• Announcements

• MannDude

Current state of vpsBoard   02/04/2017

Dear vpsBoard members and guests:

Over the last year or two vpsBoard activity and traffic has dwindled. I have had a change of career and interests, and as such am no longer an active member of the web hosting industry.

Due to time constraints and new interests I no longer wish to continue to maintain vpsBoard. The web site will remain only as an archive to preserve and showcase some of the great material, guides, and industry news that has been generated by members, some of which I remain in contact to this very day and now regard as personal friends.

I want to thank all of our members who helped make vpsBoard the fastest growing industry forum. In it's prime it was an active and ripe source of activity, news, guides and just general off-topic banter and fun.

I wish all members and guests the very best, whether it be with your business or your personal projects.

-MannDude
StartVM-Chase

Hudson Valley Host: Bargain Bin Server Review

11 posts in this topic

Hudson Valley Host

About
HVH is a member of the Velocity Servers, Inc (VSNX) family, often associated with ColoCrossing. Their model is a "one company fits all", striving to provide services which appeal from novice users to professionals. Their broad network makes scaling one's project effortless. Since their start, HVH has promised a commitment to nearly 100% uptime, and in my opinion, it is clear the network as a whole makes strides to provide the absolute best experience possible for their customers.

Services Overview
HVH provides a wide array of hosting solutions including Shared cPanel Hosting, Reseller cPanel Hosting, OpenVZ & KVM VPS (Linux & Windows), Managed & Unmanaged Dedicated Servers, and Colocation. Also available for purchase are dedicated IPs, SSL Certificates, Domain Names, and discounted Software Licenses. Today I am reviewing their Unmanaged Dedicated Servers.

I initially ordered a hybrid server from HVH, but due to the nature of my product I decided a dedicated server was a better option. I ended up opening a Sales ticket, and their team was happy to assist, they even provided a full credit for the hybrid server to be used toward a dedicated server (shout out to Mike)! I ended up being able to negotiate a really awesome deal on the dedicated server I ended up ordering, and Mike was happy to get a work order for my build sent over the their Buffalo DC promptly after payment.

Support Quality - A
I have to give it to these guys. Their technical support kind of rocks. Whether it be their consistent response times (always under 30 minutes but often within 10 mins) or their technicians reinstalling an OS 2 times at 2 AM, they are there to support you! If you have a technical issue, I wouldn't recommend using live chat (as with most providers) mainly because these agents don't appear to specialize in technical support, but tickets are responded to promptly and are handled by competent individuals.

The Server - A
Category: Bargain Bin
CPU: Intel Xeon E3-1240v2
RAM: 32GB
HDD: 1 x 500 GB HDD
Bandwidth: 10 TB
Port: 1Gbps
IPv4 Allocation: /29 (5 usable)

Given it's age, I am extremely impressed with this server; a workhorse for sure. Never had any issues with accessibility, lag, etc. I know they had the misfortune of some spammers in the past, but I was pleased that all IPs I was issued were completely clean. I especially like how I can manage reverse DNS and null route individual IPs right from the client portal, definitely a nice touch.

Price - A
Guys, seriously, the pricing on this box is pretty spectacular. For just $55 per month you can pick this box up. They also have some similar bargain bin servers in the same ballpark.

Conclusion
Hudson Valley Host is one of the best hosting providers I have had the privilege to do business with. Alas their turbulent past, these guys are on the up and up. Some of the most capable gentlemen in the industry are at the reigns of this machine. If you are looking for an affordable dedicated server, I highly recommend you give these guys a look.

I'm going to be honest with you @StartVM-Chase.

As you know, HVH is owned by ColoCrossing.  There was historically bad blood between ColoCrossing and vpsBoard a while back, around the time LET got hacked and it was proven LET was owned by ColoCrossing (before ColoCrossing owned LowEndTalk and LowEndBox, it was supposed to be a neutral grounds from any providers and even after ColoCrossing owned it, they constantly stated "we don't own it" publicly).  Now I'm no the biggest fan of ColoCrossing and their sub-brands like HVH and historically have had people from their groups be pretty hostile towards me, mostly due to my affiliation to this forum.  Doesn't help there has been instances where ColoCrossing has tried to get a certain member of this forum fired from their job on something that was totally unrelated.  In addition, ColoCrossing regularly hosted Johnny Nguyen, who besides running GreenValueHost to the ground, opened up a new shop as Nguyen Web Services and hosted spammers.  If memory serves me right, they were also once reported to be one of the spammier networks out there.  Even for about a year or two there was an entire trend of "No ColoCrossing Please" in offer request threads.  If you want to use HVH that's your own problem, but I'd like to add on to anyone else reading this review that historically they've been an interesting group of individuals.  I personally do not recommend anyone ever purchase from them (especially after previously hosting with ChicagoVPS).  It does seem Biloh has been working hard though recently, especially with ColoCrossing looking a bit bigger than it used to.  Props to that guy.  However, it's not something I can still recommend people to buy.    

There's an entire book I could write about this event, but it's really old.  Many people have stopped caring about warning new people.  However, I'm still a bit salty over it (again, since Biloh tried to get people fired at their day jobs over this.  That's literally trying to attack someone's way of feeding and clothing themselves and their family and putting a roof over their head.  It's incredibly rude and the entire fact that he went to such measures over internet "territory" pretty much surprises me.).  

I can't leave posts on this site trying to promote HVH and ColoCrossing up without explaining a pretty salty part of our relations.  

1 person likes this

@HalfEatenPie hopefully I continue to have a good experience, and their future clients have a good experience as well.  After all, no use wishing the worst for a provider, especially when it would be their clients that suffer.

6 hours ago, StartVM-Chase said:

@HalfEatenPie hopefully I continue to have a good experience, and their future clients have a good experience as well.  After all, no use wishing the worst for a provider, especially when it would be their clients that suffer.

This isn't anything wishing anyone the worst, but mostly me expressing my disapproval of anyone using them in general.  Of course I wish anyone using anyone else the best in their process.  However, using them is your own decision and it's their own decision to determine what level of support they provide.  It's the end client's decision to go with X provider or Y.  It's economics, not ideology.  

Best of luck, but with previous negative reviews of their services (back when they were really prone to DDoS, CVPS overselling considerably, iirc I think at one point BuyVM was given less than their originally given port speed but was lied to?, BuyVM having to pay full price for a certain hardware but later paperwork saying it was a "loan and setup fee", getting blacklisted IPs, the entire "grab for IPs" a while back, etc.) and being on the "brunt end" so called of their campaigns (as well was throwing some of my own crap at them calling them out), I consider HVH and ColoCrossing operations a high risk low reward scenario.  The only enticing thing they provide is the price point being the bottom of the barrel in the US.  It gets them a considerable amount of clients, but also a higher overselling rate of their network (theoretically speaking.  I don't have actual documents related to their operations so it's speculation and from what other people have previously reported).  All respect to them since it works, but just not what I'd trust to work when needed.  

Disclaimer: Everything here is my opinion and my memory.  I could be wrong as it's been a while.  Look into it yourself if you're interested in finding the proof.  I'm an old man on the internet per se. 

Wow...this looks awfully familiar to your review over on WHT:  http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=1616603

So you just "happen" to be going around to all web hosting forums posting the same review because you are just so pleased with their service?  I call complete and total BS. 

How much are they paying you, or are your 2 hosting sites just more shell companies for ColoCrossing?

1 person likes this

16 minutes ago, WSWD said:

Wow...this looks awfully familiar to your review over on WHT:  http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=1616603

So you just "happen" to be going around to all web hosting forums posting the same review because you are just so pleased with their service?  I call complete and total BS. 

How much are they paying you, or are your 2 hosting sites just more shell companies for ColoCrossing?

Nice catch! Turns out I am a very satisfied customer and want people to know it. If posting that in multiple places makes me full of BS or a shill so be it. To often people get attacked for their actions so I am not backing down. I got blasted on WHT for liking the company. I took it. I posted it on here, and looks like the blasting shall begin. If I end up getting banned for going against the majority, then so be it. 

56 minutes ago, WSWD said:

scratches head: I'm getting an error message when I click on the link to the alleged duplicate review. I think @WSWD is posting fake news!!!  :P 

edit: seems the mods at WHT deleted the HVH review thread and disabled the poster.  They only do that when they're jealous of the truth.

google cache

@HalfEatenPiebut with previous negative reviews of their services 

There are plenty of very positive reviews of their services on Google, Facebook, and other sites.

2 people like this

4 hours ago, StartVM-Chase said:

If I end up getting banned for going against the majority, then so be it. 

Why would you think that you'd be banned for "going against the majority"?

On 12/9/2016 at 3:18 PM, StartVM-Chase said:

Come to remember.

If you can provide proof of actual service (you can simply PM me as well), that'd be great.  

If not then this post will be locked and/or removed in 48 hours.

I hope you understand due to HVH and CC's previous operations, why these reviews are questionable and why it is best to take such hard measures against possible shills. 

11 hours ago, HalfEatenPie said:

Come to remember.

If you can provide proof of actual service (you can simply PM me as well), that'd be great.  

If not then this post will be locked and/or removed in 48 hours.

I hope you understand due to HVH and CC's previous operations, why these reviews are questionable and why it is best to take such hard measures against possible shills. 

Invoice sent

OP has submitted his invoice with HVH and from the information presented, it shows that he does have active service with HVH.

Note: this is a review of a service that began on November 21st. 

2 people like this

• Similar Content

• By AtlanticServers
      We have UK based business class servers located in Coventry and Reading in the UK.
      ALL VPS INCLUDE:
      99.9% Network Uptime Guarantee 24/7 Ticket Support OpenVZ and KVM Virtualisation Platform Available in  United Kingdom Work with a Fully Accredited UK VAT Registered Company All Prices INCLUSIVE of VAT Instant Activation - Upon Payment ===============================
      Linux VPS1
      ===============================
      Ram: 1024MB RAID Storage: 20GB SAS Bandwidth:  CPU Cores: 1 1 IP Address $4.89 per month Promo Price with code: VPS30 - ORDER

Promo VPS
      Ram: 256MB RAID Storage: 10GB SAS Bandwidth:  CPU Cores: 1 1 IP Address $2.50 per month  ORDER
      Dedicated server S4X-8-L5630
      Quad Core XEON x 2.13 GHz 8GB RAM ECC 500GB SATA IPv4 / IPv6 $39.00 per month ORDER
    • By OSTKCabal
      Ready2Frag, operating under a DBA of HostVenom LLC, is a gaming-oriented game server, dedicated server, and VPS hosting provider dedicated to providing a fantastic service at the best possible value. Our company-owned hardware is colocated within the Steadfast Networks 725 S. Wells facility in Chicago, offering direct connectivity to Steadfast's 350 E. Cermak location and premium network blend (AS32748).
      Don't let the low price of this limited-time special fool you - we're not cutting corners with your server! We've got a large stock of E3-1230v2 servers left over from recent cancellations and upgrades. The seasonal nature of the online video gaming market means that many clients downsize during the school months, and order the latest and greatest the next spring-summer.
      We're always working on exciting new features, upgrades, and general improvements. We'll be releasing more information on our goals and focuses for the 2017 fiscal year soon - stay tuned!
      =============================================================================
      E3-1230v2 (CPU Upgrades Available) - From $49/month
      16-32GB DDR3 ECC RAM 500GB or 128GB SSD Inluded Upgraded or Additional disks available! 1Gbps Network Port 5TB Monthly Transfer 5 IPv4 (/29) DDoS Protection Available! ORDER NOW!
      =============================================================================
      Network & Facility Info
      725 S. Wells, Chicago, IL - Steadfast Networks Steadfast's ASN: AS32748 Our ASN: AS30455 Legal Info
      Terms of Service (TOS) Acceptable Usage Policy (AUP) Service Level Agreement (SLA) Social Media & News
      Twitter - @Ready2Frag Client Area - Announcements Have A Question?
      Open a Ticket! =============================================================================
      Thanks for reading!
      Wyatt T.
      Ready2Frag.com
    • By Oliver
      I have a special offer of some of the best value dedicated systems probably ever offered in Australia. **First 10x orders get a free upgrade to 24GB RAM.**

Specifications:
      * CPU: L5410 Quad Core 2.13Ghz
      * RAM: 16GB **First 10x orders get a free upgrade to 24GB RAM.**
      * Drives: 2x 15k 146GB SAS in Hardware RAID1 (mention in notes if you prefer RAID0, not recommended)
      * Power: Redundant PSUs on separate feeds
      * Network: 3TB @ 100mbit, /29 IPv4 + /64 IPv6
      * Upstream: We are on AS45177, Test IP and LG Servers are in Equinix SY3
      * OOB: Not provided, 1 free reinstall per month
      * OS choices: CentOS 6, CentOS 7, VmWare ESX 6, Debian Jessie, Ubuntu 16.04

These are not going to be available for long so if you are after a great value cheap dedicated box in Australia with good connectivity to the region (AU/NZ) get in quick.
      Setup: None for now!
      Price: $49 USD monthly or $64 AUD monthly
      Pay in USD
      Pay in AUD
    • By ikoula
      Specifications
      -Atom family processor
      -2 Gb Ram 
      -2 Tb Sata Hd
      -100 Mbps Full Duplex unmetered
      Choice of OS
      -None OS install through KVM
      -Debian 8
      -Centos 7
      -Ubuntu 16.04
      Price
      -Price : 10.99€ excl VAT/Month
      -no setup fee
      Accepted methods of payments
      -Paypal
      -Credit cards
      -Bank tranfer
      Order link
      https://express.ikoula.com/en/dedicated-server#promo
      Server administration
      -Root
      -Reboot
      -Reset
      -Customized reverse DNS
      -Customized secondary DNS
      -MX rescue
      -Rescue system tools are available on https://extranet.ikoula.com
      IP / Network
      -Extra IPv4 is charged 2.50€ / Month (limited to five).
      -Ipv6 available but not configured by default.
      -You can test network at http://lg.ikoula.com/
      -DRAC / KVMoIP Not incluted, a KVM can be rent for 24h.
      Info
      Operating since 1998 and we own our datacenter. More info here.
      Feel free to ask if you have any question.
    • By WiredBlade
      Here at WiredBlade all our servers are fully customizable such as RAM space, hard drive space, the operating system (CentOS, Windows and more), control panel (cPanel and DirectAdmin) and bandwidth. Our dedicated servers are ideal for all types of businesses. We believe that a good strong support team available 24/7 to provide our users with solutions is a necessity. See our deals of the month:

Dual Intel Xeon E5640

-----------------------------------------------------------------
      -CPU: Intel Xeon E5640 (8 Cores, 2.66 Ghz)
      -RAM: 32GB 
      -Storage: 2 x 1TB SATA
      -IPv4 Address: /29 IP Allocation, 5 Usable IPs 
      -Monthly Bandwidth: 20 TB 
      -Network Port: 1 Gbps Uplink Port
      -Operating System: Linux, Microsoft Windows Server 2008/2012 or self-installed
      -Remote Management: Dedicated KVM over IP / IPMI (uses 1 IP address) 
      -Support Level: 24x7 On-Site Support
      -Premium Network Blend: Level3, Zayo, Comcast, Cogent and PCCW  
      -Datacenter Location: Phoenix, Arizona 
      -Price:69.99/month after discount | Click here to order
      Upgrades available for RAM, Disk Space, IP Addresses, Bandwidth

Dual Intel Xeon E5-2670

-CPU: Dual (x2) Intel Xeon E5-2670 (16 Cores, 2.60 Ghz)
      -Price: $179.99/month after discount | Click here to order

FAQ

Q. How long does it take to provision my server?
      A. New server orders are provisioned within 24 hours of payment. This is only an approximate time frame.

Q. Are the servers managed?
      All of our services are normally self-managed. We provide the server, bandwidth, and hardware support. You can contact us for custom managed server quote.

Q. Is your bandwidth shared?
      A. No! All of our servers are fully dedicated. You have access to the full amount of bandwidth 100% of the time, and you will not share a connection with any other customer or server.

Q. Do you offer KVM over IP?
      A. Absolutely! All servers come with IPMI capability built in. 

Q. What are your accepted user policy?
      A. Warez-related, Bulk Mail, and Spam-related activities are strictly forbidden. CAN-SPAM, Copyright, DMCA, and other related US laws must be strictly followed. For more information, you can refer to our Term Of Use and Privacy Policy.

Why choose us?

-Over 15 Years of Experience
      Since 1997, we have been committed to providing innovative services along with rich features. 

-24x7 On-Site Tech Support - Zero Outsourcing
      In-house, around the clock support is available 24X7. We are always ready to resolve your issues.

-100% Network Uptime
      Our network is designed to be fully redundant. Downtime is not something that we will tolerate.

-Fast Server Deployment (within 24 hours)
      Your server will be well configured and ready for you to use within 24 hours of the order. We will take care of all your custom configurations.

-Security
      Your dedicated server will be hosted in our highly secured data center featuring 24x7x365 on-site security, mantraps with anti-tailgating technology, biometric and keycard access denial systems, CCTV throughout the facility interior and exterior, and data center access logs. Your data is safe with us. We protect it with our own server management expertise.

Payment Methods: PayPal & All Major Credit Cards.

All servers are located in our Tier 3+ Phoenix AZ data center. Please visit our website at www.wiredblade.com to open a ticket with our Sales department for any custom quote or any questions you may have. 

Email: info[@]wiredblade.com
      Phone: +1 (602) 904 5357
      Here at WiredBlade all our servers are fully customizable such as RAM space, hard drive space, the operating system (CentOS, Windows and more), control panel (cPanel and DirectAdmin) and bandwidth. Our dedicated servers are ideal for all types of businesses. We believe that a good strong support team available 24/7 to provide our users with solutions is a necessity. See our deals of the month:

Dual Intel Xeon E5640

-CPU: Intel Xeon E5640 (8 Cores, 2.66 Ghz)
      -Price:69.99/month after discount | Click here to order

Dual Intel Xeon E5-2670

-CPU: Dual (x2) Intel Xeon E5-2670 (16 Cores, 2.60 Ghz)
      -Price: $179.99/month after discount | Click here to order

FAQ

Q. How long does it take to provision my server?
      A. New server orders are provisioned within 24 hours of payment. This is only an approximate time frame.

Q. Are the servers managed?
      All of our services are normally self-managed. We provide the server, bandwidth, and hardware support. You can contact us for custom managed server quote.

Q. Is your bandwidth shared?
      A. No! All of our servers are fully dedicated. You have access to the full amount of bandwidth 100% of the time, and you will not share a connection with any other customer or server.

Q. Do you offer KVM over IP?
      A. Absolutely! All servers come with IPMI capability built in. 

Q. What are your accepted user policy?
      A. Warez-related, Bulk Mail, and Spam-related activities are strictly forbidden. CAN-SPAM, Copyright, DMCA, and other related US laws must be strictly followed. For more information, you can refer to our Term Of Use and Privacy Policy.

Why choose us?

-Over 15 Years of Experience
      Since 1997, we have been committed to providing innovative services along with rich features. 

-24x7 On-Site Tech Support - Zero Outsourcing
      In-house, around the clock support is available 24X7. We are always ready to resolve your issues.

-100% Network Uptime
      Our network is designed to be fully redundant. Downtime is not something that we will tolerate.

-Fast Server Deployment (within 24 hours)
      Your server will be well configured and ready for you to use within 24 hours of the order. We will take care of all your custom configurations.

-Security
      Your dedicated server will be hosted in our highly secured data center featuring 24x7x365 on-site security, mantraps with anti-tailgating technology, biometric and keycard access denial systems, CCTV throughout the facility interior and exterior, and data center access logs. Your data is safe with us. We protect it with our own server management expertise.

Payment Methods: PayPal & All Major Credit Cards.

All servers are located in our Tier 3+ Phoenix AZ data center. Please visit our website at www.wiredblade.com to open a ticket with our Sales department for any custom quote or any questions you may have. 

Email: info[@]wiredblade.com
      Phone: +1 (602) 904 5357

Skype ID: wired-blade