amuck-landowner

UDOO X86 - powerfull Raspberry Pi alternative

willie

I think it would be better to say in the title that this is a kickstarter rather than an available product.

Looking at the cpu specs I think "10x more powerful than raspberry pi 3" is an overclaim.  2x-3x is more realistic, same range as an Odroid XU4.  I also don't see what makes the board interesting: it's a PC with an arduino stapled to it, what's the big deal?  They show it being used as a media center and game machine, which is fine, but those are PC programs and the arduino part doesn't really come into it.  If you want a PC, just buy one :).

wlanboy

Content Contributer
I also don't see what makes the board interesting: it's a PC with an arduino stapled to it, what's the big deal?

It is an Arduino with a 64-bit x86 cpu.

The Arduino part is running all the time and can wakeup and stop the Quadcore cpu. Like the Arduino Yun but way more useable.

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
Man that's a nice spec on the Odoo..

Gbit + SATA + x86/x64 Intel + 4GB of RAM support + eMMC and related other storage slots.

This looks to be the board that will break things open for low power / small board as desktop.  At least for me it looks like it.

At < $100 it's priced decent under traditional desktop and still lowish power.  I can live with 6 watts all day long.  Lower would be great, but not much to work with :)

The accelerometer and sensors are interesting too.  Something different for tinkerers.

TheLinuxBug

Another Intel alternative that is already available and costs only $129.00 is the Gizmo 2 or their direct site here.

Gizmo_2.jpg

Features

• AMD G-Series SOC with AMD Radeon HD 8210E discrete-class graphics
  • 1GB DDR3-1600 SDRAM
  • HDMI Video/Audio Output
  • 85 GFLOPS performance
  • HD Audio In/Out via 3.5mm Connector
  • mSATA/mini PCIe Connector
  • microSD Card Slot
  • Onboard Gigabit Ethernet
  • USB 3.0 x 2 and USB 2.0 x 2 Connectors
  • AMD Debug Headerv
  • High-speed and Low-speed Special Features Card Edge Connectors
  • 4” x 4” Form Factor
  • Support for DirectX® 11.1, OpenGL 4.2x and OpenCL™ 1.2, enabling parallel processing and high-performance graphics processing
  • Supported operating systems include Windows Embedded 8 and Linux

To actually connect a SATA drive or port multiplier it looks like you would need one of these.

Not sure how this would compare with an Udoo though.  Would diffidently end up with less ram as this only support 1GB.

From my research it looks like it is only 2x1Ghz:

GX-210HA GE210HICJ23HM 2 (# of cores) 9W 1MB 1.0GHz 300MHz (HD 8210E) DDR3-1333 0-90°C

Cheers!

Last edited by a moderator:

TheLinuxBug

$129? How is this an alternative?

It is available right now... and I meant as an alternative to ARM boards which have been discussed here at length in several threads..

You will be waiting a bit for the Udoo, though it will obviously be more powerful.

Cheers!

Last edited by a moderator:

rds100

Verified Provider
First time I've noted those pcEngines boards :)

$109 and $122 USD for them.

Only glaring thing wrong with them is it appears to lack HDMI or any video out (or am I blind?).

They are designed to be used as small routers or similar, not for desktop.

HalfEatenPie

The Irrational One
Retired Staff
I really do want this right now.  Been looking back at it for a while. 

Like... What's the actual CPU in it? 

amuck-landowner