amuck-landowner

cPanel certification?

Minmeo

I want to one day work for a web hosting company and maybe even one day open my own. Though I am not ready yet, I am curious if anyone has there cPanel certificate from the website https://university.cpanel.net/ . Would a L1 certification be good enough to get a entry level job with a web host? I have a cpanel VPS that I operate but it runs smoothly and not much to fix so it makes it kind of hard to learn new things. Would you say the certification is good to have?

MannDude

Just a dude
vpsBoard Founder
I'd say it probably wouldn't hurt to have it, though experience in this industry seems to reign over certifications and proper training (at least in my experience). I'm not cPanel certified though something I may consider doing if others chime in that it's worthwhile to obtain it. 

I'd say that the L1 test is probably worth while, because you can take it online it appears. You get 3 chances to take it and pass it in a 30 day period, so if you fail the first time you'll at least know the sort of stuff it asks and can re-take it when ready. Hell I may take it just to say I have the certification which may come handy the next time my employer reviews me and I request a raise... Looks like the others require you to be on-site... so unsure if it'd be worth it to fly to Texas, especially depending on wherever you're located to take the L2 or higher test...  I'd probably only do that if your focus is providers who deal with mostly shared/reseller hosting.

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
cPanel certification to me is akin to a toilet cleaner trophy.   Yeah people use it and all.... But cPanel was targetted to make life simple for newbie-itis folks.   Intended to hand it to said customers and enable them to do something with their limited knowledge... click click click. 

Lots of providers just don't provide support for cPanel or point to reading the manual.

To be employable, more general Linux skills are the ticket.   Being able to learn and research on the fly goes a huge way coupled with basic familiarity in Linux.

Ticket'landia is your starting area when you have a firm grasp or maybe friends with someone crazily doing a new venture.

Xenfinity

Verified Provider
I've got my "L1: cPanel Base Certification: Technical" certification, and it really doesn't mean anything.  I got a web hosting job in 2013 probably because I wrote in my application that I had 5 years of prior cPanel experience and 6 years of Linux experience.  It was after I got hired that the web host asked me to take the certification test.

As @drmike said, it's the Linux skills that matter.

Nick

Last edited by a moderator:

Lee

Retired Staff
Verified Provider
Retired Staff
Certification is more important that it is made out to be in my view.  The usual views here that it's largely useless, but I bet a sizeable chunk of cPanel hosts could not pass the cPanel technical assessment within 3 attempts.  I further bet that a significant number of VPS hosts could not pass a basic Linux competency assessment.

How many times do you see hosts asking basic questions to fix an issue?  On WHT, all the time.

If you believe your skills to be that good then it's surely more worthy to go through the cPanel Uni to demonstrate you can do it rather than saying your "experience" is more important.

Having 10 years experience in anything means nothing unless you can prove you know how to put that knowledge to good use and using best practice.  Certification will not prove that however it goes much further towards demonstrating it.

amuck-landowner