tutorial out there that is maybe a tad better.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, GM2015 said:

That's what I've followed on Debian 8(mostly ubuntu 14.04 tutorials work, sometimes you have to modify file path and package names) and there was no response coming from bind when queried with dig. I've set bind to accept queries from 10.0.0.0/8 and localhost. It never answered despite reboots/service restarts.

try:

rm /etc/powerdns/pdns.d/pdns.simplebind.conf

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 20/02/2016 at 11:42 PM, drmike said:

Little better tutorial with this one.. using plain old MySQL... Some debugging towards the end of it:
http://www.unixmen.com/how-to-install-powerdns-on-ubuntu-14-04/

 

On 21/02/2016 at 0:05 AM, DomainBop said:

try:


rm /etc/powerdns/pdns.d/pdns.simplebind.conf

 

It was surely something in the config directory in the default config files that stopped pdns from replying. Now it's working, except for the resolver's returning nothing! But I'll look into it.

 

Thanks for the link and ideas.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For the average user I would recommend using Cloudflare DNS. There is no better option. If you want more specialized design, you are not the average user anymore.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We do host our own DNS, setup in different locations and different nodes, very easy and uptime is great compare to just one server.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, web-project said:

We do host our own DNS, setup in different locations and different nodes, very easy and uptime is great compare to just one server.

1. "just one server" violates RFC

2. Nameserver uptime doesn't matter

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, fm7 said:

1. "just one server" violates RFC

2. Nameserver uptime doesn't matter

No penalty or find for violating RFCs :)  Just more expected downtime with the SPOF (Single Point of Failure).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, drmike said:

No penalty or find for violating RFCs :)  Just more expected downtime with the SPOF (Single Point of Failure).

No penalty for violating anything. :)

You want 2+ nameservers because route is the most frequent point of failure.

BTW a server may be "down" for a cache nameserver and "up" for a client application running elsewhere.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 06/04/2016 at 6:46 PM, fm7 said:

1. "just one server" violates RFC

2. Nameserver uptime doesn't matter

tell us where did I mentioned the one server? if the nameservers located in different networks and different node as I mentioned in post above!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Off course Cloudflare and Route53 are good providers but I was amazed that DnSimple did not get quoted. It is a rather effective service and like the name suggest simple and with nice documentation.

Bottom line, my answer is use a provider, self hosting DNS can bite very hard if you do not know exactly what you are doing. DNS failures are one of the most common sources of outages.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We are still in the testing stages with our DNS plans. We are trying a few different ways including CloudFlare and cPanel DNS. We are trying to bring speed and availability to the table.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/15/2016 at 7:33 AM, JahAGR said:

This is my exact DNS setup. 3x cheap VPS with PowerDNS + Poweradmin. Really works well.

In the past I had used BuddyNS. Service was fine but I was always riding the limits of the free tier.

 

Do you have a blog or website where you share your experience of hosting your DNS using PowerDNS? I made some efforts but was not able to get it to work properly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am using Cloudflare and quite happy with it. No more "PAGE NOT FOUND" errors for static pages during very small downtime such as reboots etc.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites