amuck-landowner

Merchant Account

Mayers

Verified Provider
Hello everyone. I'm looking for some suggestions for a merchant account. I for a bank / service that offers a plugin for whmcs (or there is a plugin for download), good customer service and good rates.

If anyone can suggest a merchant account service that would be great :).

DomainBop

Dormant VPSB Pathogen
Authorize.net has a WHMCS module and their Advanced Fraud Protection Suite works well and is a free add-on.  You can save money if you go with one of their resellers (rates you're able to get will depend on your expected volume, business and credit history, etc) so you might want to contact several of their merchant account resellers http://www.authorize.net/solutions/merchantsolutions/resellerdirectory/

Last edited by a moderator:

qps

Verified Provider
We've been using CDGCommerce since 2004 and they have been solid.  They can do Authorize.net or you can use Quantum Gateway which is their in-house gateway that is very similar to Authorize.net.  The nice thing about Quantum Gateway is that it doesn't add any additional transaction fees, where as Authorize.net does.

The rates at CDGCommerce are a bit higher than some others, but every time we've tried to switch, we ended up coming back due to issues with other providers.

Mayers

Verified Provider
Thank you for the feedback everyone. I'll take a look at all suggested and see what's going to be the best match :).

OneStepHosting

Verified Provider
You want a merchant or payment gateway?  , for a gateway I would also add "Stripe" to thу list, works well for us .

Last edited by a moderator:

Licensecart

try 2Checkout , I have been using their WHMCS module for a while, and they have a real good fraud detection.

2Checkout aren't Webhost friendly you can google or search on WHT. They close webhost accounts as cyber something. Or just close it for one refund.

The issue you have with merchant accounts you have full liability on chargebacks, if you use a payment gateway like stripe you minimise that risk but you have to be careful as too much chargebacks and they will close your account to protect their reputation and merchant account.

Mayers

Verified Provider
You want a merchant or payment gateway?  , for a gateway I would also add "Stripe" to thу list, works well for us .

I'm open to payment gateways, but the main goal is a merchant account. Stripe is the main reason I'm looking into merchant account :p.

Applied with them, sent them everything they asked for and didn't hear from them if I was approved. That gave me an idea of the type of support I'd get from them.

2Checkout aren't Webhost friendly you can google or search on WHT. They close webhost accounts as cyber something. Or just close it for one refund.

The issue you have with merchant accounts you have full liability on chargebacks, if you use a payment gateway like stripe you minimise that risk but you have to be careful as too much chargebacks and they will close your account to protect their reputation and merchant account.

Yes that's what I've read about 2checkout so I didn't bother.

With Stripe all was good until someone claimed fraud on a dedicated server... All detail matched, no bad fraud score etc. I sent them everything I had but they sided with them go figure. I've had 100% success when someone pulls a fast one when calling PayPal but Stripe doesn't seem to have a way to be reach via phone.

DamienSB

Verified Provider
Avoid 2checkout. Their reporting is awful and it is hard to reconcile at month end. We quit using 2checkout for this very reason.

We use authorize.net with chase paymentech and paypal. We've had no issues.

WSWD

Verified Provider
Have you tried your bank? 

That is SO often overlooked in the hosting world, and I'm not really sure why.  Well...the reason is probably that a good number of hosts are not actual businesses, thus can't get a business bank account, but whatever.  Your bank loves your money, and will normally do anything they can to keep you as a customer.  I've used my bank for brick and mortar businesses and hosting, and they've always been amazing.  For a few years, they paid for the authorize.net account, and paid all transaction fees.  They just wanted the money.  So in a sense, they were actually paying me to use them, since I would have been surely paying transaction fees with anyone else.

Your mileage may vary, depending on your bank, but both banks I have used were able to beat any of the online merchant accounts hands down.

DamienSB

Verified Provider

That is SO often overlooked in the hosting world, and I'm not really sure why.  Well...the reason is probably that a good number of hosts are not actual businesses, thus can't get a business bank account, but whatever.  Your bank loves your money, and will normally do anything they can to keep you as a customer.  I've used my bank for brick and mortar businesses and hosting, and they've always been amazing.  For a few years, they paid for the authorize.net account, and paid all transaction fees.  They just wanted the money.  So in a sense, they were actually paying me to use them, since I would have been surely paying transaction fees with anyone else.

Your mileage may vary, depending on your bank, but both banks I have used were able to beat any of the online merchant accounts hands down.

This is exactly how chase works! Probably the best advice in this thread. Your local bank should be your first choice.

Mayers

Verified Provider

I've thought about talking to them. The only problem is the WHMCS integration.

DomainBop

Dormant VPSB Pathogen
This is exactly how chase works! Probably the best advice in this thread. Your local bank should be your first choice.

Banks are  a good choice but there are also some overlooked options for accepting online payments like  Costco Wholesale (through Elavon) which offers a small business friendly merchant solution with reasonable rates (1.99% for online payments and a low $10 fee for chargebacks)

MrRapidHost

I've been using 2Checkout for a while no problems at all

amuck-landowner