• Announcements

• MannDude

Current state of vpsBoard   02/04/2017

Dear vpsBoard members and guests:

Over the last year or two vpsBoard activity and traffic has dwindled. I have had a change of career and interests, and as such am no longer an active member of the web hosting industry.

Due to time constraints and new interests I no longer wish to continue to maintain vpsBoard. The web site will remain only as an archive to preserve and showcase some of the great material, guides, and industry news that has been generated by members, some of which I remain in contact to this very day and now regard as personal friends.

I want to thank all of our members who helped make vpsBoard the fastest growing industry forum. In it's prime it was an active and ripe source of activity, news, guides and just general off-topic banter and fun.

I wish all members and guests the very best, whether it be with your business or your personal projects.

-MannDude
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Big Boss

Dedicated Ram

Question

7 answers to this question

3 minutes ago, Big Boss said:

hello vpsboard may I ask if how can this be true? https://lowendbox.com/blog/yes-you-can-run-18-static-sites-on-a-64mb-link-1-vps/ and I inspect the site and he is using Xen 64mb dedicated ram . Does it mean my VPS with 512mb ram (KVM) is having more ram than what he have on the article? is dedicated ram more powerful than just a ram ?

There are three "types" of RAM with VPS allocations.  

Dedicated RAM is JUST that, RAM that you can use whenever/however you like. A VPS containing 1GB of dedicated RAM means you can have up to 1GB of usage with no "slow down" (assuming you're not trying to use more RAM, CPU is fine, and etc) 

Burstable RAM is a "grey" area of RAM allocation as it hard to estimate just how much of this is at your "disposal". BASICALLY the VPS provider set up a separate "pool"  of RAM just for this purpose. Then whenever the machine is underloaded this pool may be "drained" by ALL the VPSes on it. BUT not only it is shared among other VPSes you will also be limited by it. For example a VPS that have 1GB RAM and 2GB Burstable means you have 1GB "rain or shine" and 2GB "at best". 

The last one is not located at RAM at all but somewhat confused referred as  "SWAP" or "Paged" RAM. These allocations are basically a LOT slower (Even if decent SSDs are used for these allocations) than "native" RAM. Nothing "bad" having a bit of this at your disposal as some processes can "offload" to this and still operate just fine. However some CRAP provider saying you get 256MB RAM and 8GB of "SWAP/Paged RAM" is not going to get you any real "mileages".

The "short version" is try to stay away from Burstable and spend your good money on dedicated RAM.  

1 person likes this

my plan doesn't say it is burstable so its safe? I'm just intrigue about the article and if he can do that on a 64mb dedicated ram then I can put more than 18 static site on my 512mb?

2 minutes ago, Big Boss said:

my plan doesn't say it is burstable so its safe? I'm just intrigue about the article and if he can do that on a 64mb dedicated ram then I can put more than 18 static site on my 512mb?

Yes you SHOULD be getting dedicated RAM if nothing is stated otherwise and you're actually paying for it as well (don't expect dedicated RAM at less than $3/GB or similar pricing).  

The load that your 512MB RAM VPS can take "on" depends on other factors beside the mere MBs that you have... 

CPU, drive(s) configurations, disk I/O, and allocation of the mentioned things all plays in the determination of how much "strain" your VPS can take.  

Oh and of course the sites/optimization steps you take within the VPS and websites will make your "mileages varies" as well. 

47 minutes ago, TechVM said:

Yes you SHOULD be getting dedicated RAM if nothing is stated otherwise and you're actually paying for it as well (don't expect dedicated RAM at less than $3/GB or similar pricing).  

The load that your 512MB RAM VPS can take "on" depends on other factors beside the mere MBs that you have... 

CPU, drive(s) configurations, disk I/O, and allocation of the mentioned things all plays in the determination of how much "strain" your VPS can take.  

Oh and of course the sites/optimization steps you take within the VPS and websites will make your "mileages varies" as well. 

I hope I'm getting dedicated RAM . Actually its a 5$ Linux KVM . Thanks for answering my question you help me alot .

1 person likes this

It is an old old article and obviously leb is no longer hosted on that few ram

1 hour ago, vampireJ said:

It is an old old article and obviously leb is no longer hosted on that few ram

yes it is old and obviously it is not hosted on a ram such small like that .

10 hours ago, Big Boss said:

I hope I'm getting dedicated RAM . Actually its a 5$ Linux KVM . Thanks for answering my question you help me alot .

No problems! For that price I would expect it to be 100% dedicated as well. 

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Similar Content

• By Big Boss
      hello vpsboard can you help me about my problem regarding my VPS ? I have a 1gb ram KVM VPS and the OS I have installed is a centOS 6.5 32bit  .
      I want to access my VPS and browse internet using it what things do I need to install to have a desktop view on my VPS ? 
    • By rsk
      MyRSK webhosting solutions has entered the budget vps market since well over a year now (globally). However, we have been providing webhosting solutions since 2009 locally - in Dubai for young entrepreneurs and startup companies. We are currently holding strong with many, many happy clients :-) 

A special deal from our newest location, Las Vegas :-) 

KVM United States (Las Vegas) FiberHub 
      512MB Guaranteed RAM 
      40GB HD RAID 10
      1000GB Bandwidth 1gigE Port 
      $4.99/month only! 
      [ORDER]
      Note: Windows is not possible on the $4.99 plans.
      For TOS/Legal : http://myrsk.com/legal.php
      Datacenter Information and test files : http://myrsk.com/network.php
      For queries or support please submit a ticket : http://myrsk.com/whmcs/submitticket.php

My warmest regards,
      R. Alkhaili
    • By Awmusic12635
      Fliphost's aim is to provide powerful, yet cost-effecting hosting to our clients. We specialize in SSD based VPS hosting and now we have started offering dedicated servers. All of our servers are hosted out of premium data centers with bandwidth to match. We are fully IPv6 ready.
        72GB Promo:

2 x L5520
      72GB DDR3 ECC RAM
      10TB @ 1Gbps (Route Optimized)
      4 x 1TB HDD
      HW RAID
      /29 IPv4 Addresses (3 Usable, 1 for server, 1 for IPMI)
      /64 IPv6 Addresses (Millions IPs)
      99.9% Uptime SLA
      $139/month
      ORDER NOW

IP Addresses:
      /28 (11 Usable, 1 for Server, 1 for IPMI) $8/month (justification required)
      /27 (27 Usable, 1 for Server, 1 for IPMI) $24month (justification required)
      /26 (59 Usable, 1 for Server, 1 for IPMI) $40.00/month (justification required)
      /25 (123 Usable, 1 for Server, 1 for IPMI) $60.00/month (justification required)

Ksplice is available!

Check out our full offering: http://www.fliphost.net/dedicated.html

Need a custom plan? Contact us!

AS62638. Carriers in our network include Internap and Cogent.

Carriers Internap's route optimized network include:
      - Sprint
      - NTT
      - Century Link
      - Tinet
      - AT&T
      - Global Crossing (Level 3)
      - Telia
      - XO
      - Verizon

Data Center: Cologix Infomart Dallas, Texas, USA. Tier 3. SSAE16.

24/7/365 Support.
      We accept PayPal, and soon to be Stripe
      We offer a 7 day refund policy. No questions asked.
      Up to 3 Business Days Setup.

Looking Glass / Test IP/ Test Download: Dallas  
    • By rsk
      MyRSK webhosting solutions has entered the budget vps market since well over a year now (globally). However, we have been providing webhosting solutions since 2009 locally - in Dubai for young entrepreneurs and startup companies. We are currently holding strong with many, many happy clients :-)

Before you jump me with "you said you will not offer budget vps anymore" statements :P
      I just would like to say that MyRSK will be offering both managed and unmanaged budget vps solutions, this was in the best interest of our clients, and they deserve all the best :-)

Just a gentle reminder: NO PUBLIC TORRENTING, SPAMMING, AND OTHER ILLEGAL ACTIVITIES ALLOWED!

OpenVZ Czech Republic (Zlin) FDCServers
      4096MB Guaranteed RAM 
      400GB HD 
      4000GB Bandwidth 100mb/s Port 
      FREE Addons Pack (10GB backup space + hosted DNS!) 
      $6.99/month only! 
      [ORDER]

KVM UK (Coventry) UKServers
      1024MB Guaranteed RAM 
      50GB HD 
      1000GB Bandwidth 100mb/s Port 
      FREE Addons Pack (10GB backup space + hosted DNS!) 
      $6.99/month only! 
      [ORDER]

KVM US (Atlanta) COLO@
      4096MB Guaranteed RAM  :o 
      80GB HD  :o 
      1000GB Bandwidth 100mb/s Port  :o 
      FREE Addons Pack (10GB backup space + hosted DNS!)  :o 
      $9.99/month only!  :popcorn: 
      [ORDER]

We DO NOT allow (not limited to) :
      Phishing
      Hacking
      Port Scanning
      P*rn*graphy (of any kind)
      IRC Bots
      Spam
      Proxy
      Nulled Scripts

Datacenter Information and test files : http://myrsk.com/network.php

For queries or support please submit a ticket : http://myrsk.com/whm...ubmitticket.php

Addons: 
      DirectAdmin = $6/month

My warmest regards,
      R. Alkhaili
      www.myrsk.com

• By drmike
      Running another out of box clean PHP-FPM instance.   

Having issue where randomly PHP bursts up, smacks VPS RAM ceiling and PHP goes nuts/non responsive.

For those that tinker with PHP and do so on limited RAM servers --- what are the tweaks you recommend to keep PHP within RAM limits and well behaved?