amuck-landowner

Dedicated Ram

TechVM

hello vpsboard may I ask if how can this be true? https://lowendbox.com/blog/yes-you-can-run-18-static-sites-on-a-64mb-link-1-vps/ and I inspect the site and he is using Xen 64mb dedicated ram . Does it mean my VPS with 512mb ram (KVM) is having more ram than what he have on the article? is dedicated ram more powerful than just a ram ?

There are three "types" of RAM with VPS allocations.  

Dedicated RAM is JUST that, RAM that you can use whenever/however you like. A VPS containing 1GB of dedicated RAM means you can have up to 1GB of usage with no "slow down" (assuming you're not trying to use more RAM, CPU is fine, and etc) 

Burstable RAM is a "grey" area of RAM allocation as it hard to estimate just how much of this is at your "disposal". BASICALLY the VPS provider set up a separate "pool"  of RAM just for this purpose. Then whenever the machine is underloaded this pool may be "drained" by ALL the VPSes on it. BUT not only it is shared among other VPSes you will also be limited by it. For example a VPS that have 1GB RAM and 2GB Burstable means you have 1GB "rain or shine" and 2GB "at best". 

The last one is not located at RAM at all but somewhat confused referred as  "SWAP" or "Paged" RAM. These allocations are basically a LOT slower (Even if decent SSDs are used for these allocations) than "native" RAM. Nothing "bad" having a bit of this at your disposal as some processes can "offload" to this and still operate just fine. However some CRAP provider saying you get 256MB RAM and 8GB of "SWAP/Paged RAM" is not going to get you any real "mileages".

The "short version" is try to stay away from Burstable and spend your good money on dedicated RAM.  

Big Boss

my plan doesn't say it is burstable so its safe? I'm just intrigue about the article and if he can do that on a 64mb dedicated ram then I can put more than 18 static site on my 512mb?

TechVM

my plan doesn't say it is burstable so its safe? I'm just intrigue about the article and if he can do that on a 64mb dedicated ram then I can put more than 18 static site on my 512mb?

Yes you SHOULD be getting dedicated RAM if nothing is stated otherwise and you're actually paying for it as well (don't expect dedicated RAM at less than $3/GB or similar pricing).  

The load that your 512MB RAM VPS can take "on" depends on other factors beside the mere MBs that you have... 

CPU, drive(s) configurations, disk I/O, and allocation of the mentioned things all plays in the determination of how much "strain" your VPS can take.  

Oh and of course the sites/optimization steps you take within the VPS and websites will make your "mileages varies" as well. 

Big Boss

Yes you SHOULD be getting dedicated RAM if nothing is stated otherwise and you're actually paying for it as well (don't expect dedicated RAM at less than $3/GB or similar pricing).  

The load that your 512MB RAM VPS can take "on" depends on other factors beside the mere MBs that you have... 

CPU, drive(s) configurations, disk I/O, and allocation of the mentioned things all plays in the determination of how much "strain" your VPS can take.  

Oh and of course the sites/optimization steps you take within the VPS and websites will make your "mileages varies" as well. 

I hope I'm getting dedicated RAM . Actually its a 5$ Linux KVM . Thanks for answering my question you help me alot .

amuck-landowner