amuck-landowner

Noob Windows Server Question

HH-Jake

Hey Guys,

So I am working on firing up windows VPS's, and I am hella confused with the windows license. Currently, I am running SolusVM with KVM Virtualization on a dedicated centOS server, which I know I can run windows VPS's (and successfully fired them up). This is where I get confused in order to run (unlimited) virtualization for windows I need a windows datacenter license. If I am using KVM virtualization how does this work? Can I simply apply the license to my dedicated server IP? Any help would be greatful

Last edited by a moderator:

wlanboy

Content Contributer
Windows Server licenses are assigned to the physical hosts, not to VMs.  A single Standard Edition license grants you the right to run up to two Windows Server VMs concurrently on a given host.

Operating system that was installed on the physical host does not matter. When running Xen Server or a Linux KVM, the same licensing requirements exist.  So if you assign a SE license to an host, you have the right to run up to two Windows Server VMs.

All done by Windows activation.

kunnu

Verified Provider
Agree with wlanboy.

I want to add more info so you can easily understand it.

If you want to host unlimited Windows VPS on server then "Windows Datacenter" license is best for you. You will be need to pay for each "Physical CPU" regardless of CPU core, If your server have a 2 Physical CPU then you will be need to purchase 2 x Windows Datacenter license for each server.

If you have a 2 server and each server have a 1 physical CPU then you will be need to purchase 2 DC license. If you have a 2 server and each server have a 2 CPU then you will be need to purchase 4 DC license.

CenTex Hosting

Verified Provider
Depending on who your dedicated server is with you could just lease the windows datacenter License from your host. 

This way you don't have to shell out the 5k plus for it.

You will have to lease the number of license based on the number of CPU the server has. So if it has one then you only need one. If it has 2 you only need 2, 4 you would need 4 and so on.

Really that is the best way to go.

jeff2600

Verified Provider
SPLA + Windows Datacenter

That's all you need. The Windows DC license will provide you with the necessary PIDs to activate your Windows based VMs.

MightWeb-Greg

Verified Provider
I agree with him it was best solution you will get your issue solve
If they're trying to license a VPS node then they have to get with a Microsoft Authorized provider of licenses such as Dell. They all have the same license cost from what I can tell.

amuck-landowner