amuck-landowner

GoDaddy Launches AWS-style Servers

HalfEatenPie

The Irrational One
Retired Staff
Article: http://techcrunch.com/2016/03/21/godaddy-debuts-aws-style-servers-and-apps-to-build-test-and-scale-cloud-services

Excerpt:

GoDaddy, the web hosting and domain registration company that went public last year, is adding new cloud services to grow the revenues it makes from the 14 million small businesses that make up the majority of its customer base. Today it’s taking the wraps off Cloud Servers and Cloud Applications — Amazon-style features that will let companies build, test and scale cloud solutions on GoDaddy’s infrastructure...

eff King, SVP and GM of Hosting and Security, says GoDaddy is entering the market aiming not at high-end app makers but smaller businesses that are making the move to cloud services. Pricing is built around a “pay as you go” model, and it starts at $5/month the 20GB option (working out to $0.01/hour), for 512MB of memory, 1 core processor, 20MB SSD disk and 1TB of transfer, through to the 80GB option, which is capped at $80/month (or $0.12/hour) for 8GB of memory, 4 core processor, 80GB SSD disk and 8TB of transfers.

So... any comments? Literally seems like they're gonna try and compete with DigitalOcean.  I've had terrible experiences with GoDaddy before so I'd be highly skeptical of it, but if they can get a proper AWS setup going then it might be worth looking into.  Although I think it's just OpenStack with KVM...  

Last edited by a moderator:
amuck-landowner