amuck-landowner

"Definitely Possible" : Microsoft Considers Open Source Windows.

joepie91

Chrome is based on Linux.  I get the purist approach here that it *isn't Linux* in the open and hack at it sort of spirit.
It's even worse than that. Due to kernel modifications, it is apparently not even possible to use ChromeOS driver builds on a regular Linux distro, which would be the source of aforementioned switching-to-a-real-distro issues. Whether you can install a 'real' distro depends on whether the Chromebook in question uses off-the-shelf components (so to say), or custom components that are only used in Chromebooks (assuming no open-source driver is available for them).

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
It's even worse than that. Due to kernel modifications, it is apparently not even possible to use ChromeOS driver builds on a regular Linux distro, which would be the source of aforementioned switching-to-a-real-distro issues. Whether you can install a 'real' distro depends on whether the Chromebook in question uses off-the-shelf components (so to say), or custom components that are only used in Chromebooks (assuming no open-source driver is available for them).
I agree with all of that.  True indeed.   Same hardware nightmare still remains part of the Linux experience.

I know folks are buying the Chromebooks and wiping things and running to more open Linux.  Justifies some small 1-7% of total Chromebook sales I'd guesstimate.

Time for me to run off and see what OS Stallman is pushing these days.  Been meaning to again try going in that very open direction.

amuck-landowner