The Irrational One
Retired Staff
Seems Raspberry Pi 3 is now launched!

Source: https://www.raspberrypi.org/blog/raspberry-pi-3-on-sale/

Basically, the raspberry Pi 3 will contain:

- a 1.2 GHz 64-bit quad core ARM Cortex-A53 CPU
- Integrated 802.11n WiFi and Bluetooth 4.1
- 1 GB RAM

Still no 1 Gbit ethernet port, however when asked about it and USB3 to the staff, they mentioned "there are alternatives if you need those facilities."  

Personally, I'm waiting on my Pine64+ 2GB which comes with Gbit ethernet port and some pretty awesome features.  However, having a built-in WiFi and Bluetooth wouldn't be that bad too.

What do you think?

MannDude

Just a dude
vpsBoard Founder
Ohhh, the Pine64 looks great! Haven't seen that one before. So many different ARM devices out now since the RaspberryPi has been so popular that it's hard to keep track of all the alternatives.

The RPI3 certainly seems nice, I agree that USB3 would be great or faster ethernet port. What is the limiting factor on having those included on something in that small form factor? Cost? Complexity of the hardware/circuity in such a small size?

wlanboy

Content Contributer
My current fav: ODROID-XU4
http://www.hardkernel.com/main/products/prdt_info.php?g_code=G143452239825

• Samsung Exynos5422 Cortex™-A15 2Ghz and Cortex™-A7 Octa core CPUs
  • Mali-T628 MP6(OpenGL ES 3.0/2.0/1.1 and OpenCL 1.1 Full profile)
  • 2Gbyte LPDDR3 RAM PoP stacked
  • 2 x USB 3.0 Host, 1 x USB 2.0 Host
  • Gigabit Ethernet port
  • HDMI 1.4a for display

One of the ARM boards with an extra USB 3 Hub controller. ARM itself is only supporting generic USB core with USB 1.1 and 2.0.

willie

Odroid C2 also looks good to me.  A little slower than the XU4, but is fanless, has 64 bit cpu, has 4k video, has most of the XU4's other good stuff like gigabit ethernet, and is a lot cheaper than the XU4.

TheLinuxBug

Anyone know one with a proper SATA port? 

The only SoC's I know that have a true SATA port will be ones created by Marvell (which I believe were links to in a past thread) which are often a lot more expensive (~$100+) but have true SATA and supposedly performance is even better than the A20 because of their chipset.  The other option is anything with the Allwinner A20  SoC as the A20 included SATA.  However, the SATA on A20 is still a bit limited as its still bound to the chips processing speed, so you get about 45M/sec write by about 100-120M/sec read at max.

All other SoC's that show they have SATA, like the Orange Pi for example, are not true SATA it is simply a SATA to USB adapter that is on board and ties into the USB hub.  As such, the performance is restricted to the speed of USB 2.0 which is 30M/sec. 

One of the reasons they started adding USB 3.0 was to allow more throughput for storage devices, so you will probably get much better performance out of say the Odroid stuff using USB 3.0 than boards still only supporting USB 2.0.

Hopefully this helps answer your question.

Cheers!

HalfEatenPie

The Irrational One
Retired Staff
Thanks mates!

I Guess what I was brainstorming for a bit there was maybe thinking about using an ARM device as a cheap (and energy efficient) way of setting up a storage server at home.  

I guess at the current level, there isn't much available to setup a proper storage node besides going the atom + hdd route. 

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
SATA?  Cubieboards are your friend.  Orange Pi, some models have SATA.

The Raspberry Pi 3 turns out is indeed 64-bit.  GPU supposedly with some limited codec is way faster.

The wifi / bluetooth chip bundle allegedly breaks out communications and the NIC supposedly isn't on the same shared bus as USB.  That plagued prior versions and resulted in lousy throughput.

Anyone ordered a RPi 3 from a seller in the States?  Looking for a vendor here.

willie

They are on the Adafruit and Element14 sites but not currently in stock.  Element14 is accepting preorders and predicting delivery in late March.  Adafruit more realistically doesn't make predictions but you can enter your email address and they notify you when some are available.

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
They are on the Adafruit and Element14 sites but not currently in stock.  Element14 is accepting preorders and predicting delivery in late March.  Adafruit more realistically doesn't make predictions but you can enter your email address and they notify you when some are available.

I noticed that.  Did either company actually have stock prior and sold out?  Or are they all doing pre-orders? Argg....  Hate the little dance on inventory with the RPi launches.

In other related news, Microsoft is selling the RPi 3... No joke... Have to wait a month though:

http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msusa/en_US/pdp/productID.334851400

willie

I don't think the US sellers have had any stock yet, but there are some UK shops that have them.  There is a Hackaday article claiming there was a big manufacturing run before the announcement so there will be a decent supply coming out of the gate, unlike the pi0 which sold out almost immeditely and is awaiting more manufacturing.

The pi3 frankly doesn't excite me that much--the Odroids seems like better boards, especially if you don't need the wireless.  I'm also unsure of the value of a 64 bit instruction set with just 1gb or 2gb of memory.

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
I don't think the US sellers have had any stock yet, but there are some UK shops that have them.  There is a Hackaday article claiming there was a big manufacturing run before the announcement so there will be a decent supply coming out of the gate, unlike the pi0 which sold out almost immeditely and is awaiting more manufacturing.

The pi3 frankly doesn't excite me that much--the Odroids seems like better boards, especially if you don't need the wireless.  I'm also unsure of the value of a 64 bit instruction set with just 1gb or 2gb of memory.

I feel the same way.  I like the Odroids.   

Community is superior and stack of software for the Pi devices is better though (so far).

I want an Odroid XU4.. but need to find one somewhere.

The Odroid C2 just was announced and shipping now or in next few days:
http://ameridroid.com/products/odroid-c2

It is 64 bit also.. more RAM also... Costs just a bit more:

* Amlogic ARM® Cortex®-A53(ARMv8) 2Ghz quad core CPUs * Mali™-450 GPU (3 Pixel-processors + 2 Vertex shader processors)* 2Gbyte DDR3 SDRAM* Gigabit Ethernet* HDMI 2.0 4K/60Hz display* H.265 4K/60FPS and H.264 4K/30FPS capable VPU* 40pin GPIOs + 7pin I2S* eMMC5.0 HS400 Flash Storage slot / UHS-1 SDR50 MicroSD Card slot* USB 2.0 Host x 4, USB OTG x 1 (power + data capable)* Infrared(IR) Receiver* Ubuntu 16.04 or Android 5.1 Lollipop based on Kernel 3.14LTS
$40

KuJoe

Verified Provider
One thing I was reading was the RPi3 requires more power than the older versions which I'm not a fan of. The new power requirement means it has to be plugged into a wall and a PC USB port won't cut it anymore. :(

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
One thing I was reading was the RPi3 requires more power than the older versions which I'm not a fan of. The new power requirement means it has to be plugged into a wall and a PC USB port won't cut it anymore. :(

Actually the 2A power supply should work fine. 

They bumped up the onboard power capacity to support 2.5A to accommodate more power hungry devices you just couldn't run before.

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
I read that the 2.5 amp was required, must have misread.

In fairness, the Pi folks and their media on new product has been a bit sloppy.   64-bit part isn't strong in product details, overlooked by many media outlets.

2.5A feature is indeed a feature.  Should have been really clear, surely wasn't.  Purely there to handle more USB devices tethered to such and/or more power hungry ones, but not necessary

If I wouldn't have gone and read all over I would have missed the new features of the Pi 3.

amuck-landowner