amuck-landowner

E3, E5, i7 in Atlanta or Southern/Eastern US

Nikki

I'm possibly looking to upgrade a dedicated server I have with QuickPacket (unfortunately, it's an awesome server, but L5520s are getting old!)

I'm looking at getting more of a current generation server if possible, depending on the price, etc.

Desired configuration:

E3-1230v3, E5v2/v3, Haswell/Devil's Canyon i7, or better

32GB Memory

2x2TB, 2x512GB SSD, or possibly 2 smaller SSDs and 2 HDDs (SSD is a "best case scenario", I know it'll raise the price a bit)

10 or 20TB on Gbit port with decent bandwidth providers (DDoS Protection not required, but again, a best case scenario)

/28 block of IPv4

Native IPv6 (not required)

It'll host a few gameservers, a personal webserver/website, and of course Paste.ee. Budget is going to be limited, but I'm not going to state it just to see what's out there. Current server is $62.99/m with a Dual L5520, 24GB, 2x1TB, 20TB, and a /29 + /28.

Keep in mind, the current server is entirely run off donations. If I can keep it that way, that'd be great, but if not, I'd be willing to pay a bit extra to get a better server.

Let me know if you have any offers, this isn't something set in stone as I'm still quite happy with the current server, but I'd like to see what I could get. You can also PM me if you don't wish to have the offer made public.

Last edited by a moderator:

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
I don't want to be that person, but if you are running a project funded by donations and it has decent appeal / use / traffic, most sensible hosts see value in that and should want to work with you at just a bit of profit (aka super deep discount).

That's a real decent  box for the price at Quickpacket.

With some of those newer processors you are going to have less cores (if that matters in your use).  But should have faster cores with ones you then have. (E3's notably).

Delimiter comes to mind, unsure if they have newer gen processors on the cheap though (other stuff is so barebones on price I still question their self punitive math).

Dacentec comes to mind for E3's, but they are up a good bit beyond your price point.  32GB of RAM is a hefty upgrade there also (+$30/mo).

Soyoustart can hit these numbers, but it's OVH (meh, know the devil you are dealing with if you go there) and you won't be in that regions in the US Southeast, but instead up in Montreal.  (see: http://www.soyoustart.com/us/essential-servers/).

You almost certainly will need to find a promotional offer to hit the numbers you want or even within 20% more.

Nikki

I don't want to be that person, but if you are running a project funded by donations and it has decent appeal / use / traffic, most sensible hosts see value in that and should want to work with you at just a bit of profit (aka super deep discount).

That's a real decent  box for the price at Quickpacket.

With some of those newer processors you are going to have less cores (if that matters in your use).  But should have faster cores with ones you then have. (E3's notably).

Delimiter comes to mind, unsure if they have newer gen processors on the cheap though (other stuff is so barebones on price I still question their self punitive math).

Dacentec comes to mind for E3's, but they are up a good bit beyond your price point.  32GB of RAM is a hefty upgrade there also (+$30/mo).

Soyoustart can hit these numbers, but it's OVH (meh, know the devil you are dealing with if you go there) and you won't be in that regions in the US Southeast, but instead up in Montreal.  (see: http://www.soyoustart.com/us/essential-servers/).

You almost certainly will need to find a promotional offer to hit the numbers you want or even within 20% more.

Right. Certainly is a good price, as it was a promo they had. The project is 99% funded by donations besides some initial money I had up for it, and that's not even paste.ee, as we don't accept donations directly, but we'll have a few new surprises coming up soon.

Pretty much, the main issue is location and all. I wouldn't mind a cheap high-clock lower memory machine just to run the gameservers, as long as I have a reliable and fast-ish main server with data redundancy (RAID 1 at least) and a good network. This also excludes Dacentec (they had an E3-1230v2 rent only for 65/m or something) due to their network recently. I did try them last July for a month, which ended up in moving everything back to QuickPacket due to network issues and ddos attacks.

Speaking of QuickPacket though, I already got a really good offer from them for the specs listed since yesterday, just don't have the time this second to move everything, so I figure I might as well get a few more offers/quotes while I wait.

amuck-landowner