amuck-landowner

Where has MannDude been?

MannDude

Just a dude
vpsBoard Founder
I know I've not been around much lately, and I do apologize. Things have slown down here in my absence and I've not been as active in response to PMs and Helpdesk request. I assure you that I am very much still alive. After getting shafted when my previous employer downsized and laid off some of it's workforce I decided to get out of the house and look for a different line of work...

I still love the hosting and VPS industry but no longer have a passion to actively work in it. It's hard to find 'real' employment in this industry when everyone, including big companies want to hire you on as a contract worker that can be thrown away on a whim and with no notice. After the most recent lay off I decided to get a real job, one that gives me actually employee status and employee rights and one that actually offers employee benefits. Since September I've been working as a Correctional Officer for the Department of Correction, as some of you may already know. I love my job and don't see myself going back to being a ticket jockey any more. Much harder to get replaced or outsourced in the industry I am in now. :)

With that said I'm not home, or at a desk as often as I once was. I come home from work and try to sleep before doing it over again. I usually work six days in a row with a lot of overtime.

So, for those of you who are wondering where I've been. That's the answer. I'm still here! Still alive.

Last edited by a moderator:

MannDude

Just a dude
vpsBoard Founder
Also, I'm going to try to restructure some things and offload some tasks to others so this place gets the attention it deserves. Basically what I'm trying to get at with my post is that I'm not around as much as I once was to take care of things.

HalfEatenPie

The Irrational One
Retired Staff
From talking with ya, you really seem to enjoy the change in environment and work.  Good on ya mate! 

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
Can't fault a guy for wanting to move ahead in life instead of treading water.

Job status and outsourcing various negatives are a real buzzkill.  DoC gigs tend not to be subject to outsourcing and a good amount of people providing the humans to supervise.  

Benefits?  Retirement? Career advancement?   Yeppers.   One of the few stable 'industries' in much of the US.

Congrats on moving ahead with life.

Tyler

That's really great to hear. This industry isn't for everyone and can certainly take a toll on anyone who has spent a year or more here in a serious capacity. I sold my company a few months ago and haven't looked back. It's important to do things in life that you're passionate about, and enjoying your job is part of it.

I've taken a few classes on criminology (fascinating stuff, by the way) and can't wait to hear some good inmate stories :)
Cheers

amuck-landowner