amuck-landowner

LHMP - Hiawatha PHP-FPM MariaDB, install and administration

ZEROF

Hi all,

I posted before about this tool,but i didn't have time for updates last few months and in last few weeks few nice people asked when tool will be updated. I took few evenings hours and i made first version to support Devuan and Debian 8.

What this tool is about

1. Easy way to set secure web server
2. Save server setting time
3. Run on Pi 2 and BeagleBone board

What this tool do for you

install_hiawatha_server.png

Where to get your copy

https://gist.github.com/ZEROF/10743343

How to

-Save script as hiawatha.sh

-Set permission chmod +x hiawatha.sh

-Run it ./hiawatha.sh

Use it

If you can, use it on fresh installed servers.

Have fun and send your ideas.

Last edited by a moderator:

ZEROF

Small update folks. Thanks to people asked for fail2ban.

-Install fail2ban (you can set port, you don't need to use 22, because LES and other NAT boxes don't use standard ports)

-This will add SFTP protection as well.

-Remove fail2ban and settings.

Cheers!

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
What machine specs are kind of minimum for this script to run right on?  RAM is the thing I am mainly interested in.

Thanks for the script and the hard work.

ZEROF

Hi drmike,

I can say that i have 512mb vm in my home lab running Devuan (jessie). I have BeagleBone (512mb of RAM) and Pi 2 (1gb of ram). My site running on 2gb Atom server, installed with this script as well. I guess all from 512>Xgb ram vps/server will do. I have a lot of clients servers as well but i don't remember if some of them had less then 512mb of ram.

What you need to do, and i will add to script as option, is to disable MySql engine InnoDB. This engine will not perform well on low ram box. If you have some vps with less then 512mb it will be nice if you can test it. I think that this will work with less ram without InnoDB. Hiawatha will only use 50-60mb of ram or less for small site.

To disable InnoDB just add inside your my.cnf, under [mysqld]:

Code:
[mysqld]
skip-innodb
default-storage-engine=MyISAM

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
Hi drmike,

I can say that i have 512mb vm in my home lab running Devuan (jessie). I have BeagleBone (512mb of RAM) and Pi 2 (1gb of ram). My site running on 2gb Atom server, installed with this script as well. I guess all ....

Much respect to you.  I'll give the script a spin this week when I am tinkering with my heap of ARM devices and having an install fest to clean my creative mind.

ZEROF

Thanks man, i just checked on one small server (not VPS) and this settings use 247Mb of ram, but site is busy one. InnoDB is enabled, i guess if disabled can be even less. Anyway that is good for low end box. But i guess real test will be without InnoDB. I need to check if client use InnoDB if not i will disable and test it.

EDIT:

Tested and server use 40-50Mb less :).

Final test without extra settings give us 200mb of ram is all what you need.

graeme

Should those of us who want just Hiawatha and not this whole stack add the Debian repo for Hiawatha and install from there instead?

I am thinking of using Haiawatha to server static content for multiple sites and as a proxy for the app servers behind it (mostly python and Postgres) so the only reason I would want this stack is to run Hiawatha monitor.

Incidentally, do you particualrly like Debian/Devuan as a platform to run Hiawatha on? It has been packaged for a number of distros and OSes including some security focused things like Alpine Linux and BSDs.

ZEROF

Hi,

First this tool will add Hiawatha .deb repo, but you can use what you want, just don't run install Hiawatha from menu. But if version change, and config files is not the same, you can get some errors. I use Devuan for some time now and I am happy with it, don't need to deal with some odd systemd issues. Last one was that systemd will try to remove UEFI bios settings or something like that, I didn't go to details

amuck-landowner