• Announcements

• MannDude

Current state of vpsBoard   02/04/2017

Dear vpsBoard members and guests:

Over the last year or two vpsBoard activity and traffic has dwindled. I have had a change of career and interests, and as such am no longer an active member of the web hosting industry.

Due to time constraints and new interests I no longer wish to continue to maintain vpsBoard. The web site will remain only as an archive to preserve and showcase some of the great material, guides, and industry news that has been generated by members, some of which I remain in contact to this very day and now regard as personal friends.

I want to thank all of our members who helped make vpsBoard the fastest growing industry forum. In it's prime it was an active and ripe source of activity, news, guides and just general off-topic banter and fun.

I wish all members and guests the very best, whether it be with your business or your personal projects.

-MannDude
graeme

Options for isolating sites: Vms, vs containers, cs different users

Question

I have multiple web sites (and a few other processes) I want to run in an environment that is flexible and as low maintenance as possible. This includes my sites and customer sites, production and development. Most share a common platform (Python, Django, Postgres, Linux (mostly Debian)). I need to be able to give

At the moment they are all running in separate VPSs, and some on shared hosting. The problem with multiple unmanaged VPSs is that it is a lot of stuff to manage.

I have been experimenting with running the sites on a single VPS with multiple users. It is a "cloud" one so can be scaled up as needed, and there is only one OS and shared libraries to upgrade. The problem is relying on permissions to separate sites from each other, and to give users access to sites is quite fiddly, particularly as I am paranoid enough to run app servers as a different user from the code they exectute. I have not ruled it out as a solution, but it is not as straightforward as expected

I thought of running my own VPSs on a dedi, which is cost effective, but adds one more component to manage. It gives me a lot of isolation.

I think some sort of container or jail solution will give me the best of both worlds, but I am not familiar enough with it to pick suggestions? I am willing to consider using any *nix OS, although Debian Linux is what I am most familiar with.

Resource isolation is not an issue: it will not be running anything I expect to cause problems. Easy admin and security are.

Any suggestions?

7 answers to this question

1. Dedicated + Cloudlinux + control panel (E.g. cPanel, Vesta)

2. Just a Bunch of VPS + automation (E.g. Puppet)

1 person likes this

1. I dislike control panels, but Cloudlinux looks distinctly interesting. I was thinking of something like Alpine Linux (or something else with grsecurity to provide real jails) or a BSD and jails, but this looks easier.
2. Why did I not think of that!?  The more I think about it, the more I think it is the best approach. Thanks.

Or you can use any of the container virtualization suites to package up and deploy each site, such as LXC and Docker.  

Containers were the lines on which I was thinking, but:

1.  Docker means a container per application, which complicates things for sites that require more than one application. Will something else work better?
  2. It seems a lot of work for single deployments. I can see the advantages if you are deploying lots of instances of an app, but it seems significant extra work when each application is only deployed once
  3. I know how to poke around inside a VPS or server. I can ssh in do just about anything and see anything when debugging issues I cannot immediately reproduce locally. Do containers make this more difficult?
  4. The whole development and maintenance workflow seems a lot more complex.

A lot of these objections may be due to my ignorance of containers, so please correct me if I am wrong :)

1 person likes this

I am a n00b still with Docker.  The groupies of Docker will bitch at what I say no doubt.

You @graeme would do good under Docker.  But but but, have to learn the intricacies of it and get comfortable with it.  The other thing is, you can't go running Docker on OpenVZ really.  So looking at KVM virtualization or your own dedicated server to run things.  Yes, some providers have Docker bastardizations under OpenVZ.

Docker while container --- it's mega light... It's essentially you have the OS base image that hangs out and then these containers are diffs over top of that - changes and what not, your own data, code, whatever.  The change size can be quite minimal.  So say you run Debian as base and big bulk, well each container is not overhead and disk consumption of the whole Debian OS, it's tiny fraction of it.

These containers are the same experience as having VPS instances otherwise, aside from being on the same VPS or dedi underneath.  Thing much like OpenVZ  without having a public IP for each Docker instance like you often for for OpenVZ.

Now the PITA part of Dockerland (and their still are lots) is you have to plumb the security right or going to be prone to self harm.  Mandatory front side firewall to start.  Likely going to want to reverse proxy only what you want exposed.

To me, Docker and related are like a cloud in a single account (be it VPS or dedi).  Good for multiplexing what you have and doing more with less baremetal.

You could do similar on baremetal with KVM or OpenVZ or Proxmox.  But that is going the dedi route.

MYTH: Docker means a container per application. It doesn't have to.  That's just how lots of people are using Docker.

TRUTH: The whole development and maintenance workflow seems a lot more complex.

That's how I feel about the abstraction of Docker and what I consider shit for doc and materials.  Those that live on bleeding edge fashion are always oblivious of such and go RTFM.    Same folks I'd love to hand a shovel and some working tools to and tell them to just get to work and watch them stand in confusion.

1 person likes this

You can run docker under OpenVZ if it's a newer kernel.  However, if you want to make your life easier then just use a KVM to run the containers.

One way you can use a container is simply mount the port to a local port (e.g. 127.0.0.1:3000 for one python site, etc.) and then use a reverse proxy in nginx or apache to expose that port to the web.  

Micro-services trend was what made the "One Container = One Docker".  Mostly since Docker provides automation tools for service deployment and scaling.  If you containerized every single service/application inside docker, then you can setup scaling easily without having to deploy the rest of your stack.  You can use a docker container like a regular VPS if you want, just how you want to use it really.  It really depends on how you want to go about it, but if you just set everything up within docker then it doesn't make sense to even use docker right?  Rather just use the bare KVM/OpenVZ/metal system straight up.  

1 person likes this

• Similar Content

• By Enterprisevpssolutions
      These custom Kvm solutions allow clients to setup the file system and partitions how they want. No templates, no default file system type, clients can pick and choose how they want the system setup just like a dedicate server. Custom made to fit the clients needs, full access with vnc console so you can troubleshoot your system without a public network interface. Premium Bandwidth 99.99% uptime! Our location is Southeast US, Tampa,Florida.   We use only the best hardware to guarantee uptime and stability and we never oversell our nodes.   Receive a 15% OFF INSTANT DISCOUNT just use this CODE:[email protected]$Th3B3$t#1 This is a recurring discount on any product you get.   Virtual Dedicated Servers (VPS)   Included With Every VPS Self-managed [-] Free Instant Setup per request in order [-] 99% Uptime Guaranteed  [-] 24/7/365 Online Support [-] vnc console access [-] Unlimited bandwidth on rated 10M port (Upgrade to 100M for $6.00)   Basic Package $14.95/monthly 1 CPU WESTMERE: 2.27GHZ DEDICATED RAM: 1024M SECURE STORAGE: 25G 1 ipv4 https://enterprisevpssolutions.com/portal/cart.php?gid=3   Standard Package $24.95/monthly 2 CPUS WESTMERE: 2.27GHZ DEDICATED RAM: 2048M SECURE STORAGE: 50G 1 ipv4 https://enterprisevpssolutions.com/portal/cart.php?gid=3   Advance Package $44.95/monthly 3 CPUS WESTMERE: 2.27GHZ DEDICATED RAM: 3096M SECURE STORAGE: 100G 1 ipv4 https://enterprisevpssolutions.com/portal/cart.php?gid=3   Enterprise Package $69.95/monthly 4 CPUS WESTMERE: 2.27GHZ DEDICATED RAM: 4096M SECURE STORAGE: 200G 1 ipv4 https://enterprisevpssolutions.com/portal/cart.php?gid=3   Need something custom look to our cloud solutions.
    • By Aurimas
      Black Friday Sale - Powerful VPS hosting 30% OFF | Cloud Server plans up to 60% OFF!

Host1Plus is an international virtualization solutions provider, offering VPS and Cloud Servers ßeta hosting services. Host1Plus provides affordable and customizable solutions to meet the needs of developers, web designers, SMBs in managing their own assets while utilizing Host1Plus in-house developed and well documented powerful API.  The values Host1Plus owns today – reliability, tolerance, partnership - were rooted by their customers over the years of successful collaboration. Their team strives to ensure immaculate network stability, solid server reliability and excellent customer care.
      Founded in London, UK, in 2008, the company now has a global presence with multiple data centers and local support teams in Africa, Europe, North & South America.
      Host1Plus.com is offering high quality VPS and Cloud Servers ßeta services with a great Black Friday discount!

LIMITED TIME SALE

Powerful VPS hosting 30% OFF

Coupon: BLACK30 - get 30 % OFF for any VPS plan (Except Amber) for 3-6 months billing cycles!

Cloud Servers ßeta up to 60% OFF

Coupon: CS50OFF – receive up to 60% discount on any of our Cloud Servers ßeta plans for a selected time period (from 1 to 6 month billing cycles)!

If you would like to make a custom order or would like to receive a professional consultation regarding our services, contact our sales team via online sales chat on our website or contact us by email at [email protected]

We provide 24/7 technical assistance in English and Portuguese via support ticket system at [email protected] We are always ready to help!
      You can see our client reviews here.

Data Center Locations

Host1Plus is an international web hosting company which offers VPS and Cloud Servers ßeta services worldwide.

VPS hosting locations:

United States (Los Angeles, Chicago), Germany (Frankfurt), Brazil (Sao Paulo), South Africa (Johannesburg)

Cloud Server locations worldwide:

United States (Chicago), Germany (Frankfurt), Brazil (soon)
      -----------------------------------------------------------------
      All our hosting packages:
      VPS Hosting

Cloud Servers ßeta

-----------------------------------------------------------------
      Accepted Forms of Payment:
      PayPal, Visa, MasterCard, American Express, Boleto Bancário, Alipay, Bitcoin, Ebanx, Paysera.

VPS HOSTING PLANS

All our VPS packages come with:
      ·         24/7 Support via email or tickets
      ·         High-capacity, high-speed, highly redundant network
      ·         Powerful Intel® Xeon® E5 v3 processors
      ·         Easy to use control panel
      ·         Full root access
      ·         Popular Linux distributions such as CentOS, Debian, Fedora, Suse & Ubuntu
      ·         Dedicated IP address
      ·         Easy to upgrade
      ·         DNS & rDNS records management
      ·         Additional IP's - $1/each
      ·         cPanel license - $15/mo
      ·         Labeled WHMCS license - $14.00/mo
      ·         Unlabeled WHMCS license - $16.00/mo
      With our easy to use resource selection tool you can customize your VPS hosting plan for the resources you need (CPU, RAM, Disk space, Bandwidth, Dedicated IP's).
      The following VPS hosting plans are just for a reference with up to 30% discount applied.
      Amber
      0.5 Core
      RAM: 256 MB
      Disk: 20 GB
      Bandwidth: 500 GB
      Free Dedicated IP: 1

1 Month: $2.00/month
      3 Months: $1.90/month
      6 Months: $1.80/month
      12 Months: $1.70/month
      Order Now

Bronze
      1 Core
      RAM: 768 MB
      Disk: 60 GB
      Bandwidth: 1000 GB
      1 Month: $5.00/month
      3 Months: $9.97, 30% off with code BLACK30 (Normally $14.24)
      6 Months: $18.90, 30% off with code BLACK30 (Normally $27.00)
      12 Months: $51.00
      Order Now

Silver
      2 Cores
      RAM: 2048 MB
      Disk: 80 GB
      Bandwidth: 2000 GB
      1 Month: $10.00/month
      3 Months: $19.94, 30% off with code BLACK30 (Normally $28.49)
      6 Months: $37.80, 30% off with code BLACK30 (Normally $54.00)
      12 Months: $102.00
      Order Now

Gold
      4 Cores
      RAM: 4096 MB
      Disk: 200 GB
      Bandwidth: 3000 GB
      1 Month: $20.00/month
      3 Months: $39.91, 30% off with code BLACK30 (Normally $57.10)
      6 Months: $75.60, 30% off with code BLACK30 (Normally $108.00)
      12 Months: $204.00
      Order Now

Platinum
      6 Cores
      RAM: 8192 MB
      Disk: 500 GB
      Bandwidth: 7000 GB
      1 Month: $45.00/month
      3 Months: $89.78, 30% off with code BLACK30 (Normally $128.26)
      6 Months: $170.1, 30% off with code BLACK30 (Normally $243.00)
      12 Months: $459.00
      Order Now

Diamond
      8 Cores
      RAM: 16384 MB
      Disk: 1000 GB
      Bandwidth: 12000 GB
      1 Month: $85.00/month
      3 Months: $169.58 30% off with code BLACK30 (Normally $242.26)
      6 Months: $321.30, 30% off with code BLACK30 (Normally $459.00)
      12 Months: $459.00
      Order Now

CLOUD SERVERS ßETA PLANS

Included Features in all Cloud ServerS ßeta plans:

·   Intel® Xeon® E5 v3 processors
      ·   DDR4 error correcting-code RAM
      ·   Up to 32 Ipv4 addresses
      ·   KVM virtualization technology
      ·  1 free backup
      ·   API
      ·   Ipv6 support
      ·  10G network
      ·   Additional IP's - $1/each
      ·   DNS Management
      ·   VNC Console
      ·   Rescue Mode
      ·   Custom ISO

The following Cloud Servers ßeta plans are just for a reference with up to 60% discount applied.

Linux plans

LIN1
      1 Core
      RAM: 512 MB
      Disk: 20 GB Disk space
      Bandwidth: 2 TB
      1 Month: $4.00, 50% off with code CS50OFF (Normally $8.00)
      3 Months: $11.40, 55% off with code CS50OFF
      6 Months: $21.60, 60% off with code CS50OFF
      12 Months: $81.60
      Order Now

LIN2
      2 Core
      RAM: 2048 MB
      Disk: 40 GB
      Bandwidth: 4 TB
      1 Month:  $8.00, 50% off with code CS50OFF (Normally $16.00)
      3 Months: $22.81, 55% off with code CS50OFF
      6 Months: $43.20, 60% off with code CS50OFF
      12 Months:: $163.20
      Order Now

LIN4
      4 Core
      Disk: 100 GB
      Bandwidth: 7 TB
      1 Month:  $15.00, 50% off with code CS50OFF (Normally $30.00)
      3 Months: $42.78, 55% off with code CS50OFF
      6 Months:  $81.00, 60% off with code CS50OFF
      12 Months:: $306.00
      Order Now

LIN8
      4 Core
      Bandwidth: 14 TB
      1 Month:  $25.00, 50% off with code CS50OFF (Normally $50.00)
      3 Months: $71.30, 55% off with code CS50OFF
      6 Months: $135.00, 60% off with code CS50OFF
      12 Months:: $510.00
      Order Now

LIN16
      6 Core
      Bandwidth: 19 TB
      1 Month:  $45.00, 50% off with code CS50OFF (Normally $90.00)
      3 Months: $128.38, 55% off with code CS50OFF
      6 Months: $243.00, 60% off with code CS50OFF
      12 Months:: $918
      Order Now

LIN32
      8 Core
      RAM: 32768 MB
      Bandwidth: 24 TB
      1 Month: $78.00, 50% off with code CS50OFF (Normally $156.00)
      3 Months: $222.55, 55% off with code CS50OFF
      6 Months: $421.20, 60% off with code CS50OFF
      12 Months:: $1591.20
      Order Now

Windows plans

WIN4
      2 Core
      Disk: 100 GB
      Bandwidth: 6 TB
      1 Month:  $12.50, 50% off with code CS50OFF (Normally $25.00)
      3 Months:  $35.65, 55% off with code CS50OFF
      6 Months: $67.50, 60% off with code CS50OFF
      12 Months:: $255.00
      Order Now

WIN8
      4 Core
      Bandwidth: 8 TB
      1 Month:  $22.00, 50% off with code CS50OFF (Normally $44.00)
      3 Months:  $62.75, 55% off with code CS50OFF
      6 Months: $118.80, 60% off with code CS50OFF
      12 Months:: $448.80
      Order Now

WIN16
      6 Core
      Bandwidth: 15 TB
      1 Month: $43.00, 50% off with code CS50OFF (Normally $86.00)
      3 Months: $122.68, 55% off with code CS50OFF
      6 Months: $232.20, 60% off with code CS50OFF
      12 Months:: $877.20
      Order Now

WIN32
      8 Core
      RAM: 32768 MB
      Bandwidth: 20 TB
      1 Month:  $76.00, 50% off with code CS50OFF (Normally $152.00)
      3 Months: $216.85, 55% off with code CS50OFF
      6 Months: $410.40, 60% off with code CS50OFF
      12 Months:: $1550.40
      Order Now

Make your ideas and projects come to life with tools and features offered by Cloud Server. Don’t sleep as the offers is for a limited time only!
      We are trusted by more than 50,000 clients worldwide to deliver them high quality and performance hosting services with superb customer support!

Have any questions? Email us at [email protected] or write to us at our live sales chat.

You can also join Host1Plus social networks for the latest news.          
      Facebook - www.facebook.com/Host1Plus
      Twitter - www.twitter.com/Host1Plus
      Google+ - https://plus.google.com/+Host1Plus

LinkedIn - https://www.linkedin.com/company/digital-energy-technologies-ltd.
      YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/user/Host1Plus
      Instagram -  https://www.instagram.com/host1plus/
    • By wlanboy
      Allwinner:
      Allwinner A10/A20 – Display engine clocks (TCON, FE, DE), I2S audio interface (ASoC) driver, added NFC node to DTS Allwinner H3 – Clocks (through sunxi-ng), USB multi-reset lines support AXP2xx driver – External drivebus support, AXP223 USB power supply support, AXP809 PMIC support Broadcom BCM53125 support as it’s used in Lamobo / Banana Pi R1 router board. New boards – Polaroid MID2407PXE03 & inet86dz (Allwinner A23 tablets), Banapi M1+, Banapi M2+, Allwinner Parrot (Allwinner R16 EVB) Samsung
      Enable drivers for Exynos7 and Exynos5433 based boards: S2MPS clock driver, SoC: RTC, SPI, watchdog, EHCI, OHCI, DWC3, ADC and PWM, Enable Samsung SoC sound Qualcomm Device Tree Changes:
      Reverse BAM dma node reverts Add BAM remote control options for affected platforms Enable peripherals on APQ8074 dragonboard Enable PMA8084 pwrky Fix PMIC reg entries by removing unnecessary size element Add SCM binding and support for all currently supported boards Add Qualcomm WCNSS binding documentation Rename db600c to SD_600eval and add peripheral nodes Remove gpio key entry from Nexus7 Add APQ8060 based dragonboard and associated peripherals Add ARMv7 PMU for IPQ4019 Other new ARM hardware or SoCs
      NXP i.MX 7Solo, Broadcom BCM23550, Broadcom BCM2837 (Raspberry Pi 3)  
      Grapped out of the change log: https://kernelnewbies.org/Linux_4.8

• By AtlanticServers
      UK based DC by Atlantic Servers Limited
      Choose Your Best VPS Plans.
      Linux VPS 1: 
      ==================================
      Processor : Intel Xeon Quad Core
      CPU : 1 vCore
      RAM : 1024 MB    
      SWAP : 1024 MB    
      HDD : 20 GB  SAS RAID  
      Bandiwidth : 2TB 

Price : $ 4.89/mo.  Order now
      with promo code VPS30

Linux VPS 2: 
      ==================================
      Processor : Intel Xeon Quad Core
      CPU : 2 vCore
      RAM : 2048 MB    
      SWAP : 2048 MB    
      HDD : 30 GB  SAS RAID  
      Bandiwidth : 2TB 

Price : $ 8.39/mo.  Order now
      with promo code VPS30
    • By AtlanticServers
      Atlantic Servers Ltd - UK based Web Hosting provider. We offer not only very competitive prices, but also fast support and a high quality network. We are sure that you will be amazed by our special deals every week! Intel Xeon L5630 Memory: 8 GB Hard Drive(s): 1000 GB Bandwidth: 10 TB 1 Gigabit Network Connection Set-up Fee: $0.00 Monthly Price: $59.00 Order Now! Intel Xeon L5630 Memory: 16 GB Hard Drive(s): 1000 GB Bandwidth: 10 TB 1 Gigabit Network Connection Set-up Fee: $0.00 Monthly Price: $69.00 Order Now!