• Announcements

• MannDude

Current state of vpsBoard   02/04/2017

Dear vpsBoard members and guests:

Over the last year or two vpsBoard activity and traffic has dwindled. I have had a change of career and interests, and as such am no longer an active member of the web hosting industry.

Due to time constraints and new interests I no longer wish to continue to maintain vpsBoard. The web site will remain only as an archive to preserve and showcase some of the great material, guides, and industry news that has been generated by members, some of which I remain in contact to this very day and now regard as personal friends.

I want to thank all of our members who helped make vpsBoard the fastest growing industry forum. In it's prime it was an active and ripe source of activity, news, guides and just general off-topic banter and fun.

I wish all members and guests the very best, whether it be with your business or your personal projects.

-MannDude
JOReilly

URGNT: Upload Service Needed

4 posts in this topic

Hello All,

We have a client who is a production company and they regularly shoot footage and upload it back to their HQ in New York. I am looking for a company near Columbus Ohio that is willing to allow their production manager to hop on a decently fast internet connection and upload their footage. Typically when we work with this client we let them into our datacenter facility and they have internet access on our datacenter floor at a crash station. Don't need anything fancy at all. 

If anyone is willing to help out please let me know. Send me a PM with pricing or I can send over my phone number and we can chat.

Thanks,

Justin

5 minutes ago, drmike said:

Long shot here, but have your guy / you contact co-working places in Columbus.  Those are rent a desk places.   Bound to find one with good bandwidth and spend the day fee or maybe less:

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=columbus+ohio+coworking

Thank you,

I will start looking into these as well. I have not heard of them before.

4 minutes ago, JOReilly said:

Thank you,

I will start looking into these as well. I have not heard of them before.

Co-working is all over the place.. any major metro has a bunch.

Usually big rooms with bunches of people working at desks, entrepreneurs.. Some have suites...  They are beehives of activity.  Neat places to look at if you haven't before.

Tend to be cheaper than market rates for leasing a real office also and you have the perceived benefit of others around you may want to collaborate with.

• Similar Content

• By HalfEatenPie
      Alright folks!

So I thought might as well ask...  What does everyone do that uses up bandwidth?

The biggest offenders for me are mostly scientific data (previously) downloading and streaming netflix.  In terms of my Dedicated servers and VPSes, probably just routine backups and storage, although recently a few gameservers I've started running are guzzling up bandwidth.  

But I average around 300 GB of bandwidth at home, and a max of 500 GB during peak months (downloading linux ISOs while reformatting desktops and whatnot).  Anyone do anything interesting with their bandwidth?  I mean I bet a decent amount of people torrent and run tor exit nodes/tor relays, but I've never seen anything else that's really bandwidth intensive.  
    • By chaseict99
      Hello,
      I have a new video sharing site that will be hosting a growing number of users. I would like to ask for suggestions as to the most stable and cost effective way to begin (i.e. dedicated vs VPN) which will allow for smooth rapid uploads, viewing and an ever increasing number of users. What specific metrics do I need to focus on and what companies offer the most reliable service, decent customer support, and affordable storage and bandwidth? If I forgo customer support, is Amazon an option ?
      Tnx 
    • By HalfEatenPie
      So...  This may or may not look a bit sketchy, I totally understand (and it's totally reasonable to think of it as such).  

But my network right now (in Asia) is absolutely annoying internationally.  Recently (thanks to @TheLinuxBug) I've found some pretty interesting things about my own networking and I'd like to setup a proxy server that has the beginning point in one of my servers and the end-point as the last server.

E.g.

Me -> Japan -> LA -> Endpoint

What's the easiest way to do this?  My assumption was to setup multiple squid proxies or something But...  Yeah.... 

Any ideas?  
    • By k0nsl
      Well, as the topic title says: how much bandwidth do you use per day? This is with regard to your own home usage, day to day surfing. Your personal usage at home.

It's barely evening and this is what I've consumed by merely browsing:

Quite, moderate!

What's your usage?
    • By drmike
      If you are like most of us, rsync is a tool you use far too much.

One issue I run into from time to time is rsync saturating a connection and reducing performance of a network for users (high CPU load).

Rsync has a built in CLI switch for regulating  bandwidth usage:

--bwlimit=5000
      Appending that to your current rsync command should limit you to 5MB of throughput on the file transfer.

Typically something like this:
      rsync --bwlimit=5000  [rest of CLI command]