amuck-landowner

Colocrossing Attacking StopForumSpam

Munzy

It seems servers on colocrossing's network are attacking the popular spam prevention list and J.Biloh is being complicit in the attack by continuing to allow it to harm StopForumSpam and not taking action against attacking servers.

2015-08-15_10-50-00.png

Last edited by a moderator:

WSWD

Verified Provider
This is nothing new.  Might just be one hell of a coincidence, but any time I'd say anything bad about GVH or ColoCrossing over on WHT, I'd spend the next few days being DDoSed.  Didn't do anything, but I always thought it was funny.

Tyler

To be fair, a DDoS coming from the CC datacenter does not necessarily mean that CC was behind it. On the other hand, however, if they're negligent in resolving an abuse claim, well that's just bad business.

I understand it's a little more complex than that, though, because CC has a reputation for spam, so it does add a few additional motives there. After all, many of their customers "were" (take that with a grain of salt) spammers. Taking down Stop Forum Spam seems only to help their customers do better at their own job. But J.B. probably thinks I'm reading too much into it.

Munzy

To be fair, a DDoS coming from the CC datacenter does not necessarily mean that CC was behind it. On the other hand, however, if they're negligent in resolving an abuse claim, well that's just bad business.

I understand it's a little more complex than that, though, because CC has a reputation for spam, so it does add a few additional motives there. After all, many of their customers "were" (take that with a grain of salt) spammers. Taking down Stop Forum Spam seems only to help their customers do better at their own job. But J.B. probably thinks I'm reading too much into it.

If someone whom can stop a DDOS at CC and refuses to stop said attack then by all regards they are complicit in the act. Thus why my statement of including complicit.

Hxxx

What happened to the spam limiter in CC? >.>   I guess these servers are whitelisted?

DomainBop

Dormant VPSB Pathogen
What happened to the spam limiter in CC? >.>   I guess these servers are whitelisted?
ColoCrossing's new "spam limiter" is  only for email SPAM.  

StopForumSpam  (and also CleanTalk) measure and block  comment spam and other web based attacks.  ColoCrossing doesn't have any systems in check to block outgoing web attacks like brute forcers, comment spammers etc (they did put rate limiting in place earlier this year to block/limit outgoing DDoS attacks). CleanTalk is showing that 92.54% of the ColoCrossing IP addresses connecting to other websites/webservers are engaged in malicious activity: 92.54% SPAM rate (38,359 of 41,452 IPs observd)  https://cleantalk.org/blacklists/AS36352 TL;DR is cheap VPS prices and a bad reputation make ColoCrossing a magnet for attracting scumbags ,criminals, and abusers.

Biloh is fully aware of the problem because I have mentioned it to him numerous times on WHT...still waiting for a reply from him to my question "why do you think other companies should have to bear the costs of your failure to properly monitor and police your network"

Last edited by a moderator:

Hxxx

ColoCrossing's new "spam limiter" is  only for email SPAM.  

StopForumSpam  (and also CleanTalk) measure and block  comment spam and other web based attacks.  ColoCrossing doesn't have any systems in check to block outgoing web attacks like brute forcers, comment spammers etc (they did put rate limiting in place earlier this year to block/limit outgoing DDoS attacks). CleanTalk is showing that 92.54% of the ColoCrossing IP addresses connecting to other websites/webservers are engaged in malicious activity: 92.54% SPAM rate (38,359 of 41,452 IPs observd)  https://cleantalk.org/blacklists/AS36352 TL;DR is cheap VPS prices and a bad reputation make ColoCrossing a magnet for attracting scumbags ,criminals, and abusers.

Biloh is fully aware of the problem because I have mentioned it to him numerous times on WHT...still waiting for a reply from him to my question "why do you think other companies should have to bear the costs of your failure to properly monitor and police your network"
92.54 that's drastic. I would like to see what's Jon response to this.

DomainBop

Dormant VPSB Pathogen
Spam is terrible. DDoS is worse.

The short term effects of a DDoS attack are worse but if you're the typical company with employees (as opposed to a one-man 16 yr old summer host) you'll probably find that the total annual costs (mitigation/prevention, lost productivity, lost revenues) of dealing with email SPAM and comment SPAM  are much higher than the annual costs related to DDoS attacks.

Hxxx

Spam is terrible. DDoS is worse.

The short term effects of a DDoS attack are worse but if you're the typical company with employees (as opposed to a one-man 16 yr old summer host) you'll probably find that the total annual costs (mitigation/prevention, lost productivity, lost revenues) of dealing with email SPAM and comment SPAM  are much higher than the annual costs related to DDoS attacks.
Amen.

Munzy

If someone whom can stop a DDOS at CC and refuses to stop said attack then by all regards they are complicit in the act. Thus why my statement of including complicit.
Disregard what I previously wrote--had to re-read.

Any proof besides that tweet? What about any proof when CC was contacted?
None that I know of and have been watching. CC would of course say no they aren't ddosing SFS if asked however.

Jonathan

Woohoo
Verified Provider
Sure would be nice if people on their network would stop spamming me.  Somehow my address ended up on one of their mailing lists and CC won't stop it of course.

Jonathan

Woohoo
Verified Provider
Do you know their personal emails?  I'll forward directly to them when I send it to spamcop :D

Jonathan

Woohoo
Verified Provider
Do you know their personal emails?  I'll forward directly to them when I send it to spamcop :D

You can email Jon directly at:  jbiloh at colocrossing.com .   I think they just ignore Spamcop reports...
Figured as much but I'll report for a day then our filters kick in pretty good for a while at blocking them.  I'll start copying him too :p

amuck-landowner