amuck-landowner

Dealing with eChecks through PayPal

XFS_Duke

XFuse Solutions, LLC
Verified Provider
Hey guys,

How do you guys deal with eChecks through PayPal? Are they easy to "dispute" on the customers side? How easy is it to win those disputes versus normal PayPal payments.

Any more information about eChecks from people who have accepted them would be awesome....

Thanks.

MannDude

Just a dude
vpsBoard Founder
All I know is that they take multiple days to clear, and customers get pissy when they send one thinking it's an automatic payment thus demanding automatic setup.

I'd suggest waiting for it to clear before setting anyone up, or unsuspending someone due to non-payment (unless they're a long term client you trust).

As far as your actual questions regarding them, no idea. :)

Last edited by a moderator:

SkylarM

Verified Provider
I haven't had an eCheck in ages. We usually prefer not to deal with them, and do not consider the invoice paid until it's cleared.

XFS_Duke

XFuse Solutions, LLC
Verified Provider
Yea, I get the whole "wait till it's cleared" thing... I have an upset customer because they sent an eCheck and yea... Just haven't had many of them and kinda needed more info from people who've received them and possibly had a dispute or something...

I'll make this forum full eventually! lol

tragic

Verified Provider
Waiting for the eCheck to clear is the best bet, especially if it doesn't go through at the end.

cubixcloud

Verified Provider
We don't accept eCheck through PayPal but Authorize.Net. We allow service to be rendered. It's usually only used by big businesses rather pay by check so not an issue for us. We've had one small business pay with eCheck before and it was returned and that haven't happened in 6 years. So, definitely watch it.The best way is credit/debit directly or PayPal IMO less headache.

Most folks that pay via check will pay with company check. We call their bank to make sure it will clear before we deposit the check.

AuroraZero

Sometimes Paypal will pull funds from a savings account as an e-check also. It has happened to me before when I sent money to someone. I forgot to change to the payment methods when I added my savings account way back when. It cleared fine and everything but it was a bugger until it did. Not saying this is what happened in your case but just what happened to me is all.

Magiobiwan

Insert Witty Statement Here
Verified Provider
I've had what happened to AuroraZero happen to me before in the past as well. I don't feel like giving PayPal my SSN and stuff yet (they haven't REQUIRED me to yet) so I can't add money to my balance, so it pulls from my bank account if the balance gets low. IIRC it was on an invoice for Ramnode I had it go to eCheck, and they accepted it fine. I finally found how to reorder payment sources, so now it prefers my Debit card over bank account and transactions can be processed instantly now if that happens, rather than held for a few days while the eCheck clears.

shovenose

Verified Provider
eCheck? Not only is it slow, unsafe, insecure, and outdated like a REAL check but it's through PayPal.

Don't get me wrong, PayPal is still my favorite way to accept and send payments, but it's just another more complicated step.

HostSailor

Verified Provider
There is no better than payments via PayPal using their balance or using their card/bank, echeck is just a pain for every business, they take ages to clear and customers would get very annoyed by that, and you just can't take the risk of giving them services because the check might and might not clear.

RH-Dan

I never liked e-cheques, when I get one from a customer I get the feeling it would bounce and 9/10 of the time it does. So yeah bad experience with them, but haven't got one for a long time though.

Flapadar

Verified Provider
We have a few customers who pay by echeck. We don't consider the invoice paid until it clears - if they get annoyed we just link them to the paypal echeck page. 

JFSG

Verified Provider
Over the years I've seen lots of echeck payments but luckily they all went through. Most of them unknowingly sent one and got frustrated when their account wasn't setup instantly. Some were hard to please but eventually they were all resolved amicably. 

amuck-landowner