amuck-landowner

Scaleway Cloud Launches x86-64 C2 Servers: Dedicated Avoton C2550 and C2750

DomainBop

Dormant VPSB Pathogen
Scaleway added x86_64 dedicated Avoton's to their cloud mix today.  All offerings are dedicated bare metal servers with unlimited transfer,  LSSD storage (the €23.99 offering also includes 250GB DSSD storage)

new offerings:

€11.99month
Avoton C2550
4 Dedicated x64 Cores
8GB Memory
50GB SSD Disk 
1 Flexible public IPv4
300Mbit/s Internet bandwidth
2.5Gbit/s Internal bandwidth

€17.99month
Avoton C2750
8 Dedicated x64 Cores
16GB Memory
50GB SSD Disk 
1 Flexible public IPv4
500Mbit/s Internet bandwidth
5Gbit/s Internal bandwidth

€23.99month
Avoton C2750
8 Dedicated x64 Cores
32GB Memory
50GB SSD Disk
250GB Direct SSD Disk
1 Flexible public IPv4
800Mbit/s Internet bandwidth
5Gbit/s Internal bandwidth

blog announcement: https://blog.scaleway.com/2016/03/08/c2-insanely-affordable-x64-servers/

Last edited by a moderator:

willie

I'm surprised it turns out to be an Avoton and that it's an x86 at all... I guess it's an attractive offer in line with Kimsufi and the cheap Online.net and Hetzner dedis, especially with the hourly billing, but if they're going x86 I'd have hoped for some faster cpus like the new low power Xeons.  And the VPS offer isn't even that great, compared with OVH.  Oh well.

Added: fwiw, I think the 32GB config is the most attractive one, because of the local disk besides the extra ram.  I also saw something about ipv6 being available for these servers, but haven't confirmed.

DomainBop

Dormant VPSB Pathogen
 And the VPS offer isn't even that great, compared with OVH. 

For the 2.99 offerings: Scaleway's 2 (Avoton) cores are dedicated, OVH's 1 (E5) core is shared.  UnixBench is about the same (1500-1600), both are KVM,  Scaleway comes with 50GB network drive and 200 Mbps, OVH is 10GB local drive and 100 Mbps.  

CPU power on this new VPS offering is about double their existing 4-core ARM server.

I was hoping to see a 64-bit ARM offering but their new Avaton offers are attractive.

Reactions: fm7

willie

I don't see any claim in the Scaleway blog post that the VPS cores are dedicated, and that doesn't fit the hardware picture we've seen.  The vps is on a c2750 which has 8 cores, so if the cores are dedicated there are 4 vps per box, and since the vps has 2gb of ram that means there's 8gb of ram in the box.  But the c2750 boxes we've heard about have 16gb or 32gb of ram, and in fact the ones with LSSD available as bare metal all have 32gb of ram.

If the VPS are on the same servers (c2750, 32gb ram, 200gb LSSD) then if the ram is not oversold then there's 15 or 16 vps per box, making the cpu and disk definitely oversold (note the Avaton vps is supposed to have local rather than network storage).  The blog posts also says the VPS are for light usage, testing etc.  Certainly, the 1x OVH E5 core is faster than 2x Avaton cores when sharing is not taken into account. I'd expect the typical situation where you can get close to 100% cpu on either box, but for limited bursts of computation.  That works ok for many things.  If you need more, get a dedi.

As for total throughput: if you get 2x Avoton cores at 1/16 load, that's 1/8 of an Avoton core (though you can probably use more than that if your neighbors don't compute much).  That's about 1/32 of an E3 core (maybe 1/20th of the cheaper OVH E5 core).  By comparison the four ARM cores in the C1 are comparable to maybe 1/2 of an E3 core, so you get much more compute power from a C1 than the C2 VPS if your load parallelizes and is 24/7.

Interestingly, the C1, C2M dedi, and midrange Hetzner auction servers (i7-3770) are all on a comparable footing in CPU per dollar, with Scaleway's hourly billing being nicer for short term uses.  I plan to snag a C2M or C2L (if any are still available) and run some benchmarks soon.

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
Still invite only?

Where did the ARM units go?  oh I see them nested on interior page.... 

I like the new faster NICs with much more throughput.  Good for those of us with multiple servers working together in same facility.

See they have monkeyed with their upstreams, is the internet still not so good for Scaleway?

graeme

I agree with @willie that the €24/32GB config is the most attractive. More for your money that the nearest OVH VPSs (Cloud VPS3, SP-30 or EG-7) except that the OVH cloud VPSs all give you triple redundant Ceph storage. Are OVH also not supposed to have a better network?

Incidentally, is there an appropriate forum here to ask for opinions on how hosts compare, or is that more of a WHT thing?

willie

Scaleway internet seems reasonably ok to me.  If there's a C1 benchmark you want, I can run it, I've had a C1 for a few months.  I might get a C2 to test but probably won't hold onto it since the last thing I need is another x86 box.  I can request an invite code for you using the member page if you want, but I don't know if that's better than using the public request form.

Amney

Здравствуйте!

Может кто-нибудь поделиться приглашение?

willie

Amney, per Google Translate I think you're asking for an invite.  I can't send out any directly but I can ask Scaleway to send you one.  PM me your email address and I'll put it into their request form.  I don't know how long it takes to actually get an invite.  I think the LET thread said they might re-open it to the public in April.

Amney

Amney, per Google Translate I think you're asking for an invite.  I can't send out any directly but I can ask Scaleway to send you one.  PM me your email address and I'll put it into their request form.  I don't know how long it takes to actually get an invite.  I think the LET thread said they might re-open it to the public in April.

I heard that this will probably be in April.
I've registered your current mailboxes. )))

willie

Any tried these new Scaleway boxes yet?

There are some benchmarks over on LET.  The C2750 per cpubenchmark.net is around 3800 Passmark, so a bit less than half the speed of a current E3 or i7 or comparable to a dual core i3, not too bad but not a cpu monster.  The dual 2.5gbps network interface might make cluster computing with it better.  It will be interesting if they use a really fast cpu in the c3.  Is there something in particular you'd like to try on the c2?

mikeyur

Verified Provider
Still invite only?

I have invites if you want one, just PM me your email.

Any tried these new Scaleway boxes yet?

Just played with the VPS and just spun up the C2L server to play with it. It's an Atom C2750, so not much surprise there speed-wise.

I think the VPS is the best deal, it's 2x dedicated C2750 cores + 50GB SSD + 200Mbps unmetered (on gigabit port) for $3.25/mo. $1.10 per 50GB you add, up to 150GB in a single volume.

willie

I don't think the vps cores are dedicated--see my post from 4:56pm Tuesday.  It is indeed a good deal though, if you just want a cheap x86 vps with good memory and network resources.  I'm mostly after raw cpu power when it comes to products like this, but maybe I'm not typical.  So I prefer the c1 dedi to the c2 VPS, which costs the same although the c1 is ARM and its disk is networked rather than local.  I think the C1 disk is always in the same rack as the cpu though.

How did you get invite codes?  I don't need one (already have a Scaleway account) but I only remember seeing a web form to ask for a code to be sent to someone in FIFO order.

mikeyur

Verified Provider
I don't think the vps cores are dedicated--see my post from 4:56pm Tuesday.  It is indeed a good deal though, if you just want a cheap x86 vps with good memory and network resources.  I'm mostly after raw cpu power when it comes to products like this, but maybe I'm not typical.  So I prefer the c1 dedi to the c2 VPS, which costs the same although the c1 is ARM and its disk is networked rather than local.  I think the C1 disk is always in the same rack as the cpu though.

How did you get invite codes?  I don't need one (already have a Scaleway account) but I only remember seeing a web form to ask for a code to be sent to someone in FIFO order.

Ah, I just assumed they were running with the 'dedicated core' thing. Also it's not local storage, it's the network drive. LSSD is confusing as it can be interpreted as 'local' - but it's their network storage, the local disks are "Direct SSD". Perhaps they have a bunch of the C2750's racked with 8-10GB ram?

I don't have invite codes, just the 'request' form which I thought was direct invites but just re-read the description.

willie

Oh I got confused and thought LSSD was local SSD.  Thanks for clarifying.  If it's the networked drive, that suggests they're using the 16GB boxes so the amount of CPU overcommit isn't as much.  It would be weird for them to build a different server config with less ram for the sake of those VPS's.

Also my cpu calculation in the earlier post was wrong: if there's 16 vps on the 8-core box then you get 2 cores at 1/4 load, not 1/16, so equivalent to 50% of a core.  If there's 8 vps on the box then each vps gets equivalent to a full core, which is maybe 2x the compute power of a C1, not bad.  There's a trick someone mentioned on the Scaleway forum, which is that if you spin up a C1 instance through the API instead of the web interface, you can get a logical disk as small as 1GB(?) instead of 50GB.  So if you don't need an internet connection (i.e. access through another C1 over the Scaleway LAN) and you don't need much disk space, you can possibly get a C1 compute board for just over 1 euro per month.  Maybe that works with the VPS as well.

Omar

Здравствуйте!

Может кто-нибудь поделиться приглашение?

Здрасте!

Каково ваше электронная почта? (Hopefully non-English content is allowed here!)

willie

If you post in english, more of us will be able to read it :).

If you want someone's email it's preferable to ask them by PM.

fm7

Scaleway VPS (hourly billing)

3€/month KVM 2 vCPU 2GB RAM 50GB LSSD 1 IPv4 200Mbit unmetered

BYTE UNIX Benchmarks (Version 5.1.3)

CPU 0: Intel(R) Atom(TM) CPU C2750 @ 2.40GHz
   CPU 1: Intel(R) Atom(TM) CPU C2750 @ 2.40GHz

Benchmark Run: Tue Mar 08 2016 20:11:04 - 20:31:43
2 CPUs in system; running 1 parallel copy of tests                                                 
System Benchmarks Index Score (Partial Only)  627.4

Benchmark Run: Tue Mar 08 2016 20:31:43 - 20:52:25
2 CPUs in system; running 2 parallel copies of tests
System Benchmarks Index Score (Partial Only) 1207.7

:~# dd if=/dev/zero of=test bs=64k count=16k conv=fdatasync
16384+0 records in
16384+0 records out
1073741824 bytes (1.1 GB) copied, 6.39253 s, 168 MB/s

fm7

OVH VPS 2016 SSD 1 (flat-rate)

3€ VPS KVM OpenStack 1 vCPU 2GB RAM 10GB SSD 100Mbit unmetered

BYTE UNIX Benchmarks (Version 5.1.3)

CPU 0: Intel Xeon E312xx (Sandy Bridge) (4788.9 bogomips)

Benchmark Run: Thu Feb 18 2016 17:23:52 - 17:44:44
        1 CPU in system; running 1 parallel copy of tests
        System Benchmarks Index Score (Partial Only)  529.6

:~# dd if=/dev/zero of=test bs=64k count=16k conv=fdatasync
16384+0 records in
16384+0 records out
1073741824 bytes (1.1 GB) copied, 6.06531 s, 177 MB/s

amuck-landowner