amuck-landowner

Application performance on VPS

azzamqazi

Hi,

Need some help here.

I have a custom php application which interacts with MYSQL frequently doing inserts and selects and which is hosted by a VPS.

It seems like the application is running slow.

I would like to find out if it is because of the VPS.

Any ideas how i should rule out VPS from the equation?

My VPS has the following specs:

30 Domains Hosted

60GB Disk Storage

1GB RAM

Unlimited POP emails

10Mbps Bandwidth (Burstible)

1 Unique IP Addresses

Parallel Plesk Platform Control Panel

Webmail

Thanks

AlbaHost

Verified Provider
10Mbps? Maybe its better to go with higher plan, another one is you should check mysql query/connections btw you are good if your vps handle 30 hosted sites on 1GB ram and 10Mbps at all lucky you :)

Last edited by a moderator:

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
Lots of variables and nearly impossible to debug cause of issues.  Container could be resource limited on use or the server itself could be piled with other folks activity.

You could get a cheap dedicated server and setup a test / copy of this and see how that performs on actual lowly hard (i.e. 1 drive, limited RAM, etc.).

Compare dedi results to the VPS.  

I keep physical boxes for this sort of testing. If you are serious / this is your business, probably what you should be running things on anyways.

DomainBop

Dormant VPSB Pathogen
Parallel Plesk Platform Control Panel

^^ ick :p

30 domains hosted + plesk and mysql and webmail (which means spam filtering) on 1GB RAM...my first guess would be not enough RAM

I would like to find out if it is because of the VPS.

Any ideas how i should rule out VPS from the equation?

for starters, what are the results of "free -m" and what is the "%iowait" and "%steal" ("yum (or apt-get) install sysstat" and then look at "iostat" results or "sar 1 1" if its OVZ) and server load (get the stats from "uptime")?

Last edited by a moderator:
amuck-landowner