amuck-landowner

cheap vps near San Francisco

willie

Looking for cheap VPS physically close to San Francisco, the closer the better but no more than 50 miles.  That means San Jose, Fremont, Santa Rosa, are ok but LA is too far so don't suggest it.  Low resources are fine: 64MB ram, 2GB disk, traffic will usually be under 10GB/month but might be 20-50GB on occasion.  Ipv6 would be useful.  Some kind of ipv4 access is required, but if v6 is available then it is ok if the v4 access is NAT or shared, lowendspirit style.  EGI had a $25/year KVM plan in San Jose a while back, but I'd prefer cheaper (like $10/year or less) and anyway I think they have discontinued it.

willie

Thanks, yeah, 10/yr was optimistic, 20 isn't too bad, and 25/year for KVM is almost reasonable.  I had forgotten EGI's vps brand was edgevm so looked at their old page at egihosting.com.  Glad they're still around.

willie

Yeah, DO is a possibility ($5/mo but hourly billing so I could spin it up and down as needed).  But when I tried to sign up with them they asked me to send a selfie photo of myself holding my passport.  I told them that was too invasive and didn't go through with the signup.

TheLinuxBug

Thanks, yeah, 10/yr was optimistic, 20 isn't too bad, and 25/year for KVM is almost reasonable.  I had forgotten EGI's vps brand was edgevm so looked at their old page at egihosting.com.  Glad they're still around.

LOL, my Favorite is that EdgeVM still advertises they have 3 locations, however, more than 6 months ago they discontinued selling servers in NY and shut everything down.  For some reason they refuse to update their web page or their WHT sales pitch to reflect this and continue to advertise it like its an option.  Up until recently they were even still advertising that 3 locations for one cost package, while not having a third location.

Honestly, EdgeVM at this point is mostly a ghost operation anyways from my experience.

Cheers!

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
I remember EdgeVM, they were the ones that ripped BuyVM's pricing and thought they'd out hustle for that customer base :)

Honestly, EdgeVM at this point is mostly a ghost operation anyways from my experience.

And another one falls.  Toss it on the list of wannabes that couldn't make it work, do the numbers, show up and put up knowledge.  Funny how this stuff takes knowledge, commitment and work ethic. 

willie

Heh, I didn't realize that stuff about Edge.

One I forgot is prgmr.com (Santa Clara) which is now priced competitively with DO, Linode, etc. though not hourly billing.  A bit too high-end for the minimal thing I want at the moment, but I'll certainly consider them if I need a more serious VPS for something around here.

ZenithHosting

$5/Month 

www.zenith-hosting.com

Open a support ticket with requirements and we can make that happen :)

Skype. Zenith.hosting

amuck-landowner