amuck-landowner

CloudFlare Issues in NA

Jonathan

Woohoo
Administrator
Verified Provider
I knew something like this would happen. This is one of the reasons why I won't use a CloudFlare.
We use them for "non-critical" services which won't negatively effect customers if down.  Helpdesk and such we don't, for reasons exactly like this.  I routed us around Cloudflare about 5 mins after discovering this.

Surprisingly I've not seen a huge influx of tickets from customers sites that use CF being down either, which is odd.

HalfEatenPie

The Irrational One
Retired Staff
There's no real 100% uptime for any service.  Saying you wouldn't use it because of a certain event is a pretty rash thing to say in my opinion.  The entire fact that they're able to get everything fixed within 30 minutes I'd say is why you should use them :) They took care of it all in a pretty fast/quick manner! 

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
How many people use just Cloudflare's DNS?  Tons. This surely put them offline too.  Total people impacted is much larger than the filter use only crowd.

Too many people use Cloudflare, just like too many people use random other huge businesses.

The BGP route issue is ancient and idiotic.  Better policing needs to be done to prevent such accidental sort of ability to advertise bogus routes.  Nothing stopping someones for intentionally advertising some bad routes and taking out swath of major services and in process flooding another network / provider.  What year is this?

DomainBop

Dormant VPSB Pathogen
There's no real 100% uptime for any service.  Saying you wouldn't use it because of a certain event is a pretty rash thing to say in my opinion.  The entire fact that they're able to get everything fixed within 30 minutes I'd say is why you should use them :)
The fact that their systems represent a single point of failure is the primary reason why I wouldn't use them for DNS.  This isn't the first time they've had an outage that put customers' websites offline.

tl;dr no single point of failure in my DNS = no unreachable websites if a DNS server (or two) goes down.

How many people use just Cloudflare's DNS?  Tons.
DomainTools' DailyChanges shows 515K sites using them for primary DNS. http://www.dailychanges.com/cloudflare.com/

I wonder what exactly happened at that Colombian ISP -- fat fingered an outbound prefix filter edit? Did they announce a bunch of other erroneous prefixes as well or specifically just Cloudflare prefixes?

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
We shall never know... People are always claiming admin bloopers to avoid liability.  Tech continues to be the bastard anarchists playground with barely a bottom beat for bad behavior.

There should be strict network checks in place to prevent such.  I'd wager to say there are and someone is misconfigured / running stupid / crappy upstream accepting the insanity.

Like anything else, once clowns see the ability to do such, copycats ensue.  There have been too many similar events to this in past 18 months....

Jasson.Pass

This is why I will not use CF or a free service. I've stuck more to paid CDNs and proxy services as better service. When something happens to free users people generally care less.

Amitz

I mainly use CloudFlare because they help me to hide the original IP of my server and do not forward any complaints. Is there anything comparable out there?

Dylan

I mainly use CloudFlare because they help me to hide the original IP of my server and do not forward any complaints. Is there anything comparable out there?
There's Incapsula, but I wouldn't consider them as good overall. They also have pretty low bandwidth limits.

Last edited by a moderator:
amuck-landowner