• Announcements

• MannDude

Current state of vpsBoard   02/04/2017

Dear vpsBoard members and guests:

Over the last year or two vpsBoard activity and traffic has dwindled. I have had a change of career and interests, and as such am no longer an active member of the web hosting industry.

Due to time constraints and new interests I no longer wish to continue to maintain vpsBoard. The web site will remain only as an archive to preserve and showcase some of the great material, guides, and industry news that has been generated by members, some of which I remain in contact to this very day and now regard as personal friends.

I want to thank all of our members who helped make vpsBoard the fastest growing industry forum. In it's prime it was an active and ripe source of activity, news, guides and just general off-topic banter and fun.

I wish all members and guests the very best, whether it be with your business or your personal projects.

-MannDude
RombelIrk

Is VPS ok to host a game server?

Question

I would like to run a CounterStrike server on a VPS, is it okay or I should better think of a dedicated server for this purpose? Thank you.

17 answers to this question

I think this mostly depends of the provider, the cpu power and the "overselling ratio" if there is openvz/lxc in there :)

Wich provider did you think ? For see what they offer ?
(Oh, and look here, most game server need high single-thread power than multithread power https://www.cpubenchmark.net/singleThread.html )

it will truly depend upon the instance you will run of the VPS and resource required for the game you will run on the VPS. To be true dedicated server resource are always better over VPS for gaming applications.

I'm assuming you're talking about CSGO?

I used to run a medium network of CSGO servers.  There's a fairly in-depth approach to running an efficient CSGO server.

However, most of the time for average use I'd recommend a minimum of 2 CPU cores and 1 GB RAM.  Dedicated.  This is for a basic 10 man game server. 

Anything beyond that, you'll want more resources.  512MB RAM with 1 CPU core can work as well, however that's the "bare minimum" you'll need for a 10 man game server without a whole lot of NPC/bots.  

Depends on how big your game server is.

You also can get cheap dedis already at like $30 at places like QuadIX and such.

On 7/24/2016 at 5:22 PM, RombelIrk said:

I would like to run a CounterStrike server on a VPS, is it okay or I should better think of a dedicated server for this purpose? Thank you.

I agree with technowix here. It greatly depends on  provider, the cpu power and the "overselling ratio.

4 hours ago, Walnuthost said:

and the "overselling ratio.

I would prefer just invest in a proper VPS. This way I would not have to deal having to worry about being cheated of the resources I has paid for. Especially for gaming/serious business needs. 

depends on the size of gaming server, if it will to busy than highly recommend to get a dedicated server, please note some with game you will get DDOS attacks and not all providers will host your gaming server.

Most providers will host gaming servers, CPU speed is most important. 

The OS you use is also important. Windows Servers use more RAM then Linux based.

I would suggest you to check out for some affordable dedicated server. Now you get cheap dedicated packages at the same cost of VPS and with high configuration. check dedicated offers section. you can find some instant dedicated servers with many hosting features.

Completely agree with the suggestions others have given you. It really depends on the requiremens that must be met in order to run the game properly. If the requirements fall under what a VPS can cover then you can run the game but it would also be a good idea to invest in a dedicated server. Now a days you can find some very inexpensive options.

Depends upon the following factors

- Game Server Requirements

- How many users are present on a single VM node (Try not going for OpenVZ VPS's as they are easily oversold, KVM / XEN are good platforms)

- What kind of Node you are on. Many new providers are currently using E3-1230v1 ( This is a 6 year out dated CPU and to top it off they are using OpenVZ with it which isn't very much capable of proper resource allocation. )

it all honestly depends on what you intend to run how many players any additional plugins or mods for the game like everyone says here for a personal server you will easily be able to run on a vps but if its a big clan server for example then dedicated would be the best way to go it 100% falls down to what you require

VPS is not preferable as the hardware is shared among VPS clients and if anything wrong happened like resource use or so then you might get suspended, so it would be great to go with Dedicated Server

It is depend upon VPS configuration that are required for the game you want to run on VPS. I would suggest dedicated server resources are better than VPS configuration. Game would be run smoothly on dedicated server. 

In my experience Dedicated Hardware is always best for Gaming Server.

This also means that contention ratios are not an issue in peak times and you eliminate the chances of getting your resources throttled.

Gaming just sucks for most providers.  It can be high on resource abuse, and definitely gets lots of packet therapy (DDoS)..

Many VPS providers prohibit such servers on VPS.  You must read Terms of Service / similar before buying.

There are scores of cheap dedicated servers these days and probably best option.

Alternatively KVM virtualization can work so long as it isn't overloaded like average OpenVZ server and where company actually monitors the environment and deals with abuse proactively.

It depends on the vps server specs and what the software requires

generally a vps is cheaper than a dedicated server so if you can find a cheap vps with the proper specs

you will save money.

• Similar Content

• By OSTKCabal
      Ready2Frag operates as the gaming and performance VPS branch of HostVenom, LLC. and operates under a DBA of HostVenom, LLC. in New York.

We are proud to boast that we own our own hardware and IP space. All servers are colocated in our suite in downtown Chicago, IL. We utilize the Steadfast Networks 725 S. Wells facility, with GigeNET IP Transit on inbound traffic to provide DDoS Protection. Our network is powered by top-shelf Cisco and Juniper networking gear and features connectivity to at least five (5) global bandwidth providers combined with extensive peering to Chicago's largest internet exchanges. All data is route-optimized with redundant InterNAP FCP devices.

Minecraft Hosting

PRICE: $6 / GB RAM (512MB RAM -> 12GB RAM)

But wait! You can save more! Use these promotional codes when checking out to get a great start on your community!
      Use "heyvpsb" for 50% OFF your 1st month on any game server
      ...OR....
      Use "saveforever" to get 10% OFF your game server FOR LIFE!

Minecraft Features:
      Multicraft Control Panel Intel Xeon E3-1230v2 Processors 32GB DDR3 ECC RAM per Node Undersold to 80% RAM or less (CPU usage & I/O also considered) Samsung or Crucial SSDs in RAID-1 1Gbps Network Ports 4Gbps DDoS Protection Free Web Hosting (On Request) Free 10-Slot Mumble (On Request) Free 45 Days of Enjin Advanced Free 30 Days of Minetrend Lite ORDER YOUR MINECRAFT SERVER!

Source Hosting

PRICE: $0.95 / Slot

But wait! You can save more! Use these promotional codes when checking out to get a great start on your community!
      Use "heyvpsb" for 50% OFF your 1st month on any game server
      ...OR....
      Use "saveforever" to get 10% OFF your game server FOR LIFE!

Source Features:
      TCAdmin v2 Control Panel Intel Xeon E3-1230v2 Processors 16GB DDR3 ECC RAM per Node Undersold to 80% resource usage or less Western Digital RE4 HDDs in RAID-1 1Gbps Network Ports 4Gbps DDoS Protection Free Web Hosting (On Request) Free 10-Slot Mumble (On Request) Free 45 Days of Enjin Advanced ORDER YOUR SOURCE SERVER!

Rust Hosting

PRICE: $0.20 / Slot

Use "heyvpsb" for 50% OFF your 1st month on any game server
      ...OR....
      Use "saveforever" to get 10% OFF your game server FOR LIFE!

Rust Features:
      TCAdmin v2 Control Panel (No Web Console) Intel Xeon E3-1230v2 Processors 16GB DDR3 ECC RAM per Node Undersold to 80% resource usage or less Western Digital RE4 HDDs in RAID-1 1Gbps Network Ports 4Gbps DDoS Protection Free Web Hosting (On Request) Free 10-Slot Mumble (On Request) Free 45 Days of Enjin Advanced ORDER YOUR RUST SERVER!

• By GIANT_CRAB
      Yo, I need your input on an idea to revolutionize the video game industry:

A website/app/hub that’ll connect the entire gaming world together, so all gamers can easily play games with each other, by discovering which multiplayer matches are available for all video games. Rather than inserting a video game to see which multiplayer matches are available for it, users will simply be able to go to the hub, and choose a specific video game and check out which multiplayer matches are available for the video game.

Something as simple as this could dramatically increase the replay value of nearly all video games with online multiplayer, as simple awareness of available matches could get interested to play older games.

Goals:
      Work with XBL and PSN, so that every multiplayer game available will be automatically registered to the hub. Do something similar with PC games.

Create a system where it’ll show the most played games. Users can find out what are the total most played games online, or filter it by platform. This will also help users find out what older games are being played much easier.

work deals with major video game companies, to allow their older consoles be available for emulation on PC (people will legally purchase these), and establish a proper multiplayer network for those emulators. Online multiplayer for everybody’s old favorite games will attract a significant amount people, people who will use our site to see what multiplayer is available for all their old games, that they’ll easily play on their PC

Let users subscribe to updates (text message/email/social media alerts/etc) when preferred gametypes, maps, etc are available. Let the default mode of this be a brilliant system that won’t get users information overload by an annoying bombardment of text updates. Be influenced by apps for sports teams, and how they figured out how to update you in a way that wasn’t annoying.

Figure out a way to allow users to broadcast the match they’re in

I will need dedicated servers (preferably E7 servers) and cloud services from all over the world willing to invest into this.
      ROI will be high, PM me for more details.
    • By acd
      Looking for an SFF-8087 cable, found this instead.

Antediluvian IDE disk? I wonder what's on it. Fortunately, I found a Promise IDE host adapter with it, but alas, no cable.

What random computer bits do you have lying around you should have tossed long ago?
    • By concerto49
      I mean looking to play the game http://www.deadpoolgame.com/ :)