• Announcements

• MannDude

Current state of vpsBoard   02/04/2017

Dear vpsBoard members and guests:

Over the last year or two vpsBoard activity and traffic has dwindled. I have had a change of career and interests, and as such am no longer an active member of the web hosting industry.

Due to time constraints and new interests I no longer wish to continue to maintain vpsBoard. The web site will remain only as an archive to preserve and showcase some of the great material, guides, and industry news that has been generated by members, some of which I remain in contact to this very day and now regard as personal friends.

I want to thank all of our members who helped make vpsBoard the fastest growing industry forum. In it's prime it was an active and ripe source of activity, news, guides and just general off-topic banter and fun.

I wish all members and guests the very best, whether it be with your business or your personal projects.

-MannDude
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Big Boss

Unmanaged VPS

Question

hello vpsboard can you help me about my problem regarding my VPS ? I have a 1gb ram KVM VPS and the OS I have installed is a centOS 6.5 32bit  .

I want to access my VPS and browse internet using it what things do I need to install to have a desktop view on my VPS ? 

7 answers to this question

I have a 1gb ram KVM VPS and the OS I have installed is a centOS 6.5 32bit  .

If you only have 1GB I'd switch to Debian and install x2go with XFCE4 or LXDE desktop because the memory footprint is slightly lower than CentOS.

Debian x2go instructions: https://vpsboard.com/topic/4241-running-a-lightweight-gui-on-your-vps-via-x2go

CentOS x2go: http://wiki.x2go.org/doku.php/doc:installation:x2goserver

GNome would be a good idea if you want a desktop environment,

Recent versions of Gnome would be painful on a VPS with only 1GB RAM unless the OP is planning on using Lynx as his browser...

1 person likes this

There's multiple ways you can approach this.

1. Use the VPS as a VPN Node or a Proxy.  Route your traffic through the VPN from your primary desktop.

2. Install a desktop environment and VNC server and use that as a remote desktop solution

3. Use X2Go as a remote desktop solution.

4. Use X11 Server + Client to forward remote applications to your desktop (basically think of VNC except only on the application itself)

Pick your poison.  There are a ton of tutorials out there on vpsBoard and on other websites (Google is your best friend) on how to set any of these solutions up. 

1 person likes this

Install Gnome or using VPN connect from your PC

1 person likes this

Depending on latency, GNome would be a good idea if you want a desktop environment, but only if you have low latency otherwise there will be some lag. 

If you just want to 'hide your ip address' then VPN would probably be the best. Something like OpenVPN.

1 person likes this

Sorry for the late reply guys I'm very thankful for the answers anyways my VPS is down ATM so I can't do the things you all suggested. Thanks again more powers vpsboard .

I am with Scopehosts hosting services from past few months. They do provide best hosting services. I would suggest you to check their VPS Plans. 

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Similar Content

• By Lonesome.Zombie
      i have in stalled wordpress on centos 6.5 (64bit) and when i change permalink settings and click on any post it shows me an error page, i have updated .htaccess file and curl is enabled on my vps but still cant igure out what is the actual problem. its a fresh installation please someone help me to solve this issue.
    • By Big Boss
      hello vpsboard may I ask if how can this be true? https://lowendbox.com/blog/yes-you-can-run-18-static-sites-on-a-64mb-link-1-vps/ and I inspect the site and he is using Xen 64mb dedicated ram . Does it mean my VPS with 512mb ram (KVM) is having more ram than what he have on the article? is dedicated ram more powerful than just a ram ?
    • By drmike
      I know CentOS is the OS of choice for many web hosts and I assume some of them use it otherwise day to day.
      CentOS has released a new version with ARM support:

Source: http://news.softpedia.com/news/centos-7-linux-officially-released-for-raspberry-pi-2-banana-pi-and-cubietruck-497891.shtml
    • By eva2000
      I mainly use Android devices so had setup my own local Brisbane & Sydney and US based CentOS OpenVPN VPN VPS servers to connect to. However, I'm wanting to extend VPN coverage to Windows 8.1 phone devices too and they prefer L2TP. So I've setup a CentOS 7 server (running Centmin Mod of course) with L2TP Ipsec and it works okay with Android 4.2 and 5.x devices via native VPN features.
      But there's no auto reconnect features with native Android VPN as opposed to the OpenVPN client I was using. So my question to folks here using L2TP IPSec for Android and Windows 8.1 phone, what VPN clients are you using which support auto reconnect and saving multiple VPN server profiles ?
      cheers
      George

• By eva2000
      Since a few members here are using my Centmin Mod LEMP web stack for their servers, just a heads up I just switched my centminmod.com domain's DNS over to the new server cluster which sports the new centminmod.com web site design.
      Also Centmin Mod 1.2.3-eva2000.08 stable release is here - well official release date is July 31st, 2015 which would be about right once DNS updates worldwide. This new release has been in development for past 12+ months, so I am glad to have it released now. You can check outs what's new here or on the new site if DNS has propagated in your neck of the woods.
      For folks who don't like reading, the quickest way to install Centmin Mod is now via one liner command

curl -sL http://centminmod.com/installer.sh | bash However, there's other methods outlined here as well Download New method of adding Nginx domain via command line too via /usr/bin/nv as outlined here Nginx Vhost & NSD DNS Setup To create a new site domain Nginx vhost account for newdomain.com with self-signed SSL enabled and Pure-FTPD virtual FTP username = MYFTPUSERNAME, type the following in SSH command line. /usr/bin/nv -d newdomain.com -s y -u MYFTPUSERNAME So essentially to install Centmin Mod LEMP and setup newdomain.com in Nginx vhost, you only need 2 commands in SSH as root user on a fresh CentOS 6 or 7 based OS server. curl -sL http://centminmod.com/installer.sh | bash /usr/bin/nv -d newdomain.com -s y -u MYFTPUSERNAME or one line when you combine them :) curl -sL http://centminmod.com/installer.sh | bash; /usr/bin/nv -d newdomain.com -s y -u MYFTPUSERNAME Then bookmark and read the Getting Started Guide :D